DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   To clarify 1/48 and 1/60 shutter speed xl2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/90923-clarify-1-48-1-60-shutter-speed-xl2.html)

John L. Miller April 6th, 2007 10:22 PM

To clarify 1/48 and 1/60 shutter speed xl2

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I here some say if you have slower shutter speeds your panning can be jerky. I assume this means 1/60 shutter speed will NOT be as jerky as 1/48? This should be elementary to me, but it seems I read the opposite somewhere else. Please advise. Thanks. J

Greg Boston April 6th, 2007 10:27 PM

1/48 shutter is used on 24 fps to emulate the motion blur of a standard film camera shooting 24 fps with a 180 degree shutter (each frame gets exposed twice at 1/48 sec interval).

Use 1/60 with 30P or 60i. Use higher shutter speeds on whatever frame rate to 'freeze motion' within each frame as you would on a still camera.

-gb-

John L. Miller April 6th, 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 655555)
1/48 shutter is used on 24 fps to emulate the motion blur of a standard film camera shooting 24 fps with a 180 degree shutter (each frame gets exposed twice at 1/48 sec interval).

Use 1/60 with 30P or 60i. Use higher shutter speeds on whatever frame rate to 'freeze motion' within each frame as you would on a still camera.

-gb-

When you say "higher" you mean faster? What would be the difference in the look if I shot the 24P at 1/60 Vs. 1/48? Thanks. J

Greg Boston April 6th, 2007 10:47 PM

You'll get slightly less motion blur and if you're going for 'the film look' it won't have the right motion blur.

Best way to learn about shutter is to find a fast moving object and shoot it in 30P using slower to faster shutter speeds. You'll need a lot of light at the fastest speeds but you can freeze the motion within each frame.

-gb-

Dale Guthormsen April 6th, 2007 11:09 PM

John,

Thought I would share a thought with you. When I started video four years back ( I shot film in the 60's) I had decided video is video, and film is film. Without intending I kept experimenting with all the video until I got a look that I liked. Ironicly, my footage I shoot resembles film more than video and I made no intent of doing it that way. By trying out presets from this forum, adjusting shutterspeeds to get the look I want it just turned out that way.

On most of my shooting I have leaned to 30 p shot at 1/60. I tend to use the technicolor type presets. I do not like the flicker I see when shooting faster.

So, you just need to put in the time shooting and trying to get things to produce them the way you like to see them on the big screen, then shoot lots and enjoy.

John L. Miller April 7th, 2007 12:09 AM

Funny you say that Dale, the last thing I shot was in 30P at 1/60 shutter speed. I liked everything about that look. Thanks.