DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-H1 viewfinder problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/507259-xl-h1-viewfinder-problem.html)

Mike Meyerson April 25th, 2012 09:29 AM

XL-H1 viewfinder problem

My XLh1 was on a shoot yesterday (someone else using it)....and the viewfinder "all of a sudden" got really dark. The recorded image was fine, it was just a viewfinder issue. I know the cameraman who was using it likes to explore gear and push lots of buttons, so I searched through all the menus...nothing looks out of place. So, has anyone ever seen this happen before? Did something in the viewfinder blow out?

I quickly searched the interwebs for a replacement, but it looks like the only one you can get is the B&W version...any advice would be appreciated.

thnx

Simon Wood April 25th, 2012 10:58 AM

Re: XL-H1 viewfinder problem

Sometimes the most obvious issues get overlooked; so just in case have you tried unplugging the viewfinder and replugging it in (when the unit is off)?

Mike Meyerson April 25th, 2012 11:02 AM

yup, tried that.

I have a feeling the viewfinder was unplugged while it was on, could that have messed something up? Camera man was looking to unplug the onboard mic and pulled the viewfinder plug instead.

Simon Wood April 25th, 2012 11:36 AM

That could be it, but I've haven't actually heard of that specific problem before.

I had heard that the XLH1 was prone to blown fuses if you messed with the firewire port or changed lenses while it was on. For that reason I always shut it off before I changed any cables or lenses.

Mike Meyerson April 25th, 2012 06:33 PM

Those fuses aren't accessible, are they? I'm guessing that means a trip to canon.

Allan Black April 25th, 2012 06:38 PM

So it's still 'dark' ? Try a reset before you send it in. Check your manual.

Cheers.

Mike Meyerson April 25th, 2012 06:47 PM

Yup....still dark. Allan, what reset are you referring to? (just checked the manual, I don't see any reset instructions).

Allan Black April 25th, 2012 07:06 PM

Mike, I don't have a H1 but the Canon XH-A1 and A1s both have reset buttons on top of the cam under the foldout EVF and instructions in the manual saying how to activate it. So I assume the H1 has one.. ? HTH

Cheers.

Mike Meyerson April 25th, 2012 07:15 PM

ok, found the reset button (had to do a search through the PDF manual, because it's not in the index)....pressed it for 10 seconds....and....still dark.

Allan Black April 25th, 2012 07:23 PM

My instructions say to power the cam with AC not battery and make a list of all my custom settings because they'll be deleted with a camera reset.

Just a thought, your H1 is not on auto with the iris closed down? No? .. oh well Plan B off to the shop.

Cheers.