DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shhhh! It's a secret!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/50316-shhhh-its-secret.html)

Greg Boston September 2nd, 2005 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
As long as it has a built-in ice maker, I'll be satisfied. Central Texas summers can be a tad warm and tend to last for nine or ten months of the year. I need a camcorder that can keep my Shiner Bock chilled while I'm out shooting in the Hill Country.

Now here's what's *really* funny... remember what spurred this whole thread, was Brian's link to a post at another message board. Then that original post disappeared, until I found that it had been moved to another location on that other site, and I gave you guys the new link. *Now* it seems to be gone again.

Personally I think we're being played. Or should I say *you're* being played, because *I* know better than to believe something that didn't come from DV Info Net in the first place... know what I mean?

Well Chris, I would ask for your input, but I know how darn restrictive those NDA's can be;-)

-gb-

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2005 10:27 AM

NDA? What NDA. I am blissfully free of any NDA, and loving it!

Pete Bauer September 2nd, 2005 02:42 PM

No NDA here either, but I'll be Nearly Drunk on my A** before dinnertime. :-)
Still, there IS a Canon Expo in mid-Sep, AND that message was short on specifics but gave a generic "you'll be happy with our announcement at Expo" message. Maybe we're being played, but then again it could be Canon who have the last laugh. I still feel ok sticking to my May '05 guess that Canon will announce a Wunderkam in Sep/Oct. Don't know if Canon Expo really will bring us that announcement, but still see no reason why my guess was an unreasonable one.

Boyd Ostroff September 2nd, 2005 03:58 PM

Maybe they'll announce that all of their camcorders will include cupholders in the future. That would make a lot of people happy.

Nick Hiltgen September 2nd, 2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Maybe they'll announce that all of their camcorders will include cupholders in the future. That would make a lot of people happy.

... And I think to myself... what a wonderful world...

Michael Struthers September 3rd, 2005 12:06 AM

Canon will toss out some form of GL3 HDV cam, because it has to compete in that market, but what we all want to know is what is der vunderkam?

"Will not disapoint" indicates some form of HD, perhaps with a chip larger than 1/3. They could have licensed something from someone else, or they could use some of thier amazing cmos chips they have developed. I'll have to make a call and beg for some info.

Yi Fong Yu September 3rd, 2005 01:00 AM

ya know boys, this is wreak havoc on my predictions of when the new GL3(Fall'06)&XL3(Fall'07) will come out. ah well, in these days and age, i dunno if even Canon can follow their own strict guidlines.

Lawrence Bansbach September 3rd, 2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Struthers
"Will not disapoint" indicates some form of HD, perhaps with a chip larger than 1/3. They could have licensed something from someone else, or they could use some of thier amazing cmos chips they have developed. I'll have to make a call and beg for some info.

"Will not disappoint" means nothing to me, nor should it to you. The Panasonic HVX is certainly a revolutionary camera, but it disappoints along several lines: (1) third-inch CCDs, (2) fixed lens, (3) no on-board hard-drive controller; and that's without even seeing footage from the camera. My point is, Canon -- or any manufacturer -- can't help disappoint. Sure, you could say, "You're being unrealistic." And I'd say, "Screw that. Let the burden be on the manufacturers." Until there's an HDCAM Senior-quality camera with variable shooting speeds through 60p for well under $10,000, there will be disappointment -- and even then, someone will quibble. Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great -- or, conversely, that it has a PR fiasco (like what happened with the Sony Z1) on its hands.

Boyd Ostroff September 3rd, 2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach
Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great

It's too tedious to follow the origins of this thread, but I'm pretty certain that Canon never said anything at all. I believe that quote came from someone on another website who claimed to have inside knowledge. I don't think Canon comments on unannounced products.

Nick Hiltgen September 4th, 2005 04:05 AM

While it's entirely possible that there was no official announcement from canon, I spoke with one of the retailer's out of L.A. and he told me that canon was announcing something in the middle of the month as well. On the one hand that's super cool, on the other, he probably was looking at the same websites we were. (note: meaning the rumor didn't originate on dvinfo so why trust it)

Also I think that Lawrence has a good point, When ever any camera comes out people are always comparing it to a bigger better camera. SD? why not SD 24p? SD 24p? why not HD? HD? why not HD 24p? HD 24p? Why not 1080 24p? 1080 24p? why not 4:2:2 like an f900? F900? why not a genesis? Genesis? It's too big... etc etc

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2005 09:58 AM

Well stated, Nick. By rights, we shouldn't expect anything less than UHD Ultra-High Definition from Canon, at a price point below $(insert expectation here), and a built-in icemaker. Why, we should riot in the streets if it's anything less than that!

