Can you get 24p from the HD SDI BNC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 7th, 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you get 24p from the HD SDI BNC?

I'm looking in the near future of getting an external recorder for my XL H1 to bypass the HDV codec on the tape but I shoot at 24F only and was wondering of in 24F, its 24p gets put into a pulldown given the SDI is a 60i signal? Is it possible to shoot 24p from the HD SDI or is 24F exclusive to Tape shooting and capture via firewire only?
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Can you get 24p from the HD SDI BNC?

I think you would have no problem getting true 24p from your 60i output using the UpDownCross converter from Blackmagic or Decimator's 12G-CROSS

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/...pecs/W-CONM-28

https://decimator.com/Products/MiniC...12G-CROSS.html

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Wouldn't something like the Atomos Samurai Blade be able to just detect the pulldown in the 60i? I dont understand why I would need a DA attached to the camera. Seems a bit convoluted.
Old September 8th, 2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Krumlauf View Post
I'm looking in the near future of getting an external recorder for my XL H1 to bypass the HDV codec on the tape but I shoot at 24F only and was wondering of in 24F, its 24p gets put into a pulldown given the SDI is a 60i signal? Is it possible to shoot 24p from the HD SDI or is 24F exclusive to Tape shooting and capture via firewire only?
Not to be negative, but a variation of what you asked someone else on another thread, I dont understand why you'd waste time and effort shooting with a camera that is so out of date. What is the point? Pennywise and pound foolish. If you don't want convolution, choose one of the literally hundreds of newer cameras that can eat this camera's lunch.
Old September 9th, 2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Krumlauf View Post
Wouldn't something like the Atomos Samurai Blade be able to just detect the pulldown in the 60i? I dont understand why I would need a DA attached to the camera. Seems a bit convoluted.
If you connect a Samurai to the camera it will auto detect the 60i and show you 60i in the top left of the screen. If you tap the 60i number it will halve the frame rate and flag it as PSF with a little yellow PSF flag. Remember Progressive Segmented Frame is actually two fields in a container not true progressive. Some NLE's will not detect the footage as PSF and will end up seeing and treating the footage as normal interlace. With some weird artifacts to go along with it. You will have tp set your project properties to progressive for the footage to be handled correctly. With the converters they will actually convert interlace to true progressive frames. As Doug suggests you are on a bit of a mission with that camera but if you want to use it and output a true progressive stream a converter is the way to go,.. I would suggest... but others may have other suggestions.

Chris Young.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 09:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Not to be negative, but a variation of what you asked someone else on another thread, I dont understand why you'd waste time and effort shooting with a camera that is so out of date. What is the point? Pennywise and pound foolish. If you don't want convolution, choose one of the literally hundreds of newer cameras that can eat this camera's lunch.
....Partially because I hate CMOS cameras. Its a personal preference. I float within CCD technology because I prefer it. I don't really feel like I need to explain my reasoning for using a camera, nor should anyone else honestly.
Old September 11th, 2020, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
If you connect a Samurai to the camera it will auto detect the 60i and show you 60i in the top left of the screen. If you tap the 60i number it will halve the frame rate and flag it as PSF with a little yellow PSF flag. Remember Progressive Segmented Frame is actually two fields in a container not true progressive. Some NLE's will not detect the footage as PSF and will end up seeing and treating the footage as normal interlace. With some weird artifacts to go along with it. You will have tp set your project properties to progressive for the footage to be handled correctly. With the converters they will actually convert interlace to true progressive frames. As Doug suggests you are on a bit of a mission with that camera but if you want to use it and output a true progressive stream a converter is the way to go,.. I would suggest... but others may have other suggestions.

Chris Young.
So the Atomos Samurai can remove the pulldown? I was looking at the Blade model which seems pretty cheap on Ebay now. Thanks for the info.
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders