DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XLH1 Broken Firewire Port-Alt FCP Capture Method? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/236077-xlh1-broken-firewire-port-alt-fcp-capture-method.html)

Mario A. Salinas May 26th, 2009 02:03 AM

XLH1 Broken Firewire Port-Alt FCP Capture Method?

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I tripped on my firewire cable and broke the 4-pin jack on the camera. This presents two problems. I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me on a couple of issues.

First... I have to capture some footage immediately. It was shot SD.

1. Is there some way to capture into FCP 6.0.4 on my MacBook Pro without having to buy some expensive capture box?

2. Can FCP 6.0.4 recognize my Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge?

3. What is the quality loss of using the RCA or SVHS jacks into that Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge?

NEXT ISSUE:

1. Does anyone know how much it will cost to fix this broken Firewire port on my XLH1?

2. Does anyone know the best place to get this fixed?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Mario

Nick Gordon May 26th, 2009 05:08 AM

The easiest way to capture is if you can get access to a Canon HV10/20/30/40 - I bought a used HV10 after I had the same problem.

Can't advise on getting it fixed, I afraid - I'm in the wrong country

John Richard May 26th, 2009 08:01 AM

Don't know what part of the US you're located in, but I had a broken firewire port. Canon's Irvine CA service center replaced the firewire port/board in 1 day.

You could FedX it back and forth.

Mario A. Salinas May 26th, 2009 09:15 AM

Nick... Thank you!

Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to check it out. Once I know how much the repair will cost I can save up the money and make the most sensible choice.

Thanks again,

Mario

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Gordon (Post 1148362)
The easiest way to capture is if you can get access to a Canon HV10/20/30/40 - I bought a used HV10 after I had the same problem.

Can't advise on getting it fixed, I afraid - I'm in the wrong country

Mario A. Salinas May 26th, 2009 09:18 AM

I'm about 20 miles from Irvine... How much did it cost?

John,

Thank you for the response. Do you have some contact information for them & more importantly, do you remember how much the repair cost?

Your help is appreciated!

Mario

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1148422)
Don't know what part of the US you're located in, but I had a broken firewire port. Canon's Irvine CA service center replaced the firewire port/board in 1 day.

You could FedX it back and forth.

Dave Gosley May 27th, 2009 02:01 AM

You could also visit a local production house and have them transfer the data to an external hard drive for you - while the camera is in repair.

John Richard May 27th, 2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario A. Salinas (Post 1148448)
John,

Thank you for the response. Do you have some contact information for them & more importantly, do you remember how much the repair cost?

Your help is appreciated!

Mario

If memory serves me right, the repair was about $200. I responded to your personal email yesterday with the address and phone # of the Canon Irvine CA Service Center.