Lawrence Bansbach September 4th, 2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

. . . and a built-in icemaker. Why, we should riot in the streets if it's anything less than that!

You just won't let the icemaker go, will you? But then again, I'm not rioting if there are no iced beverages.

Nick Hiltgen September 4th, 2005 01:38 PM

Quote:

... By rights, we shouldn't expect anything less than UHD Ultra-High Definition) from Canon, at a price point below $(insert expectation here), and a built-in icemaker

SWEET! FInally an Official Rumor from Mr. Hurd himself. You heard it here first on dvinfo.net, the Canon announcement in the middle of the month will be for an Ultra-HD camera WITH built in ice-maker. But, just to upset those who want everything the cupholder will be an add-on accesory (model# CUP-300) and everyone can complain about how it's not included with the base model, but panasonic's HVX-200A will include the cupholder and a martini shaker and be a Canon UHD killer.

mmm.... Martini...

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2005 03:15 PM

mmm... apple martini... raargh...

Actually to correct Nick's otherwise accurate post, there will be *two* optional cupholders separately available. The aforementioned CUP-300 holds two 16-ounce drinks, has balanced inputs, and will cost an additional $250. But there's also the CUP-600, which holds four 12-ounce drinks, has unbalanced inputs, and will cost $450. Shoulder supports are integrated into both, the CUP-600 having the larger footprint. If you need four balanced inputs, then I recommend the CUP-300 plus an additional third-party cupholder.

Lawrence Bansbach September 4th, 2005 04:57 PM

Quote:

The aforementioned CUP-300 holds two 16-ounce drinks, has balanced inputs, and will cost an additional $250. But there's also the CUP-600, which holds four 12-ounce drinks, has unbalanced inputs, and will cost $450.

Mark my words: these prices better come down, or there will be a cottage industry in cheap third-party cupholders that will hold the popcorn-bucket-size convenience-store cups (and which I'm certain will invalidate the warranty). They'll eventually snap off, dumping a swimming pool of Pepsi all over your clothes, equipment, or car, but they'll be perfect for those needing to guzzle soda by the continuous gallon.

Kevin Wild September 4th, 2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach
"Will not disappoint" means nothing to me, nor should it to you. The Panasonic HVX is certainly a revolutionary camera, but it disappoints along several lines: (1) third-inch CCDs, (2) fixed lens, (3) no on-board hard-drive controller; and that's without even seeing footage from the camera. My point is, Canon -- or any manufacturer -- can't help disappoint. Sure, you could say, "You're being unrealistic." And I'd say, "Screw that. Let the burden be on the manufacturers." Until there's an HDCAM Senior-quality camera with variable shooting speeds through 60p for well under $10,000, there will be disappointment -- and even then, someone will quibble. Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great -- or, conversely, that it has a PR fiasco (like what happened with the Sony Z1) on its hands.

PR fiasco? Am I missing something? They're selling a TON of those Z1's. I have no idea what you're referring to as far as PR fiasco.

Let's hope Canon outdoes the Sony camera. I still think we may just see the GL3. XL2 just hasn't been on the market long enough, nor does Canon feel the "rush" that we all wish they felt. We'll see soon, hopefully.

Kevin

Lawrence Bansbach September 4th, 2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
PR fiasco? Am I missing something? They're selling a TON of those Z1's.

I never said that Sony weren't selling a ton of Z1s. But Sony's handling of the Z1's release was, from a PR point of view, embarrassing. At the unveiling in New York, Sony reps defensively fielded questions as to why 24p wasn't included. The Sony professional HDV Web page continued to claim that 24p was under consideration many weeks after it was pretty clear that, based on the choice of an interlaced-only CCD for the FX1/Z1, they never seriously considered 24p. It was a long time before any useful information about the CineFrame modes was became available -- and it didn't come from Sony but from people like Steve Mullen, who took the time to figure out and communicate how CF24 worked. But the most embarrassing thing of all was the price increase from the originally quoted $4,995 to $5,900 -- which they claimed wasn't an increase at all but clarification of the MSRP (the street price was $4,995), which was both cynical and ludicrous. Sure, they've sold a ton of them, because the Z1 preceded the HVX 200 and HD100 -- there was no real competition. It wouldn't sell quite so many had it come out after, and I'd even go so far as to say that Sony probably wouldn't even release it today without 24p (at least I hope they wouldn't). Contrast that marketing approach with Panasonic's handling of the HVX200. Panasonic has displayed little of Sony's arrogance, obliviousness, or stumbling.

