DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   I told you guys to wait for CANON! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51086-i-told-you-guys-wait-canon.html)

Shannon Rawls September 14th, 2005 04:03 PM

I told you guys to wait for CANON!

"Canon will be here sooner then later" i said. "Canon is not stupid" i said.... "Canon is in the best position to become the #1 pro-sumer HD camera retailer" i said....

So where's those people who, just a few months ago, were screaming how CANON IS SLOW...and CANON IS LATE....and CANON DOESN'T CARE ABOUT VIDEO, THEY ARE CONCETRATED ON STILL CAMERAS ONLY and CANON WONT DO ANYTHING FOR 3 MORE YEARS and CANON THIS and CANON THAT.

*smile* <-- remember these?

Oh...here it is...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=canon

Chris Hurd... thanks for the awesome photos of the camera from the show.

- ShannonRawls.com

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
""Canon is in the best position to become the #1 pro-sumer HD camera retailer" i said....

It ain't gonna happen with this camera.

Jay

Chris Hurd September 14th, 2005 04:34 PM

Quote:

Chris Hurd... thanks for the awesome photos of the camera from the show.
Shannon, that wasn't me, that was Michael Wisniewski, our DV Info Net moderator who lives here in Manhattan.

Steve Nunez September 14th, 2005 04:45 PM

Well Canon is late to the HDV party.
They came in with style but still a little late.

(I myself was hoping for a GL2-ish type HDV camera along with the XL-ish one- Ohhh well)

Michael Wisniewski September 14th, 2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Shannon, that wasn't me, that was Michael Wisniewski, our DV Info Net moderator who lives here in Manhattan.

Lol, that's what I get for uploading with Chris's computer. I'll post more manana. I'll be playing around more with the menu settings and the attached control software setup.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
... was hoping for a GL2-ish type HDV camera

Me and you both. I think the H1 is going to rock it's target market, but a GL-3 with a similar design will probably fly off the shelves.

Canon's presentation this morning made the point, that when they introduced the under $1,000 Rebel XT DSLR that they sold more in 3 months than their competitors had sold combined in 5 years. So I hope they try to repeat that with the GL-3.

Kevin Dooley September 14th, 2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
Well Canon is late to the HDV party.
They came in with style but still a little late.

Canon can't be that late, as not every major manufacturer has an affordable HD option out yet. Panasonic still hasn't shipped a unit, JVC major unit is just now shipping... The market isn't fully established yet, as the demand for HD isn't at full capacity just yet. Canon has every bit of a chance as anyone else to set the standard at this point...

Marty Hudzik September 14th, 2005 06:43 PM

Canon may hit the market before Panasonic does also.

The point is those who were insistent that Canon would be 2007 for HD or HDV were seriously mistaken.

Michael Dalton September 14th, 2005 09:11 PM

you do have to be surprised we are sitting here today actually talking about Canon HDV. I thought they would come in much later. Nice to see them beat Panisonic.

But the real question is, has many people held off. I know I have, waited as JVC, SONY had there sort of misses with the early camera, coming closer with their second go around, but something is still missing with all of them.

I am liking the sound of the P2 the more I read these posts, but going tapeless adds a lot of cost. 2 years from now, I think it will be great, 200gb ipods used as firestores for 500$.

I can't wait to get the definitive word on if you can master a 24p project and have your final output in 24fps. half the broadcaster only deal in 24p HD. If you can't get a clean transfer off of interlaced video, you have to forget half of your market. So for me this is a killer.

If you tell me I can use this new canon and go to a firestore at 24fps, then great, but if I have to go to 30i, and then do pull downs, then this camera failed all of us who intend to broadcast HD.

Michael

Soroush Shahrokni September 14th, 2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dalton
you do have to be surprised we are sitting here today actually talking about Canon HDV. I thought they would come in much later. Nice to see them beat Panisonic.

I fully agree Michael. I was on my way to buy the JVC when this shows up out of nowhere. To be honest Im still in a state of schock and cant really believe this!

Im also fully with you on the 24F thing, but I dont think you should worry. I think this will be just what we hope it to be...and that is 24P in a 1080i stream, not some CF24 crap!

Shannon, cheers for your great predictions. I as a long time Canon user lost hope the day they announced the XL2 instead of a HD camera and was slowly forgetting all about Canon...look how wrong I was!

Kevin Shaw September 15th, 2005 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
"Canon will be here sooner then later" i said. "Canon is not stupid" i said.... "Canon is in the best position to become the #1 pro-sumer HD camera retailer" i said....

I'm glad to see Canon finally announcing something worth talking about, but I don't see this camera appealing to any but a very narrow market segment. With a proposed list price of $9000, this is going to be a tough sell against the Panasonic HVX200 and the JVC HD100U, and will barely register a blip in terms of sales against the Sony FX1 and Z1U. People have already been using the Sony cameras for almost a year now with excellent results in terms of both image quality and profitability, and you could buy three FX1s for the price of the XL H1.

Call me when I can buy a GL3 HDV camera with a 1 lux rating for under $4000...

Steven White September 15th, 2005 07:43 AM

If you tell me I can use this new canon and go to a firestore at 24fps, then great, but if I have to go to 30i, and then do pull downs, then this camera failed all of us who intend to broadcast HD

Whether it comes out of HD-SDI as 24p or in a 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pull-down is irrelevant. Because it's uncompressed there will be no loss in quality, futher to that, since you do need a codec solution to record to disk anyway (think HDCAM SR, DVCPRO-HD, HDCAM, etc.) pull-down removal can also be hardware performed to lay down a pure 24p file prior to compression. Cineform has implemented this technology in software with AspectHD 3.1 (to remove the 2:3 pulldown from CF24 files) - and it works like a charm. You never have to waste CPU cycles on pull-down reversal again.

-Steve

Thomas Smet September 15th, 2005 08:14 AM

I do not think Canon is late at all. Considering there is an actual working model at the show means they have been working on this for a long time. They just chose not to say anything to us goons to get us all wetting our pants and talking for the last 6 months on "What kind of chips will it have?"

While Panasonic and JVC have been nice to give us details it hasn't really done much but get us over excited and waste time on the forums instead of actually working and making money. I figured it was a no brainer that eventually there would be other HDV options in the near future and so I wanted to wait. I am in no hurry and am making just as much money right now if not more since I didn't have to invest in new equipment. I am making a huge move and starting the business all over again in January and by that time there will be a lot of nice options for gear.

Zack Birlew September 15th, 2005 02:48 PM

Well, I'm glad Canon came out with SOMETHING at least. But I'm a filmmaker kind of guy, so I'm not too pleased with the choice of HDV, though the SDI output sounds nice. The only problem with that is that I don't have any SDI equipment. Plus the 24F thing is still up in the air in terms of quality, so I think I'll wait to see the HVX200.