DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Firewire down convert (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/112371-firewire-down-convert.html)

Steve Graham January 14th, 2008 02:14 PM

Firewire down convert

Someone was mentioning there are menu controls for ouput size but I can't seem to find any. Where do I look for these? Thanks.

Gintaras Mockus January 28th, 2008 03:14 AM

Do you mean these
on VCR/play mode signal setup > next page > hd downconvert > on?

Steve Graham February 7th, 2008 08:41 AM

Menu item is greyed out

I can't access hd/downconvert pick. anybody know why? thanks.

Barry Gregg February 7th, 2008 09:49 AM

Set the camera to VCR mode, no firewire plugged in, the set menu option will be available. Turn camera off and then plug-in the firewire.

Steve Graham February 7th, 2008 09:50 AM

Thanks Barry!

many thanks for quick reply

Rich Woodrick February 8th, 2008 12:22 AM

Thanks

As a proud owner of a new A1 this forum has been such a great help in learning this new beauty. I had the same problem as Steve not being able to access PLAYBACK STD and HD DOWN-CONV. Removing the IEEE cable worked. Funny how the manual doesnt point that out. Thanks Barry...

Steve Graham February 8th, 2008 09:45 AM

better when off

I turned on downconvert and the capture looked terrible so the default being off was ok.

Henrik Joensen February 13th, 2008 12:26 AM

Why would you down convert and what are the advantages of it actually?

Dave Gosley February 14th, 2008 04:33 AM

I have been merrily making projects in SD (with an H1)for a while and getting on ok with it. Recently I decided to have a go at HD and so filmed my next project using it.

When it came to uploading it into my pc I found that it would not import HD.
The old DVSTORM 2 Pro card installed can not handle it - so I used the downconvert to enable me to finish the project for the client - who luck would have it was not interested in HD as the finished project was for web streaming anyway.

In order to use HD I now have to buy an EDIUS NX card (retail £999) however I am informed I can buy it on offer at the mo - bundled with a full version of the software I already have (EDIUS Pro 4) - so I will have two copies (they won't sell the card without the software) for only £799 - woop de doo! Think I'll set up a second dedicated machine for my SONY eVX2000 - unnecessary but hell I'm forced into buying the software to get the card!

Advantages of downconvert? Enables you to get material of the camera - onto systems that can't handle and don't recognise HD otherwise you would have to wait until you find some kind person with the right kit and edit on their system.

There's a reason to use the downconvert.

Dave Gosley February 14th, 2008 04:41 AM

FireWire warning

I also remember from somewhere else in these forums to be careful when reconnecting your firewire.

I have seen in the DVi forums that we are advised to connect the firewire to the camera and the computer with them both turned off and then power them both up unless you have an isolation port.

Apparently it hs something to do with different voltages - touching different contacts in the act of plug insertion.