DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 user upgrading to XLH1 - Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/118661-xl2-user-upgrading-xlh1-questions.html)

Tim Bickford April 5th, 2008 02:32 PM

XL2 user upgrading to XLH1 - Questions

Hello-

I plan on selling my XL2 and upgrading to a "used" XLH1. B&H is selling XLH1's for $6100. Is there anyone here that has purchased a HXL1 (used) from B&H? If so... was it as described? Can you purchase at warentee?

There is a XLH1 listed in the classifieds (dvinfo) for $5000. the camera has approximatly 70hrs on it. Is that a lot? Would B&H be able to tell me the hours on the ones that they sell?

Thanks...

Chris Soucy April 5th, 2008 03:50 PM

Hi Tim............

Starting at the end and working backwards........

1. There is, as far as I know, no drum hours counter on the Canons, so, no.

2. 70 hours is peanuts

3.$5000 sounds like the deal of the century, quite frankly

4. Read their web site for warranty info on used sales, I don't know.

5. I don't have an H1 so cannot comment on B&H's description of used same, tho' am puzzled why you think they would not be truthfull in their description, they are a very reputable company with nothing to gain and a lot to lose by shonky practices. As with anything tho', if they can't see a fault, they can't describe it.

Not asked, but I'll answer it anyway - better leave enough in the kitty for a decent tripod/ head combo, the HD Canons (HD anything, thinking about it) will very quickly show up any imperfections in the support system.

CS

Tim Bickford April 6th, 2008 06:40 AM

Chris-

Thanks..

I have purchased almost all of my equipment from B&H. They are great! I have never purchased anything USED from them.

I appreciated your responses.

Thank you!

Patrick Byers April 6th, 2008 10:13 AM

Ditto for me. I've purchased tons of equipment there and never had any issue with them.

Floris van Eck April 6th, 2008 03:20 PM

There is a drum hours counter on the XL-H1 but as far as I know, only Canon can check the drum hours counter in their service center.

So the only way to find out is have them check/clean the unit and ask for the meter reading of the particular camera.

A.D.Wyatt Norton April 9th, 2008 11:35 AM

I've purchased used nikkor lenses from B&H. Their assessment of condition was accurate. As to their overall trust factor: I've bought innumerable things from B&H and they have performed flawlessly. A DV cam has a lot of fragile moving parts, and transport elements that wear. With a Canon, it would be nice to know if the unit itself has recently been spec'd by Canon at a service center. The cost of that (since you're not buying the camera new) is well worth it, even just for the peace of mind. 70 hours? That really is nothing as a factor.

Tim Bickford April 9th, 2008 07:12 PM

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the feedback!

Marco Leavitt April 30th, 2008 12:34 PM

I bought a used 1K fresnel from B&H. They have a numbered rating system on the condition, and I found it to be brutally accurate. (well used, but working).