DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 Presets (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/61901-xl-h1-presets.html)

Sandor Bondorowsky March 2nd, 2006 05:02 AM

XL H1 Presets

Does anyone have any Presets they'd like to share? For any particular looks, etc? I'll be posting some as i hone them in.

Sandy

John Benton March 2nd, 2006 08:46 AM

Great question,
I was going to post this question myself...
Last night I got some noisy interior shots - given it was weirdly lit - I was testing the settings and range.

Gain was on negative 3 or A (which looked between 3 & 6db)

This is what I have been able to decipher so far (the manual is not very helpfull)

--Master Ped is the point where things go to black - So to Crushe the balcks you go lower, yes?
--Coring :+3
--Black Strech effects the midtones where as Press squashes the white to black
-- Noise reduction 1 was great on Full but you cant have movement without ghosting
--Cine 1 & 2 I cant figure out
--Sharpnesss/detail I turned down to releive noise
and the Color you can really tweak a lot

Although I remember someones post where they say they shoot with everything @ 0 and tweak in post...

(also the 24f capture into DVHSCap & using the MPEG Streamclip utility to convert the file to a DVCProHD 23.976 file to edit easily in FCP, while it works, looks not so great.
I hope better results from Cinema tools to get Captured 1080 > 24p)

More comments here would be helpful,

thanks

Nick Hiltgen March 2nd, 2006 09:34 PM

John my guess is that if the shots were really noisy, the gain was at A not -3. usually with this camera the A setting on lowlight interiors is too high. So instead of creating a 3 or 6 my guess is that the gain was really closer to a 12 or 18 which would add noise.

There are two settings that have cine 1 and cine 2 the matrix and the gamma. The cine matrix is a color shift, to a more satchange theurated or less saturated look. The Cine 1 and Cine 2 Gamma selection will

John Benton March 2nd, 2006 09:47 PM

will...?
Thanks Nick. I'll do more tests tonight- but it wasn't the normal Gain noise - It was across a dither from light to shadow that I got bands of gradation - like when you compress an image as a Giff, and it can't handle a smooth transition.
Problem is I was playing with all the settings simultaniously, silly me

J

James Burkhardt March 3rd, 2006 02:12 PM

Presets

Sometime ago Mr. Rawls said he was going to post some cool presets. I have been waiting patiently.

John Benton March 3rd, 2006 03:20 PM

James,
I remember that - back in the day when Shannon used to come around...
He don't come round no more, Snif,
Alas...

I just did some tests - recording while I managed the presets,
Very Usedful !
I just discovered Coring, set to the Negative removes the Blocks of Noise for a finer Grain,
which I like !
This coupled with Noise Reduction2 (working on skin tones primarily) which is kind of like the Smart Blur effect in Photoshop
Managing these with the Sharpness has helped me a lot

Brilliant Camera !!!

J

John Benton March 3rd, 2006 09:37 PM

Alright,
I love this Camera - though I have yet to really use 24f mode -
here are some great settings I have done some tests with in 1080 60i:

- I like the detail/sharpness turned up, but not too much, around 3 or so, depending on the light and other settings.
- I love the coring turned to -4 or so, because that makes what little grain there might be into tiny grain and therefor unnoticable in motion, even in stills. More like film grain.
- I like the noise reduction 2 (on skin tone that you can alter in the settings)
on low, or medium (too much and it is like the smart blur in photoshop - can be really nice). But a little is unnoticable except smooths some things out. Sweet.

BEAUTIFUL

- I don't need to alter the colors too much on the fly - I can use the white balance button and the dial the change the basic tone of everything in Kalvin.

THIS IS INSANE - I will be posting footage soon.

I cannot wait to try the HD-SDI uncompressed into a G5 (with a Kona and 2x500gig RAID)

Nick Hiltgen March 3rd, 2006 10:14 PM

will...

HA Yeah, didnt' know if that acctually got written down or not was going to edit it but then got called away to do some "real work" anyhow I think what I was trying to say was...

There are two settings that have cine 1 and cine 2 the matrix and the gamma. The cine matrix is a color shift, to a more saturated or less saturated look. The Cine 1 and Cine 2 Gamma selection will change the amount of fall off between light and dark, it's sort of like a latitude controller, I haven't had a chance yet to really sit down and figure out what gives the best results though.

thanks for the info about coring I really had no idea what that did. Keep playing you can get some super nice looks out of the camera.

John Benton March 4th, 2006 10:13 AM

Ahh,
I was trying to figure the Cina 1& 2's out...Thanks Nick !

Also: I have tried some 24f tests - and I don't know if I am doing it quite right, but the adjusting the settings differently in this mode was very useful, as there is less res.
So I took the coring down more, the sharpness up a but and the ND2 I set to middle - that seemed to help a lot with the noise in the lower res.
Or something like that, but definitely different settings for different modes is in order.

J

Shane Goodman February 24th, 2007 10:59 AM

So it seems that when I run through the spectrum of sharpness (-9 to +9) there is very little change in the EVF, is this because of the viewfinder or are they really very small increments?

And also, could coring be explained a little more? I know the basic idea, but how do you guys use it and what for? I find bringing coring into deep negatives (-8 or -9) makes a sharper image, but have not looked at that on a monitor yet to look for noise.

Chris Hurd February 24th, 2007 11:10 AM

Primarily because of the EVF. You need a good HD monitor to really see the changes.

Coring has been discussed here numerous times before... just do a search to turn up those discussions.