DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Console SW, anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/61360-console-sw-anyone.html)

Barlow Elton February 23rd, 2006 12:37 PM

Console SW, anyone?

Anyone using the console software and could chime in about it? I'd like to know how it works and if it's worth getting.

Thanks

B.

Jack Foley February 23rd, 2006 12:52 PM

I tried to use it when i had a XLH1 over the weekend. But it crashed _all_ the time after a few seconds after the connection to the cam was established. Maybe that was because this was a PAL version of the cam, I don't know.

I used the DVrack trail instead (which I had installed on my laptop in preparation ;) ) and it did an excellent job.

Pete Bauer February 23rd, 2006 06:31 PM

Hey Barlow, you can download a trial version for free from the Canon site to see if it is worth the cost to you. I tried the trial and did NOT buy it at the $599 price they were asking; haven't checked lately to see if the price tag has come down yet.

I have directly told two different Canon reps that if it was $99 it would be a no-brainer and most everyone with an XL H1 or XL2 would probably just buy it...but at $599, I think Canon marketing are off their rockers if they think they'd sell more than a handful of copies.

Console is a firewire DV/HDV solution only. It does not support SDI at all. If you're doing DV/HDV, it is a significant enhancement to the PC DV software of the XL2. There are nice features like the scopes and being able to save your live-preview presets to disk with a mouse click. On the other hand, you really need the instructions to install the software so it will actually work with the camera, and "live" preview/capture has about a 1.5 - 2 second delay. Just enough to be really distracting; maybe people who'd use it every day would get used to that but I didn't like that even though I recognize that latency is probably unavoidable.

Nick Hiltgen February 24th, 2006 06:45 AM

I would totally purchase it if I could run it natively on a powerbook(not through an emulator). Or when I can run windows on a macbook. the comperable standalone controller for the sony's (f900) is 3-4k and you could buy the software and a laptop for that much. I just don't want to go out and actively purchase a windows machine just to run one piece of software.

Kevin Wild February 24th, 2006 10:08 AM

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a total sham about the Mac support they say is coming. They said that for the XL2 and we're 15 months into a product and there is still not mac support. This drives me crazy. It still says on the Canon website the SDK for Mac is supposed to be ready by JUNE, 05!!

Really lame and not so sure that they aren't opening themselves up legally for something if they keep announcing support and don't deliver.

KW

Jeffrey Santoro February 24th, 2006 10:19 AM

Mac software

I know Canon is working on a mac version of the software and said it would be out at the end of the year.

Greg Boston February 24th, 2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Yes, I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a total sham about the Mac support they say is coming. They said that for the XL2 and we're 15 months into a product and there is still not mac support. This drives me crazy. It still says on the Canon website the SDK for Mac is supposed to be ready by JUNE, 05!!

Really lame and not so sure that they aren't opening themselves up legally for something if they keep announcing support and don't deliver.

KW

I'm wondering if the impending switch to Intel from Power PC processors might have played a part in the delay. They might end up releasing a version which runs only on Intel based Macs.

-gb-

Sandor Bondorowsky February 24th, 2006 11:24 PM

Console Problems

I bought a copy of the Console software, to go with my 3 XLH1's. There is only 1 flaw, and it's a huge one! Actually 2.

First, the timecode from the camera is not recorded to the m2t files! That's a huge one for me, all my work is multicamera, and that was one of, if not the, biggest selling points of the H1. This has to be resolved, or i may go back to my, much cheaper, Z1's.

The second problem, although it's not a Canon problem, is not having native import of the files into Final Cut. The work great in AVID, and VEGAS, but not in Final Cut.

Thats all, hopefully and v2 will be out. Anyone know if they are working on these issues?

Thanks.

Sandy

Chris Hurd February 24th, 2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandor Bondorowsky
The second problem, although it's not a Canon problem, is not having native import of the files into Final Cut. The work great in AVID, and VEGAS, but not in Final Cut.

Unfortunately this won't happen unless there's ever a Mac version of the Console software. It's definitely needed!

Sandor Bondorowsky February 27th, 2006 11:29 PM

Console Problems

THIS IS THE FIRST REPLY I GOT FROM CANON:

Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your XLH1 Console software. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered with this problem.

If you wish to edit using the time code, make sure to record simultaneously on a tape. The time code information will only be written to the hard disk when recording on a tape. The time code will not be written in the cache recording part.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns with your software.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Patrick,
Technical Support Representative

AND THIS IS THE SECOND:

Thank you for your inquiry on the CONSOLE Image Control & Storage Software for your XLH1. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Canon USA has made no announcements regarding the release of an update for this software. Your comments have been noted and will be passed along to the appropriate party for review. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your XLH1.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Chris
Technical Support Representative

----

not a whole lot of usefull info!

Bob Fierce February 28th, 2006 02:12 PM

Sandor-
Are you using any of your H1's in a studio configuration? If so, could you describe the set up, such as which studio viewfinders, zoom controls, camera cable, etc. Thanks

Floris van Eck February 2nd, 2008 04:21 PM

I have been using the Canon Console software for the last week or so and what really annoys me is the fact that it records a MPEG2TS stream. I cannot import these files into Final Cut Pro. Why can't I choose if I record on my harddisk to MPEG2TS or Quicktime MOV files? Now I have to convert all files to a supported format before I can edit them.

I plan to spare my videoheads this way as I am often shooting at locations where it is no problem to setup with my laptop. It also enables me to have a bigger focus screen with proper brightness (XL-H1 LCD is way to dark). When you correctly expose my LCD is often almost black.

I hope they will release a MAC/V2 version soon with MOV support.