DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Price & Longevity (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/60348-price-longevity.html)

John Benton February 10th, 2006 11:16 AM

Price & Longevity

So, I gotta admit - I am torn between the Canon and the Pany hvx200
For my needs (let's just call it low budget film/ video projects)

1) Price
is a big deal - what about these web stores
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...2803&display=2
I assume there are no accessories,
but
2000$ cheaper !

2) Direct Capture - forget P2 cards,
with the Panny I will be recording direct to Apple PB laptop (I hate the precess of re digitizing)
>How well does this direct capture work with the Canon Firewire into Apple? I realize that 24F is not supported.
But,
with Canon I can pull in a 1080/60 "capture now" and then convert it to 24p in Cinema tools ...?
(I know there is also a firestore for extra$)

THOUGH - I must say I am anamored by Elton's
>>Recort to HDV - tape
>>SDI out to a Kona card (for 550$ - I would put one into a friends G5)
>> Re Capture as DVCPRO HD & Edit

3) Third this is just my spoiled butt waiting for a Relay lens I can use with a 35mm adaptor...

!!!I am SO on the Fence,
I realize the Canon will allow me to grow more than the HVX (Unless ther is an Andromeda for the HVX)
The extra 2-3k of the Canon just puts it out of range --

David Saraceno February 10th, 2006 11:41 AM

1) Price is a big deal - what about these web stores
http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prod...2803&display=2
I assume there are no accessories, but 2000$ cheaper !

No No No No
NO NO NO NO

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754-p5-s1-d1.html

John Benton February 10th, 2006 11:42 AM

Ahh David,
Thanks,
I knew it was too good to be true...
..snif , snif...

David Saraceno February 10th, 2006 11:45 AM

The best I've seen for the Canon is $8499.00 at B&H Photo during Macworld.

Seriously, you might want to consider a Z1U and a Kona LH capture card and go straight to DVCProHD 720P on the fly.

Barlow Elton February 10th, 2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton
THOUGH - I must say I am anamored by Elton's
>>Recort to HDV - tape
>>SDI out to a Kona card (for 550$ - I would put one into a friends G5)
>> Re Capture as DVCPRO HD & Edit...

The extra 2-3k of the Canon just puts it out of range --

The tape to DV100 through SDI works really well. Consider HDV an acquisition format only and you will probably be happier with the SDI workflow. Remember, if you have any greenscreen shoots, it's really not that big a deal to lug a computer to a studio and just pipe the signal into DV100 or other i-frame codecs and get a great key. People have even achieved good keys with HDV too so you have options.

I won't knock the HVX. It's a great tool and has a lot of amazing features, but it all depends on what matters most to you.

Personally, I think they're both nearly the same cost when you consider how much P2 you will need, plus laptop, or to wait and go the hard drive route. I love the images I'm seeing from the HVX, but given only one choice, I still would choose the H1 all over again. I love the 1080 look in both 60i and 24F/P. The resolution is superb and it's great in low-light. I can't wait to put a manual lens on mine, and I really dig the SDI thing. It's like a super-firewire port built into the camera, and it has enormous possibilities.

If you're only looking for filmmaking capabilties and workflow, you might feel more instant gratification from the HVX, but the H1 offers a broader range of possibilities IMHO.

John Benton February 10th, 2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno
Seriously, you might want to consider a Z1U and a Kona LH capture card and go straight to DVCProHD 720P on the fly.

David,
if I was to do this, I would get the FX1 (I have a Beachtek adaptor for sound)
is the Z1U that much better otherwise.

> Let me see if I have this process correct:
record 1080/60 to HDV tape
output HD-SDI (does the Z1U have SDI?) into a Kona Card on a G5
Capture it in FCP and convert it using Cinema tools

Barlow,
DV100 is an I frame codec in Final Cut?
but the HD -SDI is without Sound yes?
(I know sound is on the Tape - it's just an estra step)

Thanks,
(I want a Canon, I just have to figure out how to drop this much all at once)
don't say credit card

Vincent Rozenberg February 10th, 2006 12:59 PM

- The Canon is the only sub 10.000 camera with SDI.
- The SDI-HD is indeed without sound.

