DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Using front mic and XLR simultaniously? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/471342-using-front-mic-xlr-simultaniously.html)

Rob Bruijgoms January 20th, 2010 08:26 AM

Using front mic and XLR simultaniously?

Hi there,

I would like to use my standard Canon front mic together with one of my XLR inputs at the back of my XLH1...but...I've not managed to do so. I've tried many options and posibilities, but it seems not to be possible to use the front mic and one of the XLR inputs together!

Has anyone a clue? Thank a million!

Rob

Michael Galvan January 20th, 2010 02:32 PM

Hi Rob,

This was one of the fixes in the XL H1S update. If you are using the original H1, then you cannot use the front mic and an XLR mic at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Dave Gosley January 20th, 2010 06:35 PM

Could you not place a small patch cable between the front mic and the xlr socket on the back and therefore use the front mic with the rear mic sockets - plus another mic in the other rear socket.

Michael Galvan January 20th, 2010 10:51 PM

Sure, you can convert the front mic's connector to work with one of the XLR connectors on the camera.

But natively, the camera cannot do this. Only the 's' version can.

Trond Saetre January 21st, 2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 1475104)
Only the 's' version can.

Does this mean that the XL-H1A can not use both front mic and XLR at the same time?
It is only the XL-H1S?

Michael Galvan January 21st, 2010 12:29 PM

Actually the 'S' and 'A' version can do this.

should've mentioned the 'A' as well.

Peter Ralph January 25th, 2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 1475104)
Sure, you can convert the front mic's connector to work with one of the XLR connectors on the camera.

Michael - do you have first hand experience of doing this? I have a few questions as to the parts you used - did you rewire the mic plug?

Jeff Mueller February 13th, 2010 06:33 PM

Can the on board mic take Phantom power?

Boy this is a bummer. I've had the camera for a long time and never needed this but I'm shooting with a wireless lav yet also need the camera mic as backup - TOMORROW. Since I post in FCP7 (and don't want to go to 12 bit) using channels 3/4 is not an option. If I attach the on board mic with a short XLR cable can it run off of the camera's phantom power? Or do I need a separate power source, and if so, what?

Thanks.

Rob Bruijgoms February 14th, 2010 04:52 AM

I don't think it is possible to power the standard Canon XLH1 mic seperatly. It is a condenser mic so it needs phantom power. The mic has two jacks, one to support the audio and I think the other powers the mic. In my opinion you cannot power the mic by XLR (48V switch at the back of your XLH1), when you adapt the 3,5 mm mini jack to XLR. The mini jack does not support phantom power.

You'll need a shotgun mic witch XLR input, or just record the audio separate from your cam with an audio recorder.

Best of luck with your shoot!

Dale Guthormsen February 14th, 2010 07:19 PM

Good evening,

with the xlh1a I have run front and back mics simultaniously.

dale