DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HDV Playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51097-hdv-playback.html)

Bob Thompson September 14th, 2005 08:07 PM

HDV Playback

On plackback of HDV material will it be possible to downconvert so you you can obtain SD out of the camera

Michael Dalton September 14th, 2005 08:41 PM

this is something I would like to know too...

As I'm considering my options on Cameras now, it is for the future. Editing systems and gear will take a while before the options are out there. I'm looking to shot HD but finish in SD, and then 4-5 years when HD is more popular, then I have my HD masters.

Bob Thompson September 14th, 2005 08:55 PM

Michael,

Thats exactly what I was thinking, but a most of my work is wildlife filming I like the Canon interchangeable lenses.

If I shoot with this camera XLh1 but SD 16:9 will the quality be as good as the XL2

Jay Gladwell September 15th, 2005 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dalton
... and then 4-5 years when HD is more popular, then I have my HD masters.

But, Michael, many of us are concerned that the format will have changed in that length of time.

Jay

Edwin Hernandez September 15th, 2005 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
But, Michael, many of us are concerned that the format will have changed in that length of time.

Jay

With the prices on HDV gear and the history of DV, I really don't think the format is going to be changed before 4-5 years. I know that technology goes faster everytime and I'm sure the tapeless approach of the Panasonic will reign in the future. But technology is also market driven. The HDV group will do the same as the DV and they will be making every single consumer camcorder in the HDV format for the following years and that will make the format last longer. The DV tapes are cheap and the mechanism is the same so I suppose the format might be a winner in the short term. The only bad thing about HDV is the mpeg compression.

-EDWIN

Yi Fong Yu September 15th, 2005 06:17 AM

i think 1920x1080p will be the last great consumer format.

Shannon Rawls December 15th, 2005 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
On plackback of HDV material will it be possible to downconvert so you you can obtain SD out of the camera

YES, it can.

Paul Doherty December 15th, 2005 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell

Jay

I would suggest that even if the format has changed in that time you will still have far more future proofing with HDV masters shot on an XLH1, than SD masters shot on an XL1 or XL2.

Whatever camera you buy now will be out of date in 4-5 years (but some more than others!)