DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-H1 video Demonstration online from Resfest Chicago (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/52464-xl-h1-video-demonstration-online-resfest-chicago.html)

Stephen L. Noe October 9th, 2005 01:03 AM

XL-H1 video Demonstration online from Resfest Chicago

Hi guys and gals,

I've encoded some footage of an XL-H1 demonstration that took place at Resfeset Chicago. This was a personal demonstration so you'll get to see pretty much everything.

Click here for wmv (Win)

Click here for mov (Mac)

enjoy amigo's...

Martin Costa October 9th, 2005 03:21 AM

Thanks for the wmv Stephen, what were your views on the camera?

Pekka Uotila October 9th, 2005 05:04 AM

I wish I could see something...

Adrian Vallarino October 9th, 2005 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Hi guys and gals,

I've encoded some footage of an XL-H1 demonstration that took place at Resfeset Chicago. This was a personal demonstration so you'll get to see pretty much everything.

Click here for wmv

enjoy amigo's...

What a surprise. that WVMNMNMNMWWV crap wont play, QuickTime PLS!!

Mathieu Ghekiere October 9th, 2005 05:54 AM

It works on my computer.
Thanks for the video!

I know this is going to sound stupid, to like such a little feature on a 9000 dollar camera, but I like it very much Canon made those 2.35.1 safety zones in their viewfinder!

Greg Boston October 9th, 2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Vallarino
What a surprise. that WVMNMNMNMWWV crap wont play, QuickTime PLS!!

Adrian,

Since you're a new boot, I'll give you a warning this time. Please read our posting rules. The tone and language in your post is not acceptable here. The appropriate way to phrase your post would have been, "I'm unable to play the WMV file, any chance you could provide a version in Quicktime format."

The underlying tone of your post constitutes a platform bashing and won't be tolerated.

Thanks for your understanding,

-gb-

Anhar Miah October 9th, 2005 08:46 AM

oops

The link seems to be down :(

oh well.

Greg maybe you could please check its working again?

Thanks

Anhar

Stephen L. Noe October 9th, 2005 09:07 AM

Alright guys and gals,

I had to relink the file. It's up now and a pretty detailed demo.

Mac guys - I'll see what I can do about QT. The issue is that QT7Pro has 'issues' with windows so the best I can do with a file this big is Sorenson which will kill the quality. Let me work on it....

Rabi Syid October 9th, 2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Adrian,

Since you're a new boot, I'll give you a warning this time. Please read our posting rules. The tone and language in your post is not acceptable here. The appropriate way to phrase your post would have been, "I'm unable to play the WMV file, any chance you could provide a version in Quicktime format."

The underlying tone of your post constitutes a platform bashing and won't be tolerated.

Thanks for your understanding,

-gb-

Amen. Its so needed and i thank God this forum isn't like the others warzones on the net!

Chris Hurd October 9th, 2005 03:30 PM

Indeed, that's what separates us from all the rest. Thanks for noticing!

Stephen L. Noe October 9th, 2005 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Costa
Thanks for the wmv Stephen, what were your views on the camera?

My very first reaction as it sat on the table was that it was a handsom camera to look at. It has a lot in the menu's so there is a learning curve to the camera. I can't say too much about the picture quality because it's so customizable, it wouldn't be fair to say anything at all. The Frame mode looked (in the viewfinder) like progressive to me. If you pan too quickly there is the stutter as on any progressive camera. I like the fact that Canon has concentrated on upping the ante with audio. In hindsight, I wish I would have asked to break the camera down and tried the XL2's lens on the H1's body. Sorry I didn't think about that at the time. The camera is solidly built. It was either magnesium or some hard plastic with a magnesium powder coat paint. Either way, it is substantial

The camera is heavy. A person would have to either:
a) put it on a tripod and dolly and just dolly it around or
b) buy some "Body by Jake" tapes and beef up your upper body to handle it for very long. I'm no small guy and I think it is heavy.
c) shoot like it is a chest cam and just hold the handle or cradle the camera.

If I would have had one wish while I was standing there playing with the Canon it would have been to take it outside and see the image while outside in the street. The inside environs of the Resfest were sterile so there was not much to point the camera at other than people or white walls.

In summary,

It's a beautiful camera that has completely customizable menu's and is heavy.

P.S. I've noticed the conversations about the XL-H1 has waned in the last week. Over on DVXuser there was no activity for 2 days until I posted this clip and on Cow there busy talking about the HD-100. I don't think the XL-H1 stirs the crowd like the HVX200 and the HD-100 is a current product that people are shooting with now.

Chris Hurd October 9th, 2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

The camera is solidly built. It was either magnesium or some hard plastic with a magnesium powder coat paint.

The camera chassis is magnesium alloy, just like the previous XL and GL series.

Canon is offering a "chest pod" support bracket an an accessory to the XL H1. That should alleviate some of the substantial front-end weight.

Pekka Uotila October 10th, 2005 12:26 AM

Thank you Stephen for giving the Mac version aswell.
All this, what you, Kaku and others have been giving here on this forum just help us (who live in the periphery) so much !

Peter Ferling October 11th, 2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
..Canon is offering a "chest pod" support bracket an an accessory to the XL H1. That should alleviate some of the substantial front-end weight.

Folks at Varizoom have an adjustable two-point shoulder/torso rig that I use on the XL1s. It's very comfortable, and when balanced right, I can have both hands free to work with in between takes.

Pete

George Ellis October 11th, 2005 10:31 AM

Thanks Stephen (did not feel like logging in at PCLE ;) )

Stephen L. Noe October 12th, 2005 07:10 AM

OT: Did you plan on going to liquid immersion?

George Ellis October 12th, 2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

OT: Did you plan on going to liquid immersion?

No. While it sounds great, I am in Indianapolis that week for Band of America Championships (attending, not shooting).

Stephen L. Noe October 21st, 2005 08:40 AM

OT: Now that Avid is getting their hands in, it sounds a little more interesting. I wish they'd have choosen Las Vegas or somewhere that has direct (cheap) flights from everywhere instead. The sign up sheet list 90% Califonia based operations. Maybe next year....

Dalen Johnson October 21st, 2005 09:29 AM

thanks for the clip...

Guest October 21st, 2005 04:41 PM

thank you Stephen. Nice job, good questions.

Stephen L. Noe October 30th, 2005 06:57 PM

Server down

Guys and gals,

The server is down for repairs right now so the supplied video is inaccessible. When the server has it's 'repairs' the video will be available again.

all the best amigos.