DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   DV Tape for Xl2 and Gl2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/96898-dv-tape-xl2-gl2.html)

Glenn Mitchell June 19th, 2007 01:44 PM

DV Tape for Xl2 and Gl2

Hello all! I've got three questions.
1. What brand of miniDV tape is most popular with the group?

2. Is there any truth to the notion that problems will develop in the camera when the brand of tape is changed?

3. Is anybody noticing an appreciable difference with different tape formulations?

Richard Alvarez June 19th, 2007 02:21 PM

Glen
Welcome to the forum. This issue has been discussed at length, ad nauseum through a number of threads. Scan 'the thin black line' forum for the topics.

Bottom line - The 'concensus' as such, is that it's generally a good idea to stick with one brand of tape - either wet or dry. And that if changing brands, run a head cleaner through in between.

If you want a companies specific 'white paper' stating as much - good luck. You won't find one.

As to brand preferences, everyones got their own. I stick with Pannasonic in my XL2, I like the AY-DVM63PQ's. Why? Because my dealer recommended them. And in two discussion I have personally had with Canon Service, they recommended NOT using 'wet' brands.

But like I said, there are plenty of threads you can read up on, and the discussion goes on forever. SO don't expect a definitive answer.

Mike Andrade June 19th, 2007 10:25 PM

I've used the Panasonic tapes Richard mentions for 4 years now in 3 different cameras and had excellent results.

Mark Bournes June 20th, 2007 05:46 AM

I use the sony premium brand tapes and have never had a problem.

Richard Alvarez June 20th, 2007 09:02 AM

I think you'll hear that a lot. "I've used XYZ brand for ABC years, and never had a problem." I think that is indicative of the 'don't change brands' success. Pick a brand, and stick with it.

Jonathan Jones June 20th, 2007 09:50 AM

Panasonics here as well, due to dealer recommendation.
-Jon

Tony Nguyen June 20th, 2007 09:33 PM

I use only Fujifilm with no problems. Just because its cheaper I guess.

Mark Bournes June 21st, 2007 07:49 AM

I think the best advice we can give is pick one brand and stick with it.

Glenn Mitchell June 23rd, 2007 01:28 PM

DV Tape for Xl2 and Gl2

Thanks all for posting. What I'm hearing is "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream." Sound advice. I'll follow your recommendations. Thanks.

Eduardo Ramos June 25th, 2007 02:47 PM

dv tape for xl2

I just started with the XL2, using AY-DVM63PQ by Panasonic, don't plan to change after seeing some stunning results! Some dealers on the web offer them in bulk, with slight discounts if you buy 10 or more. They are normally about $3.60 or so each.

Bill Westbury June 25th, 2007 06:47 PM

Another very satisfied user of Panasonic DVM63PQ tape.

Bill