DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips now available for download (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/52060-kaku-itos-xl-h1-video-clips-now-available-download.html)

Kevin Wild October 1st, 2005 05:07 PM

Yes, these will be difficult decisions that would be MUCH MORE difficult had the Canon been priced around $6K. I hope they sell a bunch of them to small market stations. Videographers, indy filmmakers, etc? Hope they can sell a couple dozen...:-) That price isn't exactly in any "sweet spot" I know of other than for the studio guys.

KW

Antoine Fabi October 1st, 2005 05:32 PM

I'd like to see if playing with the settings can improve the dynamic range.
I looks HiDef for sure, but it seems that it can't handle the highlights very much.

Nate Weaver October 1st, 2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Looks very DV video-like to me. I was hoping to be blown away.

I personally saw a boatload of resolution, and latitude and color response at the very least par for a camera at this price range.

That's already enough to get some amazing images if it's not shot "video-like".

Chris Hurd October 1st, 2005 05:46 PM

Remember there's 23 different custom presets in this thing, some with parameters adjustable from -9 to +9. Most likely Kaku hasn't even touched the custom presets yet.

Barry Green October 1st, 2005 06:02 PM

Unable to download the chromatic-aberration or conversation clips...

Michael Wisniewski October 1st, 2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
... there's 23 different custom presets in this thing, some with parameters adjustable from -9 to +9

that makes 1,619,388,551,833,115,628,318,743,232 different image settings to be exact

Michael Maier October 1st, 2005 06:26 PM

It looks like video.
Honestly, I'm not impressed. Not because it looks bad. It looks good! Resolution is good. It looks like great video, and that was the problem. It looks like ultra sharp video. Not filmic at all in my opinion. But then again, it's really interlaced and not progressive. As I expected, it looked a lot like a Z1.
I only watched the 30f and 24f, because all that was said about how great it looked and that it looked the same as progressive. Well, it didn't. For me, it doesn't look like film at all. Nothing even close to Nate's L.A. footage when it comes to looking like film. I would like to point, that I'm in no way criticizing the shooter. The video looked great.

Michael Maier October 1st, 2005 06:30 PM

By the way, why is the chormatic aberration clip dead?
So the lens also produces CA?

Stephen van Vuuren October 1st, 2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
By the way, why is the chormatic aberration clip dead?
So the lens also produces CA?

Yep, it is dead. I would love to see it too.

Kaku Ito October 1st, 2005 06:49 PM

Good morning.

I just woke up.

I did not use the parameters in the presets much since I'm not that inclined with film style shooting at all. Only did few with adjusting Knee and Black Stretch. I can try with some of the presents already in there, but I don't know how good they are.

I'm going to Yoyogi park today for more clips. Also the real aberration testing clip is coming today. The aberration clip which is uploaded now is footage I shot of sun flashing through the woods and I saw the similar unwanted colors that someone mentioned.

I'm not sure if I should be doing film style at all, a rock musician can't really play classic music, and I have to do my own testing as a camera for moutainbike shooting.

But I promised Sanjin about green back shooting using HDSDI and Kona 2 or Decklink HD, that is what something not easily provided, so I'm going to do my best to cover this footage. I will probably shoot my hand palying a guitar or something.

Stephen van Vuuren October 1st, 2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Ok, maybe David can answer this:

Why is Bikeseq24 showing up as 29.97, but has no visible pulldown applied? It doesn't even look like it's 24fps playing at 30...

In other words, it has all the hallmarks of a 30p clip.

(nevermind, I just saw his post way up there)

I'm seeing the exact same thiing looking at the clip in WMP, VLAC, and Vegas 6.0c. If that's really 24F, something is amiss.

Soroush Shahrokni October 1st, 2005 08:31 PM

Good morning Kaku, I really look forward to see new clips from the Canon. I would really like to see some more 24f if you have time!

Stephen van Vuuren October 1st, 2005 08:32 PM

Kaku:

Great to see some footage.

What shutter speeds are you shooting at, especially in 24f mode?

Can you shot a locked off tripod shot of a complex scene, once in 24F, one in 30F and once in 60i?

thanks again for shooting and posting!

Soroush Shahrokni October 1st, 2005 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
It looks like video.
Honestly, I'm not impressed. Not because it looks bad. It looks good! Resolution is good. It looks like great video, and that was the problem. It looks like ultra sharp video. Not filmic at all in my opinion. But then again, it's really interlaced and not progressive. As I expected, it looked a lot like a Z1.
I only watched the 30f and 24f, because all that was said about how great it looked and that it looked the same as progressive. Well, it didn't. For me, it doesn't look like film at all. Nothing even close to Nate's L.A. footage when it comes to looking like film. I would like to point, that I'm in no way criticizing the shooter. The video looked great.

My exact feelings...as a Canon fan and long time user I expected more from a $9k camera, specially from its 24F. Even if I could afford the Canon or if it would cost as much as the JVC I would still pick the latter as the 720p footage suits my taste more.

Im sure though that you could squeeze out some really stunning footage from the Canon...but Im afraid interlaced chips are crippled when compared to real progressive ones in terms of true film motion...no CF nor 24F seem to be able to change that fact!

You want video look, choose Sony or Canon. You want 24p, its either JVC or the HVX...there is no way around this. The HVX users will be lucky enough to have the best of both worlds and more if they are ok with a fixed lens and P2 storage!

Nate Weaver October 1st, 2005 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
...but Im afraid interlaced chips are crippled when compared to real progressive ones in terms of true film motion...no CF nor 24F seem to be able to change that fact!

How are you arriving at that conclusion when talking about the Canon?

Have you even seen the footage?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network