DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A few more H1/HDV/DV100 FCP QT clips to peruse. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/59396-few-more-h1-hdv-dv100-fcp-qt-clips-peruse.html)

Barlow Elton January 29th, 2006 05:37 PM

A few more H1/HDV to DV100 FCP QT clips to peruse.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Comments?

Nikial Kabel January 29th, 2006 07:20 PM

Mac only files Barlow?

Jay Morris January 29th, 2006 10:05 PM

These are quick time files. How would I bring them into Final Cut Pro so that I can view on my HDTV? I mean, I know how to import the files, but what sequence settings should I use?
Thanks!

Barlow Elton January 29th, 2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
Mac only files Barlow?

Sorry, I just threw up the raw files last night as I was heading to bed. It takes quite awhile to upload those files.

h.264's coming soon.

Barlow Elton January 29th, 2006 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Morris
These are quick time files. How would I bring them into Final Cut Pro so that I can view on my HDTV? I mean, I know how to import the files, but what sequence settings should I use?
Thanks!

Jay,

You'll need at least FCP 4.5 with the DVCPROHD codec installed. You just need to throw the clips onto a DVCPROHD timeline, which you can accomplish by going to "easy setup" and choosing DVCPRHO HD 1080i.
Import the clips into your bin and then drop them on the timeline. You can play them full screen using the desktop cinema function under View/External Video/All Frames

You can also just play the QT's onto your HD screen if it's hooked up to your Mac.

Barlow Elton January 30th, 2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikial Kabel
Mac only files Barlow?

h.264's are up

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

Nikial Kabel January 30th, 2006 06:53 PM

Looks great! Noisy, but great!

Barlow Elton January 31st, 2006 12:50 AM

The original HDV is a little cleaner. The CarlosParadox clip was slightly pushed in color correction, and then made h.264 so it's lost a bit, but overall it's still a strong image.

Nikial Kabel January 31st, 2006 02:08 AM

Yea Barlow, it looks real sharp, yet not overly sharp, has a real film like finish to it.

I'd really love to see some dramatic lighting schemes from an H1.

Shawn Alyasiri January 31st, 2006 10:34 AM

I had to work with it a bit to get it to jive on my Edius system - noticed noise in the coat area, figured it was from all of the transcoding.

Very compelling footage though. I'm very close to ordering...

Thanks for this footage very much. Please let us know if you have anything else. I'm making a number of critical decisions today.

Shawn Alyasiri January 31st, 2006 10:36 AM

.m2t?

BTW - do you have the ability to upload the source .m2t? That'd be great - on any/all of these clips.

Thanks again,
Shawn

Barlow Elton January 31st, 2006 12:34 PM

Possibly a few today or tomorrow. I have to go back to the original tapes.

Shawn, what are the critical questions you still have about the H1?

Shawn Alyasiri January 31st, 2006 03:35 PM

Thanks very much.

I have the Z1 & the HD100 - both of which I like - and sometimes dislike, based on capabilities in certain environments. It appears that the H1 can fill in gaps between, and maybe facilitate a tool for more event work, hopefully in environements that aren't as 'controlled'. All footage so far suggests this can be the case.

I would miss a more manual lens (like on the HD100 or bigger cams), by which I can really ride the iris, quickly rack focus, etc. I think I've come to terms with the reality that I'll probably have to buy a bigger camera later this year - probably the Grass Valley Infinity - to do everything I want. The H1 is to fill in that gap in time, and be an awesome tool in the inventory as well.

I also want to use it with the P&S mini35.

So - was really looking for what people said about how the H1 reacts in quicker change environments (ie: can you roll the iris open/closed quickly and smoothly, or is it a blocky effect (it adjusts by 1/4 stops) - overall image in low light using 6-12db gain - where the lens really falls off at tele f/3.5, and how dark that is in the focal range, etc. Would love to hear what people said about it's run/gun capability - are adjustments to iris smooth - can you put a little gain on it and the image won't suffer much (like the Z1 at 6-9db), etc. Just questions about function and threshold I guess.

Turns out I'm going against my initial intentions and buying 1 or 2 of each of these smaller guys, rather than save for one big one that would fill every need (other than portability and affordability).

Just looking for last second hand-holding before dumping another $10K into something, where I could have saved it to aply to a $40K something 4-5 months later.

Hard to say. Thanks for all the info and footage though. It is the sole reason I'm even looking at the cam in the first place.

Many thanks as always,

Shawn

Barlow Elton January 31st, 2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri
So - was really looking for what people said about how the H1 reacts in quicker change environments (ie: can you roll the iris open/closed quickly and smoothly, or is it a blocky effect (it adjusts by 1/4 stops) - overall image in low light using 6-12db gain - where the lens really falls off at tele f/3.5, and how dark that is in the focal range, etc. Would love to hear what people said about it's run/gun capability - are adjustments to iris smooth - can you put a little gain on it and the image won't suffer much (like the Z1 at 6-9db), etc. Just questions about function and threshold I guess

It appears to be less blocky when rolling the iris, at least when compared to how I remember the old XL1. Never used an XL2. Still, it's not quite like a good manual lens.

Gain: VERY GOOD. I've found the noise to be quite reasonable all the way to +12db.

On one of my Sundance shoots, the 20x telephoto and optical stabilization REALLY came in handy. I was shooting the Q&A of a director after her screening in a HUGE auditorium, where I was near the back of the floor seating.(it also had a balcony) I was able to get an amazing wide to CU as she said some poignant things about her film. The image was unbelievably steady for a handheld. Yes, the iris closed down a little at full tele, but it was still decent exposure.

Not too much to worry about overall, I think.

Shawn Alyasiri January 31st, 2006 11:23 PM

Thanks Barlow - as always.

Your replies are very helpful. I'm crunching numbers tonight. Might be getting another HD100/deck as well. I've gotta settle down!

Very glad to hear that it's even good at 12db. That's way more than I'd ever like to use, but it's good to know it's there. Wish they had a 9db setting - not sure why not, as I figured that would be the highest I'd want to go, if 6db wasn't cutting it...

Biggest concern was the iris control. Was hoping it was a very smooth emulation of a manual iris ring. After researching and finding it was in 1/4 stops, I got worried.

Would you say that the iris is a dial with 'detents', or is it free rolling? Also, if you make a change up or down, is it instant and abrupt on the picture, or does it slowly roll to the next step electronically, so that there's no jump in the picture. What I don't want is to be doing an event, and having to iris up or down and having there be abrupt jumps in the exposure (click, click, click), rather than a smooth opening/closing that you could do on a manual ring.

Any final clarification would be awesome.

Thanks again so much,

Shawn