DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-H1 -> DvCam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/102958-xl-h1-dvcam.html)

John Benton September 6th, 2007 01:18 AM

XL-H1 -> DvCam

Getting ready for a projection (tonight!!!) and I am trying to Print to Tape in Final Cut (Studio 2) to a DvCam Deck.
The project is HDV 1080 24p, but dvCam is not High Def

1) What should I do ?
2) Downconvert? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
- J
(egads I wanted to project the HD. Grrr)

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 07:53 AM

You'll have to down convert to standard definition, since the DVCAM deck is standard definition only.

You can print to tape back to your XL H1, using it as a deck, and that will create a High Definition master for you. Then play that tape back from your XL H1 with the HD Down Convert option on. This will send a standard definition signal out by FireWire straight into the DVCAM deck. If you do it this way, you'll get a master copy on HDV and a standard def version on DVCAM.

John Benton September 6th, 2007 09:39 AM

Thank You, Chris !!!

I will try this now. In Printing to tape Final Cut is taking an hour to "conforming HDV Video" and then I assume it will go to the H1.
I am looking at the manual and I don't see an "HD downconvert" option..?
but i just did a forum search and assume it in the menu...

Thanks for the speed of your response!

J

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 09:58 AM

John

Power up your XL H1 in VCR Playback mode.

Go to VCR Menu > Signal Setup > Next Page > HD Down-Conv > On.

Make sure you do this before connecting to your Mac.

If already connected, then power down, disconnect, power up,
make the menu setting above, power down, reconnect, power up.

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 10:06 AM

Also... the standard def copy you'll be making on that DVCAM deck is going to be squished (anamorphic) because there is no way to add a letterbox with the in-camera down convert from your XL H1. Is the projector you're going to be using capable of displaying an anamorphic image? Look for a 16:9 aspect ratio selection on the projector... I would hate to see you get stuck with an undesirable "spaghetti western" effect.

Which model DVCAM deck is it? Maybe it has the option to automatically add letterbox over its outputs... I thought DVCAM decks could do that... anybody else here know for certain?

Otherwise you'll have to down convert in Final Cut and add the letterbox matte yourself, and print that version to tape for direct recording from Final Cut out to the DVCAM deck.

John Benton September 6th, 2007 10:16 AM

Chris - It's a Sony DVCAM Deck...

also I am getting a pop up when I try and print that says

"the audio and Video devices don't match:
-HDV (1440x1080) 24p
Please verify that the audio and video outputs are
externally routed to the intended device(s)"

I know you probably can't troubleshoot blind, But I haven't seen this before

Thanks,
J

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 10:27 AM

Try searching our Final Cut forum John:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Post there if you can't find an answer. I'm not a Final Cut guy yet.

All DVCAM decks are Sony -- got a specific model number? Good luck,

John Benton September 6th, 2007 10:33 AM

Thanks Chris,

Chris Hurd September 6th, 2007 10:48 AM

See this PDF document from Graeme Nattress: "Standards Conversion V2.5 Instructions"

http://www.nattress.com/Downloads/pd...tions%20V2.pdf

By the way, the Sony DSR30 will output anamorphic video with letterbox, but I don't think the other common DVCAM decks have this feature (DSR11, DSR20, DSR25, DSR40 etc.). What model will you be using?

Michael Galvan September 7th, 2007 06:35 AM

John,

Hey buddy, hope this is not to late for you.

1. Export your HD sequence as a self contained file in its native format.
2. Bring that into MPEG Streamclip and convert to a DV/NTSC file.
3. Bring that into a new sequnce and match the sequnce to the files properties (the new FCP should ask you upon laying the file on the timeline, say yes).
4. Apply a -33.33 in the distort field option in the Motion tabe section. THis will effectively letterbox it within the 4:3 frame.
5. Connect your deck to your mac and make sure your firewire settings match those to control the deck.
6. Proceed to export to tape.

You can call me if you want to if you need any help. I'm sure I'm late though as you needed this last night :)

Mike

John Benton September 7th, 2007 10:49 AM

Michael,
Thanks. This is the most comprehensive answer. It does come too late, but I was able to screen the film last night...(Thank God),
But I appreciate the response.
Hope that the move to the city is treating you well,
J

Bill Pryor September 7th, 2007 05:03 PM

Next time, in FCP you can also open an SD sequence, drop your edited HDV sequence into the new sequence, and it will convert it. You have to resize a bit before you render. You'd want to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio. DVCAM decks will keep it too. Not long ago I dropped an HDV clip into a 4:3 SD timeline, blew it up and resized with Motion, and it looked better, actually, than my original SD stuff shot with other cameras. FCP converted the HDV 16:9 to letterbox automatically and even did a pulldown. Sometimes FCP is smarter than I am. When in doubt, just drop it in and see what happens.