DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Where to buy replacement lens hoods from Canon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/501303-where-buy-replacement-lens-hoods-canon.html)

Marty Hudzik October 5th, 2011 08:45 AM

Where to buy replacement lens hoods from Canon?

I am on the verge of acquiring a used XL 6x WA lens, but it is missing the lens hood, which is pretty imnportan with a wide lens. I have searched and cannot find a resource to buy a replacement lens hood. Anyone have any ideas or links to Canon genuine parts so I can order one?

Thanks.

Marty Hudzik October 6th, 2011 01:29 PM

Re: Where to buy replacement lens hoods from Canon?

Ok. I realize I am talking to myself on this one, but I got a hold of Canon direct and they are back-ordered on the lens hood for 6-8 weeks. I am now in the need of some 3rd party lens hood that will do the trick here. I do not have a rail system or mattebox setup as this is primarily run and gun. Can anyone suggest something affordable that might get me by for the time-being?

Thanks.

Tom Blizzard October 6th, 2011 04:24 PM

You might try here:
Lens Hood for Canon XH Series Camcorder | L.A. Color Online

I've bought lots of things from Taky. Great guy to do business with.......

Marty Hudzik October 7th, 2011 07:08 AM

Thanks Tom. I didn;t see anything there that would really help in my instance. The 6x lens is a great deal larger than the XH series lenses and therefore requires a much larger hood than is available there.

John Richard October 7th, 2011 07:38 AM

Marty:
What about the screw-on type lens shades that some Matte Box manufacturers make?
Little bigger than the original Canon but still workable as they are far more shallow than than a full on Matte Box

Michael Galvan October 9th, 2011 07:52 AM

I own the 6x Wide Angle and the lens hood is a good deal larger (and wider) than the one on the stock lens.

Also the lens diameter is 82mm on the Wide Angle vs. 72mm on the stock 20x.

Hope this helps a little.

Marty Hudzik October 10th, 2011 09:30 AM

Michael.
Thanks a lot. I am actually pretty familiar with the 6x lens as I owned one for about 2 years then sold it and bought a 7D. I just never needed to buy a replacement lens hood in the past.

Marty Hudzik October 13th, 2011 10:11 AM

Just to let everyone who chimed in know, I went ahead and ordered the Lens Hood from Canon directly. Now I can just sit back and wait I guess! THanks.

Marty Hudzik October 20th, 2011 11:23 AM

Wow. It's here already. They told me 6-8 weeks and it arrived in basically six days. Canon USA said they didn't have it in stock and that the long delay was due to waiting on shipment from Japan. Great Job and thanks to all for the advice. In the end I am glad I was patient and got the right part.

Norbert Holzmann October 20th, 2011 06:25 PM

Congratulation Marty 😊