DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   options for capturing HD-SDI output (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/59688-options-capturing-hd-sdi-output.html)

John Cordell February 2nd, 2006 11:27 AM

options for capturing HD-SDI output

Does anybody have suggestions for mid-to-low cost options for capturing the HD-SDI output of the H1? For those times when I am shooting green-screen, it seems worthwhile to capture the 4:2:2 data stream. I have a quad Mac that I could lug to the shoot if need be. Its drive subsystem can sustain maybe 80MB/sec write, so I'm not asking about capturing uncompressed, I assume that on the fly compression of some type will be involved.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I am deciding between the HVX200 and the H1, and understanding how easily I'll be able to capture the 4:2:2 signal is a factor for me.

thanks.

Shannon Rawls February 2nd, 2006 11:44 AM

John,
Why not get an HVX200 and you'll always have 4:2:2 no matter what you do, since that is important to you?

- ShannonRawls.com

John Cordell February 2nd, 2006 12:02 PM

I may well end up with the HVX200. Greenscreen work will only be a small percentage of the shooting I do, so it's only one factor in the decision for me.

On the H1, I like the longer lens in that it'll allow me to get shallow depth of field in more situations. I like the higher resolution (I've A/B'ed the two cameras over at Birns and Sawyer). I like the idea of being able to remove the lens. I like the future-proofing that the HD-SDI out provides. I will go tapeless on the H1, so not having P2 doesn't bother me so much.

On the HVX, I like the variable framerates, wider lens, the 100mb/sec native recording format/codec. And the colors and "feel" -- it looks more like film to my eye, but I wonder how much that gap can be closed once the H1 is really set up to look like film.

So, bottom line (for me) is that both appear to be great cameras but I'm not quite sure which is best (for me).

Vince Gaffney February 2nd, 2006 12:14 PM

i'm about to use the H1 for a greenscreen job. I'm working in SD but I'm bringing along my panasonic aj sd93 and going to dv50. I'm working on a stage so it's reasonable. even on location the deck could easily be lashed to the dolly. althuogh it's a bit loud for sync.

vince

Vincent Rozenberg February 2nd, 2006 04:12 PM

There's a about 500 dollar SDI capture card from BlackMagic design, which works works FCP. Maybe that will suit your demands?

Chet Kenisell February 12th, 2006 04:40 PM

What about the Matrox Axio? Not sure how cost effective it is for you, but you could get plenty of hard drive space, with an uncompressed HD NLE for about 30,000 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. The breakout box has HD-SDI in and out I believe.