DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Video feed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/95954-video-feed.html)

Vipul Amin June 6th, 2007 06:25 PM

Video feed

I am shooting few weddings this year and I want to give my clients an option for live feed where they can watch the event on the TVs in Hall.

I have looked around and could not find good information on live video feed. May be my serach string was not good..

I don't want to run cables...I want to use wireless video transmission..

What are my options? Can you suggest few models/ brands that you trust and that has worked for you?

Vipul Amin

Edward Carlson June 6th, 2007 08:08 PM

I don't have any suggestions, just a warning. Broadcast quality wireless video systems are expensive, and they are not as reliable as cable. Most cheaper systems use IR, so you need a direct line of sight to the receiver. I would rather spend a few bucks on a 100 foot BNC cable than a few hundred or even thousand on a wireless video transmitter.

Vipul Amin June 8th, 2007 05:14 PM

I just hate to walk around with bunch of cables..since I will be moving from one spot to another...We do 80% of our shooting on handheld..unless during the speeches where 100% on tripods...

I looked at B&H and Adorama...there are few options but not that good..

Edward Carlson June 8th, 2007 08:02 PM

Are you going to be sending all the cameras to the TV? You only really need one cable for video. If you are sending all your cameras (I assume 3, since that's the wedding standard) you would need three wireless systems. You will need a switcher either way, unless each camera will have it's own TV.

Vipul Amin June 8th, 2007 09:59 PM

Na....Currently I am shooting with one camera..That is what my clients require...Now...I am planning to offer them live feed capabilities using one or two cameras...In case of two cameras I will using only one camera for live feed...So in either case, I sure can use cable....

Joseph Hutson June 30th, 2007 05:31 PM

Please Help!!!!!

I am in the same boat. Our church just bought a couple of Z1U's and and we r going 2 be moving around a LOT. I need some wireless options!

Please offer more advice! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Joseph Hutson

Tony Nguyen June 30th, 2007 08:24 PM

Warning

I've had some experience with these systems before first hand with my church. We were doing a live feed of mass service one day and our church is over crowded, therefore, we had to broadcast to the social hall on a projector.

The transmitter and receiver was about 150 feet away. Tested it before the event.... it was on but the video quality sucked... kinda like a bad reception on a antenna TV. But it was good enough.

Well... 10 minutes before mass starts... we turn it back on just to be sure... the system goes BLANK.... no transmission detected. Played with it for about 3 minutes with no luck.

Good thing we had a box of coax cables lying around and quickly attached heads and connectors. Yea..... we had make our own line and ran it across the ceiling. Mass starts and we ran into another problem. The line was a bit long so there was major loss of signal but we got that fixed AFTER 10 minutes into mass.

Whew... what a shot in the gut! I suggest you stay away from wireless unless you are able to dish out some major cash to get a decent one. And even if you run cables, be sure that its not too long, but if you have to make it long I suggest you use signal boosters. Good Luck!

Joseph Hutson June 30th, 2007 10:42 PM

70 ft wide

Our church building is 70 ft. wide, so we won't have to have run lines too far, but we would REALLY want wireless if at all possible.

Joseph

Joseph Hutson June 30th, 2007 10:46 PM

How much Money?

I have heard, "If you want to get wireless video, u will pay a 'bit' of cash." I know it will be pricey, but how much, and which "pricey" wireless systems are the ones to buy?

JOSEPH

Tony Nguyen July 1st, 2007 01:15 AM

Here are some on B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/2...cessories.html

I think for your event, you can pull it off with one of the RF-Links. But you get what you pay for. That was what I used at my event. But maybe it'll work for you since it is open space and not as far.

Andy Harding July 1st, 2007 11:22 PM

I'd do a search for video downlinks and BlackWidow, a lot of the RC guys use them for setting up video and stills on RC helicopter and planes from ground monitors.

They arn't cheap but as other have said you get what you pay for, I'm not sure of the quality due to the stuff on line is compressed to show it online but I have one on the way myself so will be able to post the results when it arrives.
Ranges vary but the mid range one i've ordered goes up to a mile and a half (air to ground) less ground to ground of course. which may be a bit of an over kill for your church, but you never know.