DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Firewire for XLH1a to Computer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/470511-firewire-xlh1a-computer.html)

Adrian J. Hare January 5th, 2010 06:41 PM

Firewire for XLH1a to Computer

Question, I'm stuck for time so I thought I would ask. I have never played back video with my XLH1a and I decided to take my computer with Window XP in to be upgraded so that it can handle video footage.

The Tech asked me about the fire wire connection on the camera. After looking the camera over, I found the connetion in the back of the shoulder pad.

My question for the is : Can this camera (XLH1a) play the dvtapes onto the computer to burn them, through this firewire (component out) connection ? Is it better to have one firewire cable between the camera and computer.

What is the best hook up between the both. The Tech will be reading this for a guidance

Thanks ahead
Adrian

Adrian J. Hare January 7th, 2010 07:29 AM

Please delete ....

Chris Soucy January 7th, 2010 02:45 PM

Er, hi, Adrian............

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian J. Hare (Post 1468431)
Question, I'm stuck for time so I thought I would ask. I have never played back video with my XLH1a and I decided to take my computer with Window XP in to be upgraded so that it can handle video footage.

The Tech asked me about the fire wire connection on the camera. After looking the camera over, I found the connetion in the back of the shoulder pad.

My question for the is : Can this camera (XLH1a) play the dvtapes onto the computer to burn them, through this firewire (component out) connection ? Is it better to have one firewire cable between the camera and computer.

What is the best hook up between the both. The Tech will be reading this for a guidance

Thanks ahead
Adrian

Er, how can I put this?

Please don't think I'm being rude, but can you explain what's going on here? Please.

When I first saw this post, I, and no doubt many others, thought, "Er, what?".

Then I noticed your join date as 2006 and the mystery deepened, so I checked through your posts.

The more I read, the stranger it got.

Now, I could try dancing around this but can't see the point, so, here goes.

How is it that someone who has been a member (not even a lurker) since 2006, has previously owned a Canon XL1s and currently owns a Canon XL H1a, is asking questions about his camera that wouldn't get past "Ultra Basics for Total Noobs, Introduction, first 5 minutes"?

As I said before, I'm not trying to be rude and there may well be a perfectly rational explanation.

However, what disturbs (no, maybe not disturb, suprises the heck out of, I guess) me (I cannot speak for the rest of DVinfo) is this: If this is the measure of your skill set after being a member for over 3 years, what are you doing with such a camera?

To put it another way: If you have a problem we ought to know about, let us have it, because I cannot understand what I'm dealing with here, and I seriously doubt any other potential posters in this thread do either.

I hope you take this post in the spirit it was intended and are not offended.

CS

Adrian J. Hare January 7th, 2010 08:27 PM

Chris, I have never hooked up the camera to the computer and the guy that fixed my computer has never had anything to do with cameras so I didn't want give him the wrong advice, and nether one of us really knew the best way to go that would produce the best quality. I don't edit and I just wanted to learn so I was getting him to upgrade.

I'm getting really frustrated with is camera and I am having a very hard time getting good footage off of it...

Chris Soucy January 7th, 2010 09:40 PM

Ok..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian J. Hare (Post 1469348)
I'm getting really frustrated with is camera and I am having a very hard time getting good footage off of it...

If you don't edit the footage and have never connected this or presumably the previous camera to the computer, then what DO you do with it?

Moving swiftly on from that question (which is probably rhetorical anyway) I can't really be anything but suprised you're having problems, based on the skill set that you're displaying in your posts, that camera is waaay too much for you IMHO.

However, that's not really any of my business I guess, tho' if you've been playing with DV for the last three years and still haven't mastered the very basics, I'm uncertain that any amount of handholding here is going to rectify the situation.

Being a born mug, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Fire away, I'm listening. Oh, BTW, I have answered your other post, I hope it was helpfull.

CS