DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL H1 broadcast quality? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/84068-xl-h1-broadcast-quality.html)

Dan Keaton January 22nd, 2007 10:37 AM

Dear Brian,

Well, that certainly makes sense.

Jim Martin January 22nd, 2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale
I believe that this was when the Canon was HD SDI out and the F900 was recording to HDCAM, which isn't a good format for keying from.

Scott said both were HD SDI out to give an "equal" playing field. He checked resolution(60i,24f), keying, etc. He also recorded out to computer w/cineform, the Wafian recorder, HD cam deck, and a DVCproHD deck. And he also said "I don't like HDV but Canon got it right.

Jim Martin

Brian Drysdale January 22nd, 2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin
Scott said both were HD SDI out to give an "equal" playing field. He checked resolution(60i,24f), keying, etc. He also recorded out to computer w/cineform, the Wafian recorder, HD cam deck, and a DVCproHD deck. And he also said "I don't like HDV but Canon got it right.

Jim Martin

Looking at his article the quote regarding the Cineform is that it "noticeably outperformed tape shot on a far more expensive HD camera".

In CML he says: "HOWEVER, the SDI signal from the F900 is superior when recorded to disk at a high data rate."

Agreed that Canon have done a good job with their HDV, although I wouldn't want to do a difficult greenscreen shot with it. HD SDI is the way to go for that, even on a F900.

Andrew Davies January 30th, 2007 01:55 PM

I've finally had a definitive reply from Canon UK 12 days after I lodged my enquiry. I requested some sample wildlife footage but they do not have any. I asked if I could do a test with the H1 and they could then get some sample footage but this was declined as they have a strict policy that cameras can only be distributed/hired/loaned from their restricted number of outlets in the UK.

I contacted Creative Video Productions who were helpful and sympathetic but they do not have sample footage and cannot let me have a camera to trial. They tried to steer me in the direction of an XDCAM Sony 330K at £10,500 Exc VAT. An adaptor for 35mm lenses is around £200. I doubt if the budget will support this.

Calumet may be able to help and are looking into doing some kind of favourable hire rate.

So, I am still looking for some sample first generation wildlife footage shot with 35mm still lenses in order for the production company I have approached to evaluate its quality. If anyone can help, I would be most grateful.

Andy

Dan Keaton January 30th, 2007 02:13 PM

Dear Andrew,

If you come to the United States, South Carolina or Georgia in particular, I could help you with my XL H1.

Sorry, but I do not want to ship it to Wales at this time.

Andrew Davies January 30th, 2007 04:57 PM

Don't worry, I'm not looking for a camera, just some sample footage!

Dan Keaton January 30th, 2007 05:03 PM

If you were here, then we could go out and take some footage.

You mention that you want to use some Nikon Primes. How are you going to attach these to the XL H1?

Are you looking for very long focal lengths?

Andrew Davies January 31st, 2007 04:08 AM

There is an adaptor that allows you to use 35mm still lenses. I will be shooting wildlife so will need long focal lengths.

Tony Davies-Patrick January 31st, 2007 04:55 AM

I use Nikon lenses, mainly 300mm f2.8 & 600mm ED-IF lenses, but also wide angles and macro etc.
There are a few different companies that make Nikon adapters, but probably the best is Les Bosher (The XL1 adapter fits the XL2 & XL-H1) - he offers superb service and help, and will also make mount adapters for other DV or movie camera systems:

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/XL1.asp

Meryem Ersoz January 31st, 2007 09:14 AM

hi tony: i think the electronics in my EF adapter fritzed. i'm thinking of unloading my Canon gear and switching to Nikkors because my work is buying a RED camera and a set of Nikkors. so i'm interested in the Les Bosher adapter as a possible replacement. does it have much in the way of complicated electronics, can you tell? is it battery operated, like the EF adapter? or....?

Tony Davies-Patrick January 31st, 2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
hi tony: i think the electronics in my EF adapter fritzed. i'm thinking of unloading my Canon gear and switching to Nikkors because my work is buying a RED camera and a set of Nikkors. so i'm interested in the Les Bosher adapter as a possible replacement. does it have much in the way of complicated electronics, can you tell? is it battery operated, like the EF adapter? or....?

No electronics...just simple high quality metal-built adapter, with full manual control of the Nikkors using the beautiful aperture control ring on the lens...lovely smooth control! The Canon body still relays aperture settings to the viewfinder and controls metering.

Just make sure that you buy Nikkor Manual or AF lenses with aperture rings and NOT any of the latest non-aperture "G" range of digital lenses.

Ronan Fournier February 1st, 2007 12:13 PM

Is this footage usefull ?

Hi Andrews,

Here is a short edit of three french wildlife clips I've made for you, hoping it's what you are looking for.

It's shot with my XLH1, the EF adapter and the Canon 100-400L 35mm lens, downconverted in PAL SD.

You can download it there (QuickTime movie 35MB):
http://download.yousendit.com/8587C740372F919C

As you can see, the 2 shots on the deer are good because I was not very far from it (average 12 meters) and the lens at 250 & 350mm.
But if you are far away from the subject, the image is not sharp enough, as you can see with the bird (shot from 50 meters @ 400mm). I think it's because atmospheric trouble.

Hope this helps and sorry for my bad english.

Chris Barcellos February 1st, 2007 12:41 PM

Check out Steven Dempsey's stuff. He has shot a lot of H1 stuff. Here is thread where he posted storm footage, but I remember he had beautiful wildlife footage from Yellowstone up at one point. You might have to contact him directly.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84405

Andrew Davies February 1st, 2007 04:54 PM

Hi Ronan

Merci beaucoup pour ton email. Je suis gallois mais je parle francais parce-que ma femme est Bretonne!

I couldn't access the file as the site wants me to login.

Andrew Davies

Ronan Fournier February 2nd, 2007 01:51 AM

What a shame!
Does someone know a site where I can freely upload a 35MB file without registration, and share the link ?

Ronan