DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New guy looking for info (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/82264-new-guy-looking-info.html)

Neil Anderson December 21st, 2006 01:47 PM

New guy looking for info

I'm about to buy an xl-h1 but I have questions that maybe some of you guys can answer; how inportant is the image stabilization lens? I found a place that sells the xl-h1 without that lens and makes the camera much more afordable to me.
And I think ive read somwhere that the xl-h1 isn't able to work with final cut pro.How can you get it to work? Thanks guys!

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2006 01:56 PM

Hi Neil,

The stock 20x image-stabilised lens normally included with the XL H1 is the *least expensive* HD lens available for that camera. Plus, if you buy the camera without a lens, how are you going to be able to shoot with it? There isn't much you can do with a camera body that doesn't have a lens.

The most recent version of Final Cut Pro is fully compatible with the XL H1 and other Canon HDV camcorders. Hope this helps,

Will Griffith December 21st, 2006 03:37 PM

The 1299.95 16x Manual is not a bad choice either,
although it is not a "real" HD lens according to Canon.

-will

Marty Hudzik December 21st, 2006 03:40 PM

Chris is pretty much dead on. Buying the16x manual lens that works pretty darn well with the H1 despite it technically not being rated for HD is the only other realistic option if you are trying to save money. I have never seen the XL-H1 body only kit or the HD 20x lens only to have a gauge as to their individual prices. How much can you get the H1 body for by itself?

Marty Hudzik December 21st, 2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Griffith
The 1299.95 16x Manual is not a bad choice either,
although it is not a "real" HD lens according to Canon.

-will

The 16x manual lens can usually be found used for under $900 and sometimes as low as $700-$750. Anybody know what the 20x HD lens is priced out by itself?

Will Griffith December 21st, 2006 03:52 PM

Zotz Digital sells both.

Neil Anderson December 21st, 2006 04:53 PM

Sorry I made it sound as if they are selling it without any lens.It is the non-image stabilized lens that it comes with and I would like to know if its somthing that is nessesary with this camera. I plan on getting a stedi-cam to go with the xl-h1 so would the image stabilizer just be redundent?

Neil Anderson December 21st, 2006 04:54 PM

here is the url for the site that is selling the camra [Moderator note: non-sponsor link removed].

Mike Teutsch December 21st, 2006 05:05 PM

Please please do not try to buy from these sites. I can almost assure you that this is a ripoff.

See this forums sponsers, B&H etc......

Mike

Neil Anderson December 21st, 2006 06:08 PM

What Are Some Things I Should Be Aware Of When Buying From A Site Like This.because They Have A Teliphone Nuber On The Site, Contact Info And A Posted Returns Policy.what Kind Of Rip-off Do You Think This Is?

Mike Teutsch December 21st, 2006 06:13 PM

Incomplete units, grey market cameras with no warranties, very high shipping rates, credit card fraud, no camera shipped--------It goes on and on.

If it sounds to good to be true----------!

Mike

Neil Anderson December 21st, 2006 06:26 PM

YEAH AFTER READING YOUR WARNING I LOOKED INTO THEM AND READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM [Moderator note: nonsponsor reference removed] THANKS MIKE!

Mike Teutsch December 21st, 2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Anderson
YEAH AFTER READING YOUR WARNING I LOOKED INTO THEM AND READ WHAT OTHERS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CCI_Camera_City THANKS MIKE!

Last time I checked, B&H had a used one in stock for about $7,500. About as good as you can do.

Mike

Pete Bauer December 21st, 2006 06:40 PM

Just a friendly reminder that in addition to all the good, practical reasons mentioned already to be cautious about where to shop online, that sponsorship by handpicked companies makes DVinfo possible. So as stated in the policy page, we in turn limit our referrals and discussion of "where to buy" to those sponsors.

Marty Hudzik December 21st, 2006 09:17 PM

As an indirect plug for a fellow DVinfo member, I think Steven Dempsey is selling his H1 at a very good rate. I know of one other person who was looking to sell theirs but I do not want to post without talking to them first. If you are interested shoot me an email....I could put you in contact with them. They are both very reputable people on these boards.

Peace!