DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Mixing XL-2 footage and H1 footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/82575-mixing-xl-2-footage-h1-footage.html)

David Bertinelli December 27th, 2006 11:39 AM

Mixing XL-2 footage and H1 footage

I just got the H1 (with the 6X lens!) and I'll be doing some projects with footage from a XL-2 and wondering how different the footage will look.

We'll shoot both cameras in 24F.

Is there any advantage to shooting in HD with the H1 then downconverting or should I just shoot in SD?

Cheers,
D

Steve Rosen December 27th, 2006 06:07 PM

David: Test it, but I'm pretty sure you won't have any problem intercutting.

Shortly after I got my H1 last year, I had to intercut some new footage in a history documentary, that I had shot with the XL2 in 24p, to extend it for broadcast. There was no post support for 24f at the time, so I shot 60i.. The new footage looks better than the XL2 footage (I down converted using a Sony 10), but not jarringly so... As a result, I've fallen off the "24p" bandwagon...

Burt Farber December 27th, 2006 07:40 PM

I am curious about downconverting XL-H1 footage. I am shooting a short with an XL2 and an H1 in SD, but I'd like to shoot HD and downconvert to match the XL2. How is this acheived?

Steve Rosen December 28th, 2006 09:54 AM

Burt: You can do it from the camera... check the manual for output menu settings... I use a Sony deck (1080i 0nly), since I don't like to overuse my camera.. the HV10 is a good, although awkward to use, affordable deck and even supports 24f...

Burt Farber December 29th, 2006 08:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve. It's an output issue then? Is is outputted through the cam/deck as SD, or can it be converted within Final Cut? I'm brand new to the world of HDV, so any help is highly appreciated. I'll check the XL-H1 manual as well.

Steve Rosen December 29th, 2006 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=Burt Farber] is outputted through the cam/deck as SD, or can it be converted within Final Cut?

I do it both ways.. I enjoy cutting in HDV because the picture is so nice on my monitor and I then downconvert in the timeline (or use Compressor for DVD) for SD, but you need a $1000+ card (I use DeckLink) to view HDV on an external monitor, so you probably want to start off down-converting to SD from the deck/camera... FCP will do everything you normally do in both cases...

Burt Farber January 18th, 2007 09:21 PM

Steve, I agree with you, I like cutting in HDV in FCP. How would I go about "downconverting" in the timeline? Would that just involve resetting the timeline parameters? I understand using Compressor could convert it to standard def. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to output HDV footage from the XLH1 as SD. The manual is confusing as usual in trying to find a solution. Thanks for the responses.