DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 tape stock ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/56571-xl-h1-tape-stock.html)

Johan Forssblad August 31st, 2006 03:35 AM

Hi,
I'm using Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ with great results so far. A Canon rep. told me they will do fine (exactly as the Canon labeled tapes) and cost me about USD 8 + VAT each.
I have had really bad results with Sony audio tapes in the past so I didn't want to put my money in the pocket of Sony. According to what I have heard Sony used wet lubrication compared to many others who used dry lubrication. Perhaps the wet lubrication isn't wet anymore after some years of storage.
I cannot play my old Sony ULH tape recordings without a terrible hissing sound which goes all the way into the tape recorders head and out through the loudspeakers! Sony replaced my first tapes after several years admitting they had trouble. Then they gave me new tapes (blanks - I lost my recordings). The same happened to these new tapes after 10 years.
But let's talk digital video tapes. Many have bad experience if they switch between different tape lubrications. I would put my cent on a dry tape - think it is more stable over time but it is just a guess.
I suggest you buy a quality tape and stay with it. And don't let any dust enter the tape or tape chamber in your camera if possible.
Good luck. Let's see if any of us can play our tapes after 10 or 20 years!

Steve Rosen August 31st, 2006 06:59 AM

Over 100 tapes in 8 months with Sony Digital master tapes - cleaned heads twice during that time - one drop-out (which I believe may have really been a time code glitch since it occured right at the beginning of a shot and wouldn't allow me to batch capture)...

Jacques Mersereau August 31st, 2006 07:32 AM

I used to be a Sony guy, but here at the U. we've been using
Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ and I have found this stock to be much
more reliable (using MiniDV) than Sony, including, Premium,
Excellence and Digital Master DVCAM.

When I bought the H1 I decided to switch and go with Panasonic.

So far so good.

YMMV :)

Steven Rupert September 22nd, 2006 12:48 PM

So what is the concensus??? I just ordered my camera and I need to know.

Christian Bertolini September 22nd, 2006 07:27 PM

This may just be a silly question, but can the quality of the tape affect the noise level in the video image?

Thanks

Josh Dahlberg September 22nd, 2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Bertolini
This may just be a silly question, but can the quality of the tape affect the noise level in the video image?

Thanks

no, the issue is not picture quality as all tapes will record identical digital information. It's just a matter of reliability - avoiding clogging of the heads and dropouts. Higher priced tapes are generally more durable and reliable.

Ken Diewert September 22nd, 2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Rupert
So what is the concensus??? I just ordered my camera and I need to know.

Steven,

I don't think there is a concensus. My dealer - whom I trust, told me high end Sony's. Others say high end Panasonic.

I think that you could say...stick with the same brand of high end tapes (don't mix brands), and have the heads professionally cleaned reasonably often. Don't use a cleaning tape unless you're threatened at gunpoint, or you're stuck with no choice.

Steven Rupert September 23rd, 2006 02:08 AM

Great advice Ken thanks so much. I RARELY post here for two reasons. One I am such a rookie and don't want to bug people and second because I just try and absorb everythig I read. LOL

Again much thanks for your imput. It was very kind of you.

Andy Lunn May 1st, 2007 05:48 AM

Tape stock for the xlh1

Any suggestions on what brand of make, to get the best HD > tape out of this camera?

cheers.

A.

ps. Is this ok?

http://www.aprmedia.com/product.php?pid=3373

im UK Based.

Per Johan Naesje May 1st, 2007 07:13 AM

Andy, this has been discussed thousand times. If you do a search you'll find many threads, especially in "the long black line".
My tip will be to stay at the same brand all the time. No tapes gives you a better "image" cause it only zero and ones being stored on the tape.

Andy Lunn May 1st, 2007 07:33 AM

Sorry forgot about the search function.

But why are some tapes branded mini dv HD and cost more?

Mike Teutsch May 1st, 2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Lunn (Post 670522)
Sorry forgot about the search function.

But why are some tapes branded mini dv HD and cost more?

They are supposedly made to higher standards to help reduce problems such as drop-outs. But, it is more important how you care for your camera and whatever tapes you use, than WHAT tape you use. It's all just 1's and 0's, no difference in image quality, color or anything else.

Now head off to "The Long Black Line" and have fun reading! :)

Mike

Dave Gosley November 13th, 2007 01:22 PM

What tape stock do you recomend please?

Hi all,
This is an amazing forum, congratulations on it.
However, for me it has brought so many questions to my mind.
I almost feel I bought something I'll never get used to.

In the meantime, having bought the camera and read about drop out etc here...I am confused as to what tape stock to buy for this camera.

Can anyone please recommend - please?

Thanks
Dave

Mick Jenner November 13th, 2007 01:49 PM

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I only ever use Sony HDV 63min Digital Master Tapes and have never had a drop out. I am sure others will give you their advice.

Regards

Mick.

Josh Dahlberg November 17th, 2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Gosley (Post 774803)
Can anyone please recommend - please?e

I've used Panasonic MQ and AMQ without any problems - quite a bit cheaper than HDV branded tapes (of course, Panasonic doesn't do HDV) but very high quality.

Choose one tape stock and stick to it, that's the main thing. Enjoy.