DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Nikon lenses on the XLh1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/123891-nikon-lenses-xlh1.html)

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2008 01:35 PM

Nikon lenses on the XLh1

Hi guys

Quick question. If you use Nikon stills lenses through a glassless type adapter on the XLh1 would you still have control of shutter speed?

I think with the fujinon XL fit x14 lens on the XL the lack of communication meant shutter speeds were unavailable !!?? http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

Cheers
Mat

Oleg Kalyan June 16th, 2008 01:49 PM

Оf course you have control, you'd shoot everything in Manual mode, setting up your diafragm on the lens and shutter on camera.

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2008 02:29 PM

OK....so I'll re-phrase the question. On the link above what are they refering to when they mention a slow-shutter function not being available due to lack of communication with the body...which is the same situation you'd be in using the Nikon lens?

Oleg Kalyan June 16th, 2008 03:07 PM

In a manual mode you have access to all shutter speeds that camera body allows.
You have to watch for correct exposure via setting up a correct F stop, using external ND filters, etc. What they mean is that you loose automatic exposure adjustment.

Tony Davies-Patrick June 16th, 2008 03:54 PM

You do have auto-exposure adjustment (although not full "program"...but who would want that anyway...) using the Canon XL body with a Nikkor lens.

As mentioned earlier, you simply set the aperture of your choice by revolving the click-stop aperture ring, and then set the video camera body to "AV" and let the Canon XL body automatically adjust to the constantly changing light levels. Or, if you prefer, set both aperture and shutter speeds manually.

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2008 04:04 PM

Ahhh....got ya! That makes a lot more sense. I guess seeing 'shutter speeds' kind of threw me in a little!

Tony....Do you use any Nikons on the XL range!? I have to say I like the idea of removing the XL adapter and its glass, 1 item less to cause issues !

Tony Davies-Patrick June 16th, 2008 04:13 PM

Yes, I use all my Nikkors from 20mm to 600mm ED-IF.

To attach the Nikkors to the Canon body, I use the Nikkor-Canon XL adapter made by Les Bosher.

Just make sure that you use Nikkor lenses that have a manual aperture ring - do not use any of the "G" range of Nikkors or you'll not have iris control.

Mat Thompson June 16th, 2008 04:34 PM

Ok, thanks for that.

Have you got the 80-200 F2.8 ED? I've been trying it today on the JVC and while its very sharp and has nice colours the manual focus ring is poor. Very tricky to hit focus without lots of tweaking!

Tony Davies-Patrick June 17th, 2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Thompson (Post 894100)
Ok, thanks for that.

Have you got the 80-200 F2.8 ED? I've been trying it today on the JVC and while its very sharp and has nice colours the manual focus ring is poor. Very tricky to hit focus without lots of tweaking!

That's why I prefer MF lenses rather than AF lenses.

The older Manual focus well-built professional-grade lenses are just as sharp as the later AF lenses, but most of the MF lenses have very large and wide manual focus rings with a silky-smooth action.
Also, the manual super-telphoto lenses such the Nikkor 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 400mm f/4.5, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4, 600mm f/5.6, 800mm f/5.6 and 800mm f/8 all have a focus-range adjuster - where you can preset the lens at any focal distance, focus at a different distance and then quickly bring the focus back to the exact same original place.

Peter Moretti June 17th, 2008 05:56 AM

Tony,

May I ask what approximate focal length magnification factor you are experiencing when using still lens on your XL-H1?

Thanks much.

Mat Thompson June 17th, 2008 07:48 AM

With a 1/3rd sensor camera its about 7x.