DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 does it shoot 24p like the XL2??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/67616-xl-h1-does-shoot-24p-like-xl2.html)

Angel Mario May 17th, 2006 10:37 PM

XL H1 does it shoot 24p like the XL2???

Ive notice that it says 24f, of course its stands for frames, but does that mean it actually shoots progresive 24 or just a simulation? please i want to decide between the Panasonic DVX 200 and this camera. and that will make the hole diference. anyone knows????? or is it just better to go with the panasonic wich does shoot 24p????

Christopher Glaeser May 17th, 2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel Mario
does that mean it actually shoots progresive 24 or just a simulation?

This topic has been discussed at great length and depth on this forum. Skim through the archived threads and you will find good information.

Best,
Christopher

A. J. deLange May 18th, 2006 05:57 AM

Few of the details are known. What is known is that the chips are clocked at 48/sec thus it is definitely not true 24p. But why do you care about what it actually is or isn't or how it is implemented? What you should care about is how the images from the cameras you are considering compare when recording the types of scenes you intend to record. Most who have examined the images seem to agree that the 48fps images are put together with out any loss except the reduction in vertical resolution to 720. So you won't get the equivalent of 1080p out of the H1 but most feel (if I'm remembering the postings right) that the H1's 720f is as good as true 720p. But you must decide for yourself.

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2006 09:17 AM

Well said, A.J. -- we should put your response in a FAQ.

Daniel Epstein May 18th, 2006 10:04 AM

Only problem with AJ's post is the camera does not put out a 720 signal at 24F. It puts out a 1080 signal at 24F and 30F.

Steven Dempsey May 18th, 2006 10:35 AM

I have done testing of both 60i and 24f on this camera and on my 21" HD LCD and my 42" HD plasma, the resolution looks identical. I deliberately shot scenes with lots of distant detail. 1080 to 720 seems to be a dramatic drop in resolution, A.J., and you may be right because I'm no engineer but I can tell you with my own discerning eye, there is little or no difference.

James Lundy May 18th, 2006 11:04 AM

The XL-H1 doesn't drop from 1080 to 720 in 24f, but I think A.J was trying to make a point that everyone could understand. It does loose some vertical resolution in 24f, when compared to 60i, but the image is still exceptional.

Personally I'd go for the Canon, as it has more to offer me and I'm not that wild over the idea of P2 as it is at the moment.

Angel Mario May 18th, 2006 01:16 PM

Yes, but does it look like film?

I ve been working for music videos and comercials with the xl2 24p. and the results, look amazing and to the untrained eye, it looks like film. is it the same with the 24f or not? i guess that was my question.

Martin Costa May 18th, 2006 02:20 PM

Angel, your best bet is to hire a XLH1, do the test yourself, and see what you think. Everybody has their own thoughts on 24F, its best if you make your own mind up. ;-)

Angel Mario May 18th, 2006 04:36 PM

Thank you very much guys. Really appreciate your time.