DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Ag-hvx200 <> Xl H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/54846-ag-hvx200-xl-h1.html)

Amr Toukhy November 22nd, 2005 10:15 PM

Ag-hvx200 <> Xl H1

Dear All,

i have two questions:

01) If i connect both Pana > Component & Canon > SDI to an uncompressed editing station and captured footage, which camera will get me better footage!

02) I'am an XL1s owner and each time i go to a shoot, i just come back with a softer image than the SONY PD170P but a MUCH nicer colors and feel, is this the case for the XL H1 "softer but better colors, or did it get any sharp!!!"

Thanks,
Amr Toukhy

Chris Hurd November 22nd, 2005 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amr Toukhy
which camera will get me better footage!

Neither, because "better footage" is never determined by the camera itself.

Quote:

is this the case for the XL H1 "softer but better colors, or did it get any sharp!
It is much sharper, with controls to dial in sharpness or softness to the degree you desire.

Amr Toukhy November 22nd, 2005 11:14 PM

Thanks Chris,

I did not understand your point by saying "Neither" and how come the better footage is never determind by the camera, do you mean lighting and all the other stuff... if it is so i know, but i ment " better image" technically let's say for:

01) Chroma keying.
02) Witch will hold more for post color correction.
03) Sharpness !!

Things of this sort !!
Thanks,
Amr

Kevin Shaw November 22nd, 2005 11:48 PM

Assuming both cameras are comparably well designed, the HD-SDI output on the Canon should be capable of delivering a technically better video stream than the HVX200. That's arguably the most interesting feature of the Canon model; otherwise it's basically an overpriced HDV camera. But it's really a pointless question until we get to see some actual real-world footage; then we can stop speculating and compare visual quality instead of technical specifications.

Kevin Wild November 23rd, 2005 12:48 AM

I would go as far to say that I trust Canon glass a bit more if everything else is equal. BUT, I'm not sure this is what Chris is saying, but other things have a heckuva' lot more influence on your picture in this case, then picking 1 of these 2 cameras. Lighting, probably the biggest factor in making your picture great. I would say either one technically will be fine for what you want to do.

KW

Lloyd Ranola November 23rd, 2005 01:56 AM

The Canon Glass has been improved quite a bit thus the big price tag.. but also, between the 4:2:2 out the SDI and fact that you can preset match (and save on the SD card) your settings on the Canon...you'll not only have a better picture, but if you're using multiple Canon H1's they can all go out HD SDI and be fully color/settings matched by uploading the settings to the other cams....

speaking of color/settings matched, since you can save the settings for later use.. you can go back to a set at a later time to get the exact same picture (all other things like lighting and makeup being equal).

Nick Hiltgen November 23rd, 2005 07:52 AM

I think what chris was saying is that better footage is usually determined by the person behind the camera more then the camera itself.

The camera should be pletny sharp for you, in fact you'll proabbly want to invest in a couple of promists and/or soft fx filters.

For green screening personally I suppose I would want to the xl-h1 because there is more information running through the hd-sdi port.

post color correction will largely depend on how you collect the data. HDV will hold somewhere around 25MB a second (xl-H1) HD-DVCPRO will hold around 100MB (hdx-200) and uncomprssed is somewhere near 1.5Gb a second (xl-H1 HD-SDI port). So it depends on the capture. Personally I believe with the matrix setup for each camera you are better off just color correcting as best you can on-set instead of in post.