John Benton February 10th, 2006 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno
The best I've seen for the Canon is $8499.00 at B&H Photo during Macworld.

David,
How would you go into the Kona deck with a Z1u/FX1?
(I think these will be updated fairly soon , any way, no? So I would wait (unless I get a great deal on an FX1)

Canon seems like it have the best potential for growth
(unless there is an Adorama solution for the HVX200)

Barlow Elton February 10th, 2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Barlow,
DV100 is an I frame codec in Final Cut?
but the HD -SDI is without Sound yes?
(I know sound is on the Tape - it's just an estra step)

Thanks,
(I want a Canon, I just have to figure out how to drop this much all at once)
don't say credit card

DV100 is i-frame, as well as other codecs at your disposal such as:

uncompressed 10, 8bit QT (requires min. 5 SATA HD RAID)
MJPEG
PhotoJPEG
Apple Intermediate

No sound, but it was meant to be dual system if tapping the SDI, like they do in TV studios. You can play audio out the analog ports and capture it sync'd with no issues in a Kona. I've even captured audio out to the stereo mini-plug in of the G5 and it worked fine. A complete hour of footage captured in one pass and transcoded to DV100 and audio acquired through the cheesy port. No sync problems and sounded shockingly good too.

Lots of options, but I like DVCPRO HD because it's an industry standard with a number of decks you can dump to if needs be.

Did someone say credit card?

Vincent Rozenberg February 10th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

David,
(I think these will be updated fairly soon , any way, no? So I would wait (unless I get a great deal on an FX1)

If I may answer, the only way to go is via component HD, there's no other HD output on the Sony's besides the Firewire.

Greg Boston February 10th, 2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
DV100 is i-frame, as well as other codecs at your disposal such as:

uncompressed 10, 8bit QT (requires min. 5 SATA HD RAID)
MJPEG
PhotoJPEG
Apple Intermediate

No sound, but it was meant to be dual system if tapping the SDI, like they do in TV studios. You can play audio out the analog ports and capture it sync'd with no issues in a Kona. I've even captured audio out to the stereo mini-plug in of the G5 and it worked fine. A complete hour of footage captured in one pass and transcoded to DV100 and audio acquired through the cheesy port. No sync problems and sounded shockingly good too.

Lots of options, but I like DVCPRO HD because it's an industry standard with a number of decks you can dump to if needs be.

Did someone say credit card?

Barlow,

I would be interested in knowing whether or not it's possible to capture the audio via firewire while capturing video via SDI. And btw, that 'cheesy' mini plug on the G5 has some pretty good specs. Go into Audio/Midi setup from the Apps/Utilities folder where you can set the resolution for audio input and output. The line in can go as high as 24/96 in two channels. Not too shabby.

-gb-

David Saraceno February 10th, 2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

David,

You take the component out plugs from the Z1U into the component inputs on the LH. Record to DVCProHD 100 1080i.

I'm not certain whether you use the XLR outputs on the Z1U or the analog outputs. I'm communicating with AJA right now about that and should have an answer this weekend.

Vincent Rozenberg February 10th, 2006 02:30 PM

From what I know is that there are only XLR inputs on the Z1, no outputs. So the cinch/RCA outputs and the headphone out (which I do not recommend) are the only options.

Barlow Elton February 10th, 2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Barlow,

I would be interested in knowing whether or not it's possible to capture the audio via firewire while capturing video via SDI. And btw, that 'cheesy' mini plug on the G5 has some pretty good specs. Go into Audio/Midi setup from the Apps/Utilities folder where you can set the resolution for audio input and output. The line in can go as high as 24/96 in two channels. Not too shabby.

-gb-

I'll give it a try, but it's unlikely to work. Audio in MPEG2 m2t is muxed together, but let's see for sure.

btw, I knew the specs were pretty good for the mini-plug audio, so that's why I tested it. I captured 16bit/48Khz uncompressed into DVCPRO HD. Works like a charm, but I'll stick to the Kona XLR plugs just to be extra sure.

David Saraceno February 10th, 2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
From what I know is that there are only XLR inputs on the Z1, no outputs. So the cinch/RCA outputs and the headphone out (which I do not recommend) are the only options.

Then you would use the analog audio connector along with the component out video connector.