Yi Fong Yu September 4th, 2005 11:32 PM

the next Canon Ultra Def cam will come with a rocket launcher ;).

re: resolution. i really think 1920x1080p will be the last great consumer format for the next hundreds of years at least. but what do i know =).

Mikko Wilson September 4th, 2005 11:48 PM

1920x1080p?

but I thought the new Canon UHD was 1920x1080x1080p ...?

- Mikko

Richard Alvarez September 5th, 2005 06:47 AM

Okay, I got the inside dope.

The next canon will utilize "Chemical memory" sensors on a motion activated estar base. The capture target will be MUCH larger than any ccd out there now, approaching, dare I say it... 35mm. This will enable the shallow depth of field that everyone is so excited about.

The chemical memory storage will resolve resolutions approximately double the HD cameras available today. Storage costs will vary depending on the composition of the chemical memory capture loads, as the variations will allow greater or lesser lattitude, and UNBELIEVABLE color saturation. The typical run time on a storage load will be equivellant to the P2 cards, or slightly larger.

Because of the nature of the organic storage process, the images will have that somewhat 'dream like' quality that eludes those of us unhappy with the hard video images of present day cameras.

The really great news is, variable frame rates will DEFINATELY be included. everything from ultra slow 4fps up to 60fps, and yes, I have it on absolute authority that it will be PROGRESSIVE.

The drawback seems to be the transfer workflow. Original images are stored on the motion activated base in an inversed chroma format. Once the images are resolved in a computer monitored solutions storage environment, they are transfered via computer to the tape or harddrive storage format of users choice. Could be HD. Could be SD. Could be DV... the choice is unlimited. From there it's a matter of editing as usual, with the options of direct to DVD or tape... or, and here's the exciting part - TRANSFER TO FILM PRINT WITH VIRTUALLY NO LOSS OF RESOLUTION. Hard to believe, but this format is GUARANTEED FUTURE PROOF. In fact, tests have shown that images captured in this fashion can last a century or more, ready to be transfered to any new digital format sure to come along.

Finally, that illusive "Film Look" is within our grasp, I can hardly wait!

Ralph Roberts September 5th, 2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
SWEET! FInally an Official Rumor from Mr. Hurd himself. You heard it here first on dvinfo.net, the Canon announcement in the middle of the month will be for an Ultra-HD camera WITH built in ice-maker. But, just to upset those who want everything the cupholder will be an add-on accesory (model# CUP-300) and everyone can complain about how it's not included with the base model, but panasonic's HVX-200A will include the cupholder and a martini shaker and be a Canon UHD killer.

mmm.... Martini...

I just hope that the ice chips are greater than 1/3" and that they go with a martini STIRRER rather than a shaker. The shaker technology has been discounted for decades now. ;-)

--Ralph

Ivan Hurtado September 5th, 2005 09:30 AM

Man, Richard,LOL! I nearly missed it!

Nick Hiltgen September 5th, 2005 09:55 AM

Right... Like they'll ever make camera's like that....
;)

Krys Athens September 8th, 2005 10:36 PM

This Canon Camera thing just might be for real boys!

Hey Guys,
Well I guess you have to leave it to a girl to get some interesting information besides cup holders. Check this out: Well upon reading the first post, then all others thereafter (watching it spiral totally out of control. Although there are some great informative, inspirational, and downright interesting information being passed around you totally missed the opportunity of a lifetime! Someone named names…. the Directors name is right there in front of you. **Neil Moreno** Who is he? I said, well at least let me follow this lead.

1- Google’ed his name, got a bunch of this Canon Stuff, found some heading out there.
He directed a commercial for A&E Television (was nominated for an Emmy for it) Ok…at least he’s for real. He has some documentary films out. And found a company in LA that manages him.

