DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   The Great Canon XL Series Revival Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/507384-great-canon-xl-series-revival-thread.html)

Michael Galvan July 15th, 2015 03:43 PM

Re: The Great Canon XL Series Revival Thread

2 Attachment(s)
I will always love the XL series cameras. I invested heavily in the last iteration (XL H1S) and got everything for it, from all the lenses to mounting an Anton Bauer Dionic system on the back bracket with a Nanoflash connected to it for HD-SDI 4:2:2 high bit-rate tapeless file recording to replacing the EVF and custom fitting an Alphatron EVF for a hi-res viewfinder. It is such great system to this day... highly versatile, balances perfectly on the shoulder with this setup and the image quality is still top notch, especially with the high bit-rate 4:2:2 I-Frame recording from the Nanoflash.

Even though the majority of my shooting is now on the Cinema EOS cameras these days, that XL system still holds its own and works well for a lot of shoots, especially any ENG work.

Regrettably, I've decided to recently put this system up for sale since so much of my work is cinema shooting these days and I mostly use Cinema EOS cams and need to still buy a bunch of lights. But there is a strong part of me that just wants to hold onto the XL system as I put so much into making it the perfect camera system, and just because of my love for it...

I'm glad others still feel the same about it.

Simon Wood July 15th, 2015 04:41 PM

I still have my XLH1 & Nanoflash combo, though I'm fully invested in DSLR's now with the 5Dmk3 doing most of the work. Thinking about upgrading to a Sony A7s2 when it is released to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

The XLH1 still gets dragged out every now and then; I have a motocross documentary coming up where the XLH1 will be used for most of the event and stunt work, along with a GoPro for the POV work, and the 5D for most of the details and interviews.

I'll never sell it at this point. Its going to retire as a display piece in my office along with some old cine cameras.

Norbert Holzmann July 15th, 2015 11:41 PM

I use nanoFlash for my steadicam and Samurai for tripod/shoulder cam. Samurai needs a tape inserted for remote operation.

Simon Wood July 16th, 2015 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert Holzmann (Post 1892510)
I use nanoFlash for my steadicam and Samurai for tripod/shoulder cam. Samurai needs a tape inserted for remote operation.

I would be interested to see any Samurai XLH1 set ups.

Is the Samurai triggered by the XL?
Progressive (25p) is captured from the SDI (I seem to recall the output from the XL is interlaced but the Nanoflash works some mojo to make it progressive)...

Michael Galvan July 16th, 2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1892539)
I would be interested to see any Samurai XLH1 set ups.

Is the Samurai triggered by the XL?
Progressive (25p) is captured from the SDI (I seem to recall the output from the XL is interlaced but the Nanoflash works some mojo to make it progressive)...

The Nanoflash does real-time pulldown removal on the interlaced HD-SDI stream, so you can get a progressive file. Furthermore, it applies the selected bitrate to the video after the interlaced frames are removed to maximize quality.