DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Yellowstone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/76027-yellowstone.html)

Steven Dempsey September 22nd, 2006 09:57 AM

Yellowstone

I'm in the midst of putting a DVD together of the best of my nature films that I hope will be available for sale in November. This is a sample of one of the pieces that will be included. Shot with the XLH1, I'm hoping to extend this to about a 10 minute doc with narrative. Linda (my wife) went to Yellowstone many times as a kid and we've got some great slides from the 60's.

So this teaser is just a typical Disjecta non-narrative piece in the meantime.

Most of ths was shot using the stock lens but I did use the 1.6x extender for a couple of shots.

Relatively low res WMV at 10mbs but will still give a good idea of the original:
http://media.dvinfo.net/xlh1/disject...e_opening1.wmv

Adam Letch October 3rd, 2006 03:29 AM

Thanks Steven for Yellowstone

surprised no-one has pipped in yet, but as always beautiful work. Are you still using the stock lens?

Michael Wisniewski October 3rd, 2006 09:41 AM

I missed this when it first got posted. Beautiful work Steven! Stunning images. Can't wait to see the DVD.

Cody Lucido October 3rd, 2006 09:53 AM

Very beautiful footage. The ten second fades got a bit old, though.

If anybody out there is still thinking about buying a DV camera, watching this well done footage will change your mind!

DV is dead, long live HD(V)!

PS. I'm just kidding around about DV being dead... or am I?

Mark Williams October 3rd, 2006 10:04 AM

Steven,

Excellent. Each scene is like a well composed photograph. I really enjoy your work and have learned a lot viewing the various projects on your website.

Regards,

Michael Wisniewski October 3rd, 2006 04:16 PM

Steven, curious what method you used to get 2:35:1?

Steven Dempsey October 3rd, 2006 05:00 PM

Thank you everyone.

Cody, I hear you on the long dissolves....not a finished the edit yet.

Michael, I used the 2:35:1 guides in the viewfinder while shooting and then nested the completed edit in a new timeline in Premiere and applied a mask using the crop tool set to 12.5% on top and bottom.

Didi Schoeman October 19th, 2006 05:34 AM

Wow, that gave me goose-bumps!!! Took ages to download, but worth every minute!!!

Was that filmed on 24P Steven???

Tony Davies-Patrick October 19th, 2006 06:33 AM

Superb camera work Steven. I actually liked the slow fades and think it adds power to the changing clips, although it probably could do without it in every clip.

The finished DVD with a good narrative should be well worth buying.

One thing that I miss in the footage is the natural background sounds...I hope that the DVD will include the natural sounds of nature to match the clips as blocking out sound and overdubbing only with music tends to lose some of the atmosphere.

Mark Williams October 19th, 2006 06:41 AM

I'll second the background sounds. They would add another dimension to the dvd.

Regards,

Steven Dempsey October 19th, 2006 08:49 AM

Thanks for the comments. Yes, this was all shot at 24fps, I shoot exclusively that way.

Unfortunately, I did not go to Yellowstone equipped with sound recording gear and the on board mic, while adequate, doesn't quite cut it for me. Although, I am friends with a nature sound recordist so when I am ready to take this edit to the next level, I'll be working with him to enhance the soundtrack.

This particular piece will not make it onto my DVD. I am going to hold off for HD DVD or Bluray to grab hold and then release an HD disk based on what I have shot with the XLH1. The disk I am working on right now will be mostly what I've done with my DVX. There will be a mixture of films with and without ambient sound.

Thanks for looking.

Mack Fisher October 19th, 2006 09:23 AM

Beautiful footage. I always check your site for updates! Im excited that you moved to HD.

Floris van Eck October 29th, 2006 04:37 AM

For me, all footage links are not working at this moment. I get a file cannot be found on this server error message. It worked for me last week. Is there a problem with the media.dvinfo.net server?

Steven Dempsey October 29th, 2006 09:53 AM

I had to remove the file for the moment, sorry.

Lorry Smyth November 5th, 2006 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey
I had to remove the file for the moment, sorry.

Steven will you get the footage up again? I didn't have the opportunity of seeing it before you had to take it offline.