2- Went to the LA company link. They have Neil Moreno listed with other “creative people” as someone they work closely with…. Clicked his name for a bio. OK THIS GUY IS FOR REAL. His bio is impressive to say the least. A bunch of who’s who as clients. He is a director and a cinematographer.

3- AH- HA! Found him! He works for a Production company called Blizzard Productions. www.blizzardproductions.com. Checked out the site. Ok first off he is a documentary filmmaker, hi-end commercial director, and television show producer.
So in my mind his connection alone brings legitimacy to this Canon rumor. A quick side note.. He is so cute! (There is a picture of him with a bio) Now I am really digging deep. Seriously for a moment, I think for Canon to align themselves with somebody like Neil Moreno who clearly is a film guy says something to me… They are not going to use him for a little DVD handy cam, or crappy recorder, they have clearly brought the big guns of independent and successful filmmakers to the table. My mind tells me a new professional camera for the documentary filmmaker or maybe a hi-end pro-sumer camera with broadcast quality images…. Did I Mention that he was hot? Ok so he’s talented and good looking, is there anything wrong with that?

4- Clicked the contact page, sent him an e-mail and simply asked if the rumor was true. Hey, maybe we can put this thing to rest after all or at least we can meet for drinks………

Now put that in your cup holder and drink! =)

Ralph Roberts September 9th, 2005 05:52 AM

Hey, that's some great intelligence work, Krys! ;-)

Thanks,

--Ralph

Richard Alvarez September 9th, 2005 06:04 AM

Krys,

Okay... It took a lady detective sleuthing after a 'hot' director to shame a bunch of guys obsessed with beer....

So I should be surprised by this?

Seriously, good on you for doing the legwork. How 'bout posting a pic of you that we can send to Neil???

Greg Boston September 9th, 2005 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krys Athens
Hey Guys,
Well I guess you have to leave it to a girl to get some interesting information besides cup holders. Check this out: Well upon reading the first post, then all others thereafter (watching it spiral totally out of control. Although there are some great informative, inspirational, and downright interesting information being passed around you totally missed the opportunity of a lifetime! Someone named names…. the Directors name is right there in front of you. **Neil Moreno** Who is he? I said, well at least let me follow this lead.

1- Google’ed his name, got a bunch of this Canon Stuff, found some heading out there.
He directed a commercial for A&E Television (was nominated for an Emmy for it) Ok…at least he’s for real. He has some documentary films out. And found a company in LA that manages him.

2- Went to the LA company link. They have Neil Moreno listed with other “creative people” as someone they work closely with…. Clicked his name for a bio. OK THIS GUY IS FOR REAL. His bio is impressive to say the least. A bunch of who’s who as clients. He is a director and a cinematographer.

3- AH- HA! Found him! He works for a Production company called Blizzard Productions. www.blizzardproductions.com. Checked out the site. Ok first off he is a documentary filmmaker, hi-end commercial director, and television show producer.
So in my mind his connection alone brings legitimacy to this Canon rumor. A quick side note.. He is so cute! (There is a picture of him with a bio) Now I am really digging deep. Seriously for a moment, I think for Canon to align themselves with somebody like Neil Moreno who clearly is a film guy says something to me… They are not going to use him for a little DVD handy cam, or crappy recorder, they have clearly brought the big guns of independent and successful filmmakers to the table. My mind tells me a new professional camera for the documentary filmmaker or maybe a hi-end pro-sumer camera with broadcast quality images…. Did I Mention that he was hot? Ok so he’s talented and good looking, is there anything wrong with that?

4- Clicked the contact page, sent him an e-mail and simply asked if the rumor was true. Hey, maybe we can put this thing to rest after all or at least we can meet for drinks………

Now put that in your cup holder and drink! =)

Hi Krys,

Welcome to DV-INFO. You are quite right. Us 'guys' usually leave it to the girls to notice how 'cute' or how 'hot' some other guy is. ;-) We're more interested in cup holders so we can have a cool drink while we film alll the 'cute, hot' girls. :-b

Seriously though, it's good that you went to the trouble to dig out that info. I see investigative reporter in your future.

-gb-

Boyd Ostroff September 9th, 2005 06:41 AM

Hey Krys; about the whole cupholder and beer thing.... The point is that rumors about features on non-existent cameras are worth just about as much as rumors of cupholders on non-existent cameras. People who really know about upcoming cameras (regardless of how "cute" they are) will have signed non disclosure agreements which forbid them from discussing the features in public.

