DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Video Out Jack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/88871-video-out-jack.html)

John Bochko March 13th, 2007 07:06 PM

Video Out Jack

When on a tripod, I use the rca video out jack connected to a monitor instead of the viewfinder. Mysteriously, there is no longer any output. It has been flaky the last couple times I've shot but I thought the power connection to the monitor was bad. I've triple checked everything cables, monitor, etc. I recall reading about this problem before I bought my XL2 (self-fulfilling prophecy). Anybody with similiar problem or fix?

Greg Boston March 13th, 2007 07:09 PM

Make sure that the barely visible, little black switch that selects RCA or BNC is in the RCA position. Sounds like it could have been bumped.

-gb-

John Bochko March 13th, 2007 07:16 PM

Thanks. I was really hoping that was it - no cigar. Seems like the jack itself is now very loose and cheaply made. I could not have plugged/unplugged into it more than twice in the last year.

Mark Sasahara March 13th, 2007 07:46 PM

I often use a pigtail, a short length of BNC cable and a BNC barrel to connect to a long cable going to the monitor. That way, the camera's BNC connector doesn't get too much torquing. I also loop it around the metal bracket on the back, so if it does get yanked, the force goes to the bracket, not the connector.

On the DVX, the monitor output is on a flimsy board. Plugging and unplugging fifty times a day on a shoot, puts a lot of stress on the connector and board.

This may be a manufacturing defect, if you've only plugged and unplugged a few times. Have you tried the S-video connector?

John Bochko March 13th, 2007 08:30 PM

S-video output is fine. I guess I'll just have to use an S-video to RCA adapter. I like your BNC idea. Can I not use the BNC output to RCA? The only video input my monitor has is RCA.

Richard Hunter March 13th, 2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Bochko (Post 641287)
S-video output is fine. I guess I'll just have to use an S-video to RCA adapter. I like your BNC idea. Can I not use the BNC output to RCA? The only video input my monitor has is RCA.

You can use a BNC-RCA adaptor, or a cable that has BNC at one end, RCA at the other. It's the same format of video signal.

Richard

John Bochko March 16th, 2007 01:02 PM

Update......BNC to RCA no signal output so I guess that circuit is connected. My gut tells me it's that little switch. It just doesn't feel right. S-video output is fine so used an S-video to RCA and all is well in XL2/lcd land. If anyone can shed any light your input is appreciated. The thought of sending the camera off for repair is not welcome. Anyone know turnaround time for repair? I did register for the super-duper bells and whistles repair program.

Joseph Andolina March 17th, 2007 05:26 PM

John, I unfortunetly am in the same boat as you are with my XL2. So, I feel your pain. I've had the camera for over 2 years, going on 3. First my RCA outs lost signal. Started noticing the problem when video started cutting in and out. Then after a time, a bunch of shoots later, using the BNC out, I'm noticing video now cutting in and out when touching the BNC connector. So I'm suspecting that will be going south as well. I've not had a chance to send it in for repairs yet due to a few projects I had to finish up first. But I'll be planning on doing so very shortly now. Unfortunetly I'm past my manaufacturers warranty, and will be relying on the 4-year MAC extended. I also am a member of the XL2 Owners Club. I called Canon to get directions. They said I can still ship it directly to Canon and they would then get it to the MAC people. They said that since I'm a XL2 Owner Member, anything that would be over 5 days out of service, would qualify me to receive a loaner. They did send me a box with foam packing to get the body out with a referance #.
Have you called Canon yet yourself?