DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   H1 and XL-2 Lens Hoods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51146-h1-xl-2-lens-hoods.html)

James Emory September 15th, 2005 01:25 PM

H1 and XL-2 Lens Hoods

Why do the other HDV cameras have a 16x9 lens hood when the H1 and XL-2 do not? So, why don't you see the left and right sides of the 4:3 hood when using the XL-2 or H1?

Tim Commeijne September 15th, 2005 02:28 PM

what does your lenscap have to do with your image size??
what if your lenscap is round, or a triangle, does not matter.

Why in gods name would your lenscap be in your image becouse it is not in 16:9 shape??
As long as your lenscap is not longer or bigger than the widest vieuw of your lens.

weired question

James Emory September 15th, 2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Commeijne
As long as your lenscap is not longer or bigger than the widest vieuw of your lens.

Tim. Do you hear yourself? First of all I said hood not cap. You contradicted yourself by saying that it doesn't matter what shape it is and then you proceed to state the rule above. If it doesn't matter, then why are 16x9 hoods and matte boxes made? And no, it's not a weird question because what I said is true. The other HDV cameras have a larger hood to accommodate the field of view whereas the Canon does not and I want to know why. Some of us don't know it all like yourself.

Chris Hurd September 15th, 2005 10:45 PM

Easy there James. Yes the lens hoods are identical. The 20x HD lens is not all that wide, so the hood shape is not an issue.

James Emory September 15th, 2005 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info Chris. That's all I wanted to know. One of the reasons I like this board is that most of the members just answer questions without a comment or putting someone down. I've seen plenty of other questions and answered a few over the past few years that I thought were kind of basic but didn't do that. I figured that's where that person is in their knowledge and asking questions is how they are going to learn more. He shouldn't have said it was a weird question especially after contradicting himself, ha ha ha. Now, I'm going to take my ball and play in another room for a while. :)

Chris Hurd September 15th, 2005 11:05 PM

DV Info Net, it's the way the internet *should* be.

Tim Commeijne September 16th, 2005 12:09 AM

James,

Sorry, didn't want to put anyone down, just didn't understand why the lenshood would be in the image. I just wanted to say that it doesn't realy matter what shape it is, if your angle is not to wide, alltough you might get better results from a 16:9 shaped lenshood when working with 16:9 images.

greets
Tim

James Emory September 16th, 2005 12:26 AM

Thanks for that. I understand the concept of scale for the hood or matte box to accommodate the lens's wideness or longness. But didn't get why the Canon doesn't utilize a larger hood until Chris's post. I don't know the specs of the other camera's lenses to compare them to the Canon. The Canon stock lens is just longer than the others therefore it's not going to see the edges of the smaller hood. Now the wide lens is going to be a different story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Commeijne

Didn't you mean smaller rather than bigger than the widest view of your lens? Because if your hood is smaller than your widest view, you will see the edges.

Greg Boston September 16th, 2005 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Emory
Thanks for that. I understand the concept of scale for the hood or matte box to accommodate the lens's wideness or longness. But didn't get why the Canon doesn't utilize a larger hood until Chris's post. I don't know the specs of the other camera's lenses to compare them to the Canon. The Canon stock lens is just longer than the others therefore it's not going to see the edges of the smaller hood. Now the wide lens is going to be a different story.

Didn't you mean smaller rather than bigger than the widest view of your lens? Because if your hood is smaller than your widest view, you will see the edges.

Maybe he meant shallower, as in front to back dimension.

James Emory September 16th, 2005 12:51 AM

Okay. Thanks Greg. That makes perfect sense.