DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   SDI uncompressed Recorder + monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/62589-sdi-uncompressed-recorder-monitor.html)

Ron Pfister March 24th, 2006 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levan Bakhia
Did the first file play ok ?

Yes, it played fine for me, and the quality was excellent! (G5 Quad w/ GF 7800 GT) It should play fine on any beefy Windoze workstation with QT 7.x installed...

Levan Bakhia March 24th, 2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pfister
Yes, it played fine for me, and the quality was excellent! (G5 Quad w/ GF 7800 GT) It should play fine on any beefy Windoze workstation with QT 7.x installed...

:*) Great but, what about non-MAC users, did anyone play it?

John Benton March 24th, 2006 08:47 AM

Levan,
Great work !
the kidgas.mov was the only file I was able to get from Rapidshare - but it played fine on my Mac .
It is beautiful - I see the work of the Mini 35 !
Very nicely done !
There are still a few blocky compression artifacts (like even in the sky with the ttail of the plane in it) but these are coming from the NLE, I assume when it makes a .mov file.
Again, great to see!
Thank you for posting these !
J

Ron Pfister March 24th, 2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

:*) Great but, what about non-MAC users, did anyone play it?

I just upgraded my Windoze box (a Dell Dimension 2400 w/ 2.4 GHz Celeron and some measly Intel shared-memory GPU) to QT 7.0.4. The kidgas.mov played (albeit choppily, but I can't expect more from this box), and neither QT nor WM Player knew what to do with the .avi-file.

Levan: What lens do you use with the mini-35?

Cheers,

Ron

Levan Bakhia March 24th, 2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton
Levan,
Great work !
the kidgas.mov was the only file I was able to get from Rapidshare - but it played fine on my Mac .
It is beautiful - I see the work of the Mini 35 !
Very nicely done !
There are still a few blocky compression artifacts (like even in the sky with the ttail of the plane in it) but these are coming from the NLE, I assume when it makes a .mov file.
Again, great to see!
Thank you for posting these !
J

So, yes, I forgot to mention that they didn't let me take my G5 with Raid in the airport, so only this shot is not uncompressed, it is HDV recorded on tape. :*)

Ron - I use canon K35 lenses

Ron Pfister March 24th, 2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton

I have a question regarding image quality in the kidgas.mov: particularly through the first two cuts (wooden door, green carpet, bird in cage), the image looks almost surreal with a somewhat posterized quality. This is particularly noticable when viewing stills. Is this present in the master as well, or is it due to the MPEG-4 AVC encoding?

NB: I'm not at all saying that I don't like the way these scenes look - I'm just curious whether what I noticed was intended or not.

TIA,

Ron

Levan Bakhia March 25th, 2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

I have a question regarding image quality in the kidgas.mov: particularly through the first two cuts (wooden door, green carpet, bird in cage), the image looks almost surreal with a somewhat posterized quality. This is particularly noticable when viewing stills. Is this present in the master as well, or is it due to the MPEG-4 AVC encoding?

NB: I'm not at all saying that I don't like the way these scenes look - I'm just curious whether what I noticed was intended or not.

TIA,

Ron

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by MPEG-4 AVC encoding. What I can say is that stills are from original source, uncompressed. Well, everybody that sees the door (the first cut) says that it is 3D generated and it is not the real one. But it is a real shot.

And What is posterized quality?

Ron Pfister March 25th, 2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean by MPEG-4 AVC encoding.

That's another term for H.264 - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
Quote:

Well, everybody that sees the door (the first cut) says that it is 3D generated and it is not the real one. But it is a real shot.
Amazing! Did you grade it or otherwise manipulate it in post, or is it close to how you shot it? If I look at the uncompressed still of the door (uncompressed 10.tga), it still has this look. Is this grab from the raw uncompressed footage or did you grab it after grading/editing?
Quote:

And What is posterized quality?
See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterization

Cheers,

Ron

Levan Bakhia March 25th, 2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Amazing! Did you grade it or otherwise manipulate it in post, or is it close to how you shot it? If I look at the uncompressed still of the door (uncompressed 10.tga), it still has this look. Is this grab from the raw uncompressed footage or did you grab it after grading/editing?

Ron

No, the frame grabs are from the original uncompressed .mov files, before any grading at all. The clip is graded, unfortunatelly, when converted to h.264 you don't see the actuall colors, but trust me it is beutifull, and you have a lot of room for color grading. I do it in final touch HD.

Thanks for explanaitions. :*)