In the past any threads about unannounced cameras would simply be deleted from our forums since this is DVinfo.net and not DVrumor.net. But since people seem to have a need to talk about these things, Chris created the "Area 51" forum. But just like its namesake, many of us don't take it too seriously....

Marco Leavitt September 9th, 2005 06:45 AM

I can't believe I'm a reporter and it never occurred to me to just send the guy an e-mail. Good work.

Pete Bauer September 9th, 2005 07:42 AM

Welcome Krys! My Area 51 prediction is as it has been since at least May: Canon WunderKam this autumn...and your initiative lends support to the idea of Canon Expo being the perfect time for a WunderKam announcement. Fingers crossed!

BTW, I am one of the few guys opposed to the cupholder because I'd rather counterbalance the camera that's resting on my right shoulder with a Camelback full of beer on my left shoulder!

Boyd Ostroff September 9th, 2005 07:55 AM

I also wunder whether Canon will introduce a new kam.

Glad that we finally know where you stand on the cupholder issue!

Gary McClurg September 9th, 2005 07:56 AM

I'm hoping what someone told me is true.

That the camera is coming or will talked about on the 15th. And if what I've read about Canon in the past. When they announce a camera its ready to go in a few weeks.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Isn't life fun. Just waiting for a new toy. Actually not a toy. But it'd be nice if I could shoot HD on a low budget feature project instead of my DVX, which is a great little camera.

Actually I'd be nice if I could afford 35mm stock. I can get an Arri BL4 for free but it's the stock that kills me.

Unless an angel investor magically shows up that ain't gonna happen. That can refer to shooting 35mm and the angel investor.

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2005 08:07 AM

That had better be Shiner Bock in that Camelback, Pete!

We'll be, er, " inspecting" those at the front door.

Pete Bauer September 9th, 2005 08:27 AM

Since I live in TX presently, I'd never diss Shiner, but I did develop quite a taste for the fine products of Europe when I lived in Germany. Nothing like eines gutes Dunkelweissen or a Belgian Duval to top off a long work week!

A Camelback full of dark beer and one's artistic creativity would be boundless. But I'll stay sharp watching for any announcements out of Canon Expo!

Greg Boston September 9th, 2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

That had better be Shiner Bock in that Camelback, Pete!

We'll be, er, " inspecting" those at the front door.

I wanna be an inspector too....can I, can I,....huh, can I. Oh pretty please.

Shiner Bock....ummmmmmm.

BTW, just had a fish fry last night with my folks up here near Little Rock, AR. Of course I always use 'beer batter' and would you like to guess what kind of beer ends up in that batter? Sand bass that dissolve in your mouth...

-gb-

Michael Wisniewski September 9th, 2005 10:19 AM

Krys, you're not supposed to do that! You've put real factual information into Area 51. It's only supposed to be un-reliable rumours, wild speculation, and off topic material.

And here you go pulling the whole thread back on track.

Nick Hiltgen September 9th, 2005 11:44 AM

Oh man, if the rumors get substanaciated then where will this thread move to? Will there be a new camera's and beer section of the forum? Now I'm curious as to what's going to happen in 6 days...

Until then...

Not being from Texas I have never tried shiner bock (or shiner blonde) there is a beer that goron bierch puts out called marzen that's pretty good though. And I could never pass up a good (or bad for that matter) Heifeviezen.

Damon Botsford September 9th, 2005 02:18 PM

I find it funny that after the original thread was removed from the cinematography.com forum, nobody in that forum jumped on it. If something like that happened here, there would be hell to pay. Perhaps over there they don't give credence to rumors. Either that or it's the biggest cover up since Watergate. I for one don't mind rumors (when posted in the proper forum of course). It provides me with a little entertainment.
Although, there is a new post over there talking about Canon's commitment to HDV. I sure hope that's not the case. Not a big HDV fan.

Noah Hayes September 9th, 2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
I'm hoping what someone told me is true.

That the camera is coming or will talked about on the 15th. And if what I've read about Canon in the past. When they announce a camera its ready to go in a few weeks.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Just like I said...new XL2 replacement in September....but you guys mocked me and demanded beer...no respect i don't get no respect...

Matthew Wauhkonen September 9th, 2005 06:13 PM

There are pics over at dvxuser.com

It looks like a black HDV Xl2. And it looks nice.

But HDV...