DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   H1 and Dell 24 LCD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/73717-h1-dell-24-lcd.html)

Chuck Wall August 16th, 2006 12:38 PM

H1 and Dell 24 LCD

Hi All,

I bought a Dell 24" monitor after reading some of the recommendations in the forums. I planned to use my H1's component outputs to drive the display.
After staring at this monitor and trying everything I find that it is too green in
the low light areas. Being that you can only adjust green gain (drive) and have no way to adjust (bias from the crt days).

Here is my methodology

My reference is a Pioneer plasma display and it is feed from a digital
cable box via hdmi.

The hd channels do deliver an amazing picture. The dell is feed from the
component out of the box just as the camera would.

First adjust contrast so white areas are not being blown out.
next adjust brightness so picture edge is just visible in the 16:10 window.

Turn down sat to 0 and adjust rgb for a greyscale image then raise sat back
up.

Cant loose the green low level tint...

I had a Gateway 21 that I was able make nearly perfect but it had a refresh issue that was anoying and the blacks were gray (but not green!)

I have not used the colorbars from the camera, I figure if I can get it
to be trustworthy to begin with next to something I trust but cant take
with me all I will have is a 24 focus monitor.

If anyone sees what I am missing let me know otherwise back it goes!

Thanks

Chuck

Chuck Wall August 21st, 2006 07:41 PM

Well the only adjustment I found that would take out the green tint
was turning down the saturation to 0!

Must be a problem with the analog part of the monitor, the dvi looked good other than being too bright. The contrast control is not available with dvi.

I may order another one later to see if they resolve the issue.

Too bad it would make a fair priced monitor for hd location work.

Chuck

Floris van Eck November 16th, 2006 04:25 AM

I also thought the image was looking a tad too green. I haven't looked into it but is there no way to create a color profile for the monitor in Windows/Adobe? Anyway, as a field monitor, this is not possible of course....

Barry Green November 16th, 2006 07:36 AM

The analog ins on this monitor are not in any way up to the task of handling component HD footage. It looks terrible as a live monitor feed.

Use the Dell as what it is -- a great computer monitor. It is not an HD video monitor. To see how bad it is, record some footage into your computer, then split-screen the Dell; put a frame of computer-captured footage on the right, and the same frame from the live footage on the left through the component inputs. The difference is startling, and you'll never use the Dell as a live component monitor again.

Doug Bennett November 16th, 2006 03:30 PM

are there any budget lcds that do the job of a good HDV preview monitor?

Robert Sanders November 17th, 2006 04:46 PM

What about using a Blackmagic HDLink converter?

Wolfgang Neun November 29th, 2006 06:42 AM

I've tried the following setup: XL H1 HD-SDI out --- BMD HDLink --- Dell 24" DVI in and I think the pictures are absolutely stunning. BUT these are the first and only 1920x1080 pictures that I've ever seen so I can't compare. So far I've made no adjustments to the monitor (just took it out of the box) and can't notice any green or other tint with this setup. There is even a LUT available for this monitor (from BMD I believe) but I can't find it right now.

Jonathan Plotkin November 29th, 2006 07:50 AM

Incidentally, BMD just dropped prices on many of their products, including the HDLink. The new prices aren't even up on the BMD website as of today, but some dealers are aware of the change. The HDLink is now listed as $445. retail.

Robert Sanders November 29th, 2006 04:36 PM

I'm current using XLH1 >> BM HDLINK >> 23" Cinema Display and couldn't be happier. But the Dell 24" dispalys are significantly cheaper and an 1" wider.

Wolfgang Neun November 30th, 2006 08:56 AM

For anyone interested this is the link to the lookup table I mentioned earlier:
http://www.rexpost.com/sdimonitor.txt
It's not made by BMD as I've stated but by a guy named Borjis to match his Sony BVM-20F1U CRT monitor. I have not tried it yet.

Doug Bennett December 1st, 2006 11:49 AM

Has anyone tried the HP 2335 with the set-up suggested by Adam Wilt?

Robert Sanders December 4th, 2006 04:15 PM

What do you guys think of the Marshall 23" V-R231P-AFHD

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr231pafhd.html

Floris van Eck May 30th, 2007 03:23 PM

This is true. The Dell is an amazing monitor when used on VGA or DVI. But when you connect using the component cable, all colors are messed up. So no, the Dell 24" is definitely not suited for monitoring. I can tell because I have two of them connected to my computer and they are amazing for the money.

I bought them for 780 and 650 EURO. Well worth the money.

Daniel Patton June 2nd, 2007 11:51 PM

I also was bit by the DELL 24" a little over a month ago. I intended to use it for focus only during a shoot with the H1 and made the mistake of trusting it for color that day as well, I'll never make that mistake a second time. Great monitor, just not for camera/color work.

If I could have kept the JVC 24" we tested I would have been set, but at $4500... Ouch. Other than price, no regrets with that puppy.

Robert, the "XLH1 >> BM HDLINK >> 23" Cinema Display" has been in my thoughts a fair amount, I would like to see first hand how that compares.

Peace!

Steven Thomas January 5th, 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang Neun (Post 581824)
For anyone interested this is the link to the lookup table I mentioned earlier:
http://www.rexpost.com/sdimonitor.txt
It's not made by BMD as I've stated but by a guy named Borjis to match his Sony BVM-20F1U CRT monitor. I have not tried it yet.

Can someone attach this file? I can not find it. If not, maybe someone has these settings for the HDLINK hooked to the Dell 2405?