DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Pure 24P....Yeah baby! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/68796-pure-24p-yeah-baby.html)

Steven Dempsey June 3rd, 2006 02:01 PM

Pure 24P....Yeah baby!

So Cineform fixed some kind of glitch they were having with rendering out to WMV where there were interlacing issues like we have seen previously.

I rendered this file out to 24P WMV and the field doubling problems have gone.

Check it out, it looks pretty good. It's also a fraction of the size of the original m2t I posted earlier of the same thing.

The overall quality has diminished somewhat but in an interesting way. It definitely has taken on a very filmic look with some of the detail smoothed out and more grain than the original has been introduced but it feels very celluloid to me.

This is rendered at the maximum bit rate of 10mbits in Premiere which seems quite low. I would like to able to render it out higher at, say 25mbits, but I don't seem to have that option.

http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/journey1.wmv

209mb

David Miles June 3rd, 2006 02:45 PM

Great stuff!

Steven, Great shots, I really enjoyed it. Sure took awhile to download, but thankfully worth the wait.

Dave

Pete Tomov June 3rd, 2006 03:30 PM

Great shots!
Is that noise caused by your coring setting ?

Steven Dempsey June 3rd, 2006 03:38 PM

Thanks! The noise is almost undetectable in the original. Because this was encoded at 10mbps, it seems to have dramatically increased the noise. I'm currently experimenting with a higher bit rate. Stay tuned.

Riley Harmon June 6th, 2006 01:05 AM

so you rendered the 24p through windows media encoder? wish we could figure out the process wme goes through to get that, so we could replicate without the compression because frankly that is some beautiful 24p. if you didn't use wme to get the 24p, please explain how you did. love the tilt up with water shot.

please do explain the process you used from edit to output and the 24p along the way

Antoine Fabi June 24th, 2006 12:48 PM

These images are beautifull !

Bravo !

Dee Joslin June 25th, 2006 09:06 AM

Nicely done. Great visuals.

Ben Gurvich June 25th, 2006 07:50 PM

Great Stuff!

HD-SDI?
any 35mm adaptors?

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich

Steven Dempsey June 26th, 2006 01:15 AM

Thanks guys. No 35mm adapter, just straight to HDV tape

Peter J Alessandria August 10th, 2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riley Harmon
so you rendered the 24p through windows media encoder? wish we could figure out the process wme goes through to get that, so we could replicate without the compression because frankly that is some beautiful 24p. if you didn't use wme to get the 24p, please explain how you did. love the tilt up with water shot.

please do explain the process you used from edit to output and the 24p along the way

I don't think he used WME to get to his .wmv. I think he used Preimere Pro's .wmv template after first converting 24F to 24p using the Cineform encoder in Preimere. Is that right Steve?
What kind of computing power are you using to encode/edit and what are your render times?

Steven Dempsey August 10th, 2006 11:30 AM

Yes, that's right...

I have a dual processor 3.4ghz computer. I haven't calculated the crunch times because I usually set it to render and either sleep or go do other things :)

Peter J Alessandria August 10th, 2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
Yes, that's right...

I have a dual processor 3.4ghz computer. I haven't calculated the crunch times because I usually set it to render and either sleep or go do other things :)

I've got an Athlon X2 dual core 3800 set up with 2GB RAM and a couple of 300GB SATA drives. I built the system at the end of last year and was thrilled when I was finally able to encode my 24p footage from my DVX to .mpeg2 video for DVD's faster than real time (2X actually). I use Vegas 5 to edit and a 10 min 24p clip takes about 5 mins to render/encode to .mpeg2 (usually just one layer of video with some color correction and dissolves - nothing fancy.) My fear with HDV is back to the old days of waiting forever for encoding and rendering even on a relatively fast system. So much for progress! :-)

Josh Dahlberg August 21st, 2006 01:52 AM

Wow steven, I think that sealed the deal for me, it's time to retire my XL2.

Beautiful shots.

Bob Zimmerman August 21st, 2006 07:28 AM

it doesn't seem to load.

Michael Ojjeh August 21st, 2006 04:02 PM

Steven, Beautifull images !!

Now tell me again how you process the images from the start ??

you down load the files as m2t, then you rendered the files from 24f to 24p WMV through Cineform that comes with premiere ( I have Vegas which have the same thing) then after editing, you render the final project back to m2t file out to tape ??

I am new in the HD world and trying to see what are the steps to capture, edit and deliver in HD.