DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Original microphone picks up the noise of zoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/96545-original-microphone-picks-up-noise-zoom.html)

Edgar Dubrovskiy June 14th, 2007 12:47 PM

Original microphone picks up the noise of zoom

Is it normal, that I can hear the noise of zoom on camera? Like very low, bass kind of noise, when zooming. It does go onto tape and doesn't sound normal. In indors scenes it is hearable on playback.
Does anyone else have this problem and do you think it is a microphone problem? Because when I went to Canon shop, they tried to put the lens from the XL1 and I still could hear the zoom going. Is it the mic problem - just too sensitive?
Whould you suggest to play with settings? I have tryed that; and to loose the zoom noise I have to put 'ATT' on and bring the chanels up. It doesn't make the good sound thou.

Cheers a lot!

Josh Bass June 14th, 2007 01:02 PM

It's normal; it's the result of the zoom motor being inches from the mic. There a device called a "system isolator" that runs about $100. It's just a small piece that fits between the viewfinder assembly and main camera body, designed to move the viewfinder assembly (which contains the mic holder) forward, to get it further from the source of the noise. I use the old one (made for the XL1s); I believe there's newer version--and it seems to work. Though nothing I ever shoot using only the onboard mic is critical audio, so zoom noise is okay even if gets picked up.

Gareth Watkins June 14th, 2007 02:33 PM

Hi there

This is pretty normal on every camera, I've ever used unfortunately, despite shock mounts...

Only advice I have found effective is don't shoot and zoom... looks crap anyway...
You can get just as much parasite sound from knocks on the rear of the mic too. So even if you have a top notch shock mount, the slightest knock causes audio problems.

Solution: As Jon says, use off camera mics for important audio...this is the only real solution, I've found to work.

I do it this way and you get less problems.

cheers
Gareth

Markus Nord June 15th, 2007 02:09 AM

A second way would be to have the mic on a stand or a second person how holds the mic on a boom pole. I know… It’s not a new invention but my mic (RØDE NTG-2) is really sensitive so everything I do (touch, zoom, scratch, etc) on the camera will be recorded. I need to move the mic away from the camera, if it’s a shot with a “pan” or zoom.

Edit: Sorry... I did not read that the question was about the original mic.
Markus Nord

Edgar Dubrovskiy June 15th, 2007 05:14 AM

Thanks a lot!

R.W. Swanson June 17th, 2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar Dubrovskiy (Post 697086)
Thanks a lot!

If you get a sund isolator, be sure it's the second version of the XL Mount. From what I hear the version that has XL1 in the title doesn't allow for various size mics, but the newer one does.

I have that one and the problem is now non exsistant w/ my ME-66.