recording without tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 25th, 2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

recording without tape

Its been 5 years my xlh1 sat in mothballs. I got it out and the tape mechanism is not working properly it seems.
runs a second or two and stalls, runs ok then when I try to download it stalls every second or two
I tried it in SD and run it in my xl2 and it does the same thing, so it definitely is a tape/ recording issue.
Canon will not repair it I was told, to old Apparently.

is there a reasonable way to record from the camera bypassing the tape? I looked at b and h and todays digital recorders are all hdmi.

Any help appreciated.
Old March 25th, 2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: recording without tape

I used to run my two HDV Canon cameras, an XH-A1 and an XH-A1S without tape all the time the last two or three years I was using them. The compact flash recorders I used on both were the DataVideo DN-60. It did become hard to find proper CF cards for the recorders at the end. Check the DataVideo website...
Old March 26th, 2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Dale does the XLH1 have an sdi output? There are some external recorders with sdi but I don't have any experience with them.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In the past I used a Focus Firestore recorder, your camera needs a firewire out. You could pick one up for $200-$400 on ebay
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 05:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

+1 for the firestorm. I've still got one for an old JVC and it solves the problem quite nicely.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post

is there a reasonable way to record from the camera bypassing the tape? I looked at b and h and todays digital recorders are all hdmi.

Any help appreciated.
I have a FireStore, but when it started acting glitchy, I figured out a way to make my Atomos Shogun work with my XH-A1. You can run the HD component-out RGB cable that came with the camera into a Component-To-HDMI adapter. I bought one that was advertised as a way to hook your Playstation 2 up to an HDMI Tv. It was less than $20 and is powered by USB. (I have a power strip with USB ports). It's basically an HDMI-port on one end and R/G/B video, L/R audio on the other. If you feed it audio with your A/V cable, it will even embed the audio. Works like a charm.

I was able to eventually repair my FireStore by replacing the hard drive. (I actually found an IDE SSD that not only has higher capacity, but uses less juice and has almost zero chance of overheating). I still used the Shogun because my XHA1 has the tiny firewire port instead of the thicker one from the revised version.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 09:26 AM   #7
New Boot

recording without tape

i have focus fs-c and i can't sync with canon xl2, do you know how to do it ??? ..
Jose Manuel Mahedero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Make sure that your 4pin to 8pin FireWire cable is plugged into the right port on the FS-C. (One is labeled Computer I/O and is for hooking to your PC, one is labeled DV and is for your camera).
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders