DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for H1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/68012-batteries-h1.html)

Jacques Mersereau May 23rd, 2006 12:19 PM

Batteries for H1?

Okay, the loan is secured and the time is at hand to buy an H1, BUT
I am wondering what to do in the battery department?

Opinions and experiences anyone?

PS: I don't think I can afford an AatonBauer rig right off the bat.

Chris Hurd May 23rd, 2006 12:50 PM

Hi Jacques,

Along with the H1, Canon introduced a couple of new batteries using graphite technology (whatever that is, I haven't researched it yet, I know I should). These batts are the BP-950G and the BP-970G. The H1 comes with one BP-950G. Believe it or not, it'll last for four or five hours. The BP-970G is good for six or seven hours. If you buy two 970G's, then you've got more than a full day of shooting between the 950 and two 970's. I don't understand the graphite thing but these batts are worth their weight in gold. Practically.

Sure you can get any number of a variety of cheap knock-off batts from third-party manufacturers, but I don't like to have a bunch of low endurance batts laying around because I can never tell which ones are charged and which aren't. Bad housekeeping on my part but it's the truth. I'd rather have three or four good ones and leave it at that.

Plus there's the Canon dual battery charger / holder, don't forget about that.

Great to see you at NAB by the way!

Barry Gregg May 23rd, 2006 01:31 PM

Jacques,

Chris is right, the G batteries are amazing. I purchased four 950Gs with my H1 and I have yet to use more than a second battery on an all day shoot. It's really amazing how long they last. I hang my Anton/Bauer battery on the back of the camera for better balance, but I don't use it for power.
Barry

Jacques Mersereau May 23rd, 2006 01:36 PM

Thanks Mr. Hurd. As always, you are very helpful. Yes, I was going
to order at least one BP-970G. Yes, Canon charges a premium, but
then again you know they'll work to factory spec :)

Do you know if the H1 runs at 7.2 volts like the other XL series of camcorder?

One very cool thing about staying with Canon, besides all the Canon lens
I already own, is all the OTHER Canon accessories like the 12v-7.2v
adapter and battery chargers will probablly still work.
That will save me lots of money and makes this upgrade less painful.

Chris Hurd May 23rd, 2006 01:42 PM

Hi Jacques,

The BP-950G supplies 7.4 volts, and the XL H1 draw is 7.8 watts (recording with autofocus, HD 20x L IS Lens mounted, in HD mode). I found that out by checking the nifty new 18-page brochure linked in the "sticky" post at the top of this forum, be sure to check it out!

But the answer is yes, all of your other XL bits and pieces are compatible with the H1. Although older batts will not last as long because the power draw is higher on the H1 (the XL2 draws 7.1 watts). Chargers, etc. will all work with this camera and battery.

In my opinion, the BP-970G is well worth the money Canon is charging for it.

Robert Sanders May 23rd, 2006 03:42 PM

BP-970G all the way. I bought two of them. Between the two it was rare that I had to use the second one. On a couple of occassions I had to switch out batteries. But that's also because I had a good AC on set who powered down inbetween setups.

I used the BP-950G that came with the camera to power the Nebtek 7" LCD monitor.

Chris Hurd May 23rd, 2006 03:44 PM

Robert, do you have an idea of how long the 950G will last on your Nebtek monitor? I'm thinking it has to be somewhere in the range of "all day long."

Robert Sanders May 23rd, 2006 03:46 PM

That's pretty accurate, Chris. I have no memory of ever changing the battery on the Nebtek during a full shoot day.

Robert Sanders May 23rd, 2006 03:47 PM

Also, I decided against the dual battery charger. When I found out that it only charged one battery at a time, I decided to save the cash and just buy an additional single battery charger. Between the one that came with the camera and the 2nd one, I'm set.

Chris Hurd May 23rd, 2006 03:53 PM

I've never been a fan of the dual battery charger, but I felt I had to point out its existence at least. My issue with the CH-910 is that it's plastic, of course, and to me it seemed as though the batts were always a little wobbly, like if you swung the camera around too fast or nudged something, they'd come flying off. There are only a couple of plastic tans holding the batts in place. Most folks I know that use the CH-910 have a big 'ol rubber band around the whole thing to help secure the batts.

Robert Sanders May 23rd, 2006 03:58 PM

LOL! Yeah, I've seen the same rubber band trick too! And I agree about the plastic tans.

I don't know what kind of special plastic Nebtek is using for their Canon battery adapter (which sits on the back pane of the monitor), but those darn tabs hold that battery so tightly and snug that I feel like I'm practically going to break them trying to remove the battery.

Ken Diewert May 23rd, 2006 10:10 PM

Chris,

I'll have to remember the rubber band...

Jacques, the dealer should throw something in on the deal. Mine threw in two of the 970's. So I bought the 910 dual charger. Mostly because it mounts on the back the throw some weight aft to better balance the camera when shoulder mounted. I find it makes a big difference in stability. I was out hiking today and didn't want to pack my tripod and was really surprised how steady she held with the extra weight.

BTW, These batteries (both the 950 and 970) are serious die-hards.

Ken.

Charles Perkins June 1st, 2006 10:56 AM

does anyone have an idea of how these hold up in the cold, say around -10 to -20 degrees centigrade?

the reason i ask is becuase thats the main temperature range for what i shoot.

Robert Sanders June 1st, 2006 11:00 AM

And I thought shooting at night in the San Bernardino Nation Forest at 29 degrees fahrenheit was cold!

Ken Diewert June 1st, 2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Perkins
does anyone have an idea of how these hold up in the cold, say around -10 to -20 degrees centigrade?

the reason i ask is becuase thats the main temperature range for what i shoot.

Charles,

Never mind the batts, how does the camera handle it? Do you have an insulated cover? If so it could also fit over the 910 Charger/Holder.

Bruce S. Yarock June 1st, 2006 09:28 PM

Chris,
I assume you can use those new batteries with the xl2 also, right? How much time could I get out of one with my fu 1000 viewfinder. I get less than 2 hours out of the previous big xl2 battery.
Bruce S. Yarock

Chris Hurd June 1st, 2006 10:18 PM

Hi Bruce, yes you sure can use the new 950G and 970G on the XL2. Endurance should be even better since the XL2 power draw is lower than the XL H1. I don't know how much time you can get with the monochrome CRT EVF (maybe you can measure it for us and report back). Should be well over three hours easily.

Charles Perkins June 2nd, 2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Charles,

Never mind the batts, how does the camera handle it? Do you have an insulated cover? If so it could also fit over the 910 Charger/Holder.

both the fx1 and the h1 we used on an event handled it very well. the camera didn't seem to notic ethe cold at all.

i didn't have a cover.

Alex Dolgin June 5th, 2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Also, I decided against the dual battery charger. When I found out that it only charged one battery at a time, I decided to save the cash and just buy an additional single battery charger. Between the one that came with the camera and the 2nd one, I'm set.

FYI, our new 4 plate charger would charge all of them at the same time in about 4 hours.

Ed Moore June 6th, 2006 09:09 AM

I have the IDX battery adaptor which fits on the accessory plate on the back of the H1. We already had an IDX set from a DSR-390 we used to own so it made sense. The IDXs are 14.4V so I presume the adaptor either knocks this down to the same voltage as the "proper" batteries or the H1 just doesn't mind. In any case, the IDX batteries are, well, phenomenal. I've had the camera now for about five days, shot on it every day for some time, and haven't changed it yet :)

Having said that the IDX kit (charger + two batteries) was about £1500 in the first place, and the adaptor's another £150 so I'm sure it is far more economical to get the Canon batteries. Just wanted to point out the option for anyone reading this post who already uses IDX batteries.

Johan Forssblad June 7th, 2006 01:02 AM

Hello Ed,
This is discussed in another thread already but there is also the advantage with a 12-14.4 V battery: you could get power to an onboard light and/or wireless receiver. The Canon battery has a tremendous amount of power for its size and weight but I lack a 12 V output. So I would go the Anton Bauer mount or V-mount way too. This also gives the set a better balance. Thinking about to put the Anton Bauer Titan 70 charger/power supply between the adapter and the battery for even better balance. I also would like to get a Zylight LED light to put on the accessory shoe. Anyone out here who have tried it?

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 7th, 2006 12:57 PM

Be sure to buy the extra batt charger. I was on an indie feature recently and although we had two batts we were often running off the batt charger as a power source -- and to those of yuou who don't know - IT CAN'T CHARGE AND PROVIDE POWER SIMULTANEOUSLY.

So it's all a bit nerve racking if you can't have one battery at least permanently on a charger.

Best

Harry.