DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   24p Pulldown removal with nanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/237069-24p-pulldown-removal-nanoflash.html)

Mike Schell June 9th, 2009 07:46 PM

24p Pulldown removal with nanoFlash

Just wanted to let everyone know that we plan to add 24p pulldown removal to the nanoFlash. So you can now record to a solid-stae media at true 24p frame rates. I expect this feature will be available as a firmware upgrade sometime in July.

The nanoFlash is very small HD/SD recorder which can mount on the back or side of your camera. nanoFlash has HD-SDI and HDMI I/O and records to Compact Flash at 4:2:2 full-raster 100 Mbps (Long-GOP) or 220 Mbps I-Frame CODEC.

See our web-site for more details.

Best-

Michael Galvan June 15th, 2009 03:33 PM

The one feature I was waiting for ... thanks!

I see 220mbps I-frame ... this looks like a new add-on too ...

Robert Sanders June 15th, 2009 04:11 PM

Does this provide pulldown removal for the original XLH1 too (the original XLH1 has no pulldown flags in the stream, timecode or audio). In other words, does it have an "intelligent guesser" like Compressor or AE or does it still require the flags?

Michael Galvan June 15th, 2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders (Post 1158894)
Does this provide pulldown removal for the original XLH1 too (the original XLH1 has no pulldown flags in the stream, timecode or audio). In other words, does it have an "intelligent guesser" like Compressor or AE or does it still require the flags?

Yes, I would think this is the case as even the newer XL H1S doesn't have flags in it's HD-SDI stream. Only the XH G1S has them.

I remember talking to Mike at one point about this where he said flags weren't needed, so I assume it's an "intelligent guesser".

Robert Sanders June 15th, 2009 04:19 PM

That's good to know. I didn't realize the XLH1s didn't have pulldown flags. Interesting.

Looks like Canon is still intentionally crippling "pro" features in order to keep Panasonic and Sony happy.

Michael Galvan June 15th, 2009 04:21 PM

Well I dunno, I mean the XH G1S has the flags.

My guess is they just haven't thought of adding them when they released the XL H1S. But they could at least give us a firmware update for it!

Robert Sanders June 15th, 2009 04:53 PM

Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that the G1S isn't considered a "pro" camera since it has a fixed lens.

In other words, we all know that Canon agreed to not build competing products in order to continue making high-end pro glass for Sony and Panasonic. And because the XLH1 uses interchangeable lenses it seems they've crippled certain features in order not violate its embargo.

Mike Schell June 16th, 2009 07:39 PM

Hi Michael, Robert-
You are correct in that the Canon XL-H1 (original and s models) does not have the VariCam flags in the time-code stream. So, we are developing an algorithm that detects the cadence and removes the repeat fields to create a true 24p stream. Internally the video is compressed and stored as a 1080p24 video.

We can also use this same technique on the HDMI stream to remove the pull-down from consumer cameras and DSLRs.

Yes, 220 Mbps I-Frame is part of the nanoFlash release, as well as 4.5 second pre-record buffer. (And maybe a few other surprises).

Cheers-

Kevin Martorana June 16th, 2009 07:54 PM

Mike...

How do you record audio into the Nano ? My XLH1 does NOT spit audio down the HDSDI pipe...I believe !!??!

thanks.

Mike Schell June 16th, 2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana (Post 1159428)
Mike...

How do you record audio into the Nano ? My XLH1 does NOT spit audio down the HDSDI pipe...I believe !!??!

thanks.

Hi Kevin-
The nanoFlash has a 3.5 mm audio input, which accepts stereo line/mic inputs (consumer level) or one balanced mic input (you will need to provide bias/phantom power). The audio is sampled at 48KHz, 24-bit.

Best-