DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Best settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/56670-best-settings.html)

Chuck Wall December 22nd, 2005 09:30 PM

Best settings

HI

In another post "Sony F900 XLH1" compared Shannon and Nick had
tweaked in an XLH1 to look like the Cinealta. I just got mine today
and was wondering if those settings could be shared?!

Thanks all, this forum cinched my decision to get the Canon, I had
considered the HVX200 but with the P2/hard drive solutions not quite there
and the praise this cam received helped. I plan to offer the
camera for rental in my area and I would like to get it set up
to look its best.

Chuck

Shannon Rawls December 22nd, 2005 10:17 PM

What area are you in?
How do you like it thus far?

We didnt have the camera on any settings whatsoever. it was on the "FRESH OUT THE BOX" image settings. Everything in the center.

Nick did however tweak the iris, shutterspeeds and white balances. other then that, he went head-up with the F900 Dialed-Out.

Chris will be making a post for us to share camera settings. We just need to send them to him in a properly formated and virus scanned email. I am making a few myself for various looks. Are you a DP? What kind of filmstock and shoot technique do you think they used on the movie "Underworld"?

- ShannonRawls.com

Pete Tomov December 23rd, 2005 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
What kind of filmstock and shoot technique do you think they used on the movie "Underworld"?

Try getting the red saturation all the way down and the green...i'd say half the way down but play with this one,depends on what kind of blue you want.The one thing i can tell from watching the first one and the trailer of the second is that there's no red.In the trailer there's an explosion and even in the flames you can't see a hint of red,instead it looks kinna green.

EDIT:Nope,just rewatched the trailer,there is a slight hint of red...a vary slight hint of red.

Chuck Wall December 23rd, 2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
What area are you in?
How do you like it thus far?

We didnt have the camera on any settings whatsoever. it was on the "FRESH OUT THE BOX" image settings. Everything in the center.

Nick did however tweak the iris, shutterspeeds and white balances. other then that, he went head-up with the F900 Dialed-Out.

I am in the Pittsburgh PA area, I am a maint tech so I am familiar with
cameras and repairing them, just not a skilled videographer like you guys.

I am approaching this as a for rent item and I want to make sure it is adjusted the best it can be. There are some who will rent and not be up to speed and will most likely use the camera "out of the box", others will
tweak it to their tastes.

If indeed the camera can look like a much higher priced competitor
(within a reasonable range) it is certainly a good value.

I will be taking the camera out this weekend to get some beauty shots
of the city skyline and such and I can look at it on my pioneer plasma
screen or on my computer monitor.

I'll look forward to postings about good settings..

Thanks to all

Chuck