DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Teaser Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/90045-xl2-teaser-footage.html)

Scott Di Lalla March 27th, 2007 11:40 AM

XL2 Teaser Footage

This is the teaser from my new film. We're shooting the whole film with an XL2, 24p.

Enjoy!

http://www.brittown.com/swfobject1-5...r%20large.html

Nick Vaughan March 27th, 2007 11:52 AM

Hey, you've got a beautiful look going there!

Michael Nistler March 27th, 2007 04:33 PM

Cool Video

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the excellent footage - the camera work, lighting, and pacing was fantastic. My only suggestion would be to get realistic live audio from the bikes and mix it at a stronger level. For us bikers, nothing will get the adrenelan going like a cycle firing up, cruising (especially doppler effect), or throttling up. But if I've misread your target audience, then perhaps the focus on a music video is best.

Good luck, Michael

Alan James March 27th, 2007 08:53 PM

I'm a pretty harsh critic of this kinda stuff. I usually don't comment on peoples work because its so bad and I don't want to put them off of trying in the future. This on the other hand is worth commenting on. Very nice look, very nice editing, very nice music and pacing. Very nice overall.

The only thing is that you exported it incorrectly. The pixel aspect ratio is wrong. It looks like you filmed in 16X9 and exported it to 4X3, compacting it horizontally, or stretching it vertically, whichever way you wanna look at it. But thats a technical thing not a creative one.

It also looks like you filmed it at 24p and edited in a 30p sequence, or by some other way something funky is goin on with your pulldown. Again technical not creative.

Creatively its very good.

Dale Guthormsen March 27th, 2007 10:06 PM

Scott,

I like the look for certain. I love how smooth your freway footage looks!! how did you do that??

I recognised some of the grounds you were biking on. I grew up in encino and my first bike was a triumph 6 t, if I recall the number correctly, but that was eons ago.

Keep up the good work

Look forward to seeing more!!

Scott Di Lalla March 28th, 2007 12:32 AM

Thank you for all the constructive feedback. Also, thanks to this forum for answering a handful of questions in the past.

Michael - We also feel that the motorcycle sound is very important in this film. Our first film, "Choppertown" opened with a bunch of bikes roaring to life. It was very impressionable. This is our first teaser so we thought to cut it mostly to music. However, we are still trying to think of the best way to get high speed bike sounds without the wind tearing into it as much as it does.

Alan - Thanks for your comments and you are 100% right about something weird happened during exporting. I went back to it after reading your post and noticed there was something strange. We are trying to figure out what went wrong. For the record it was shot in 24p, 2332, 16X9, 1/48.

Hey Dale - We're not too far from Encino. However, most of the riding shots were on the OC freeways. The freeway shots were all hand held but I was standing out of the sun roof of an 84 benz. In the situations of a CU it was a lot harder. In that case I would lay down on the roof and place a towel under the camera to limit vibration.

Cole McDonald March 28th, 2007 10:55 AM

for audio, I envision some form of cone (like a rocket nose) with a shotggun mic mounted in it facing backwards with a wind diffuser (dead cat/fur/whatever you want to call it)...if you have the shotgun mic recessed in the sound missle, and cut fringes into the trailing end of the tube...ala the sunroof on a vw passat to break up the flow of the wind over it...you should be able to get relatively wind free sound out of the trailing end of the rig.

Adam Bray March 29th, 2007 11:22 PM

I liked it too. As mentioned, it looks squished or stretched or something. I noticed it instantly and was trying to figure out what the problem was. I don't think the timeline was wrong. I did that before and it was painfully obvious and the video had horizontal bars going across the screen. I don't see them on yours.