DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   locking timecode (new user question) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/86785-locking-timecode-new-user-question.html)

Andy Lunn February 17th, 2007 04:38 PM

locking timecode (new user question)

Hello guys/gals

I have used the z1 in the past and had great results, but always rented one.

I know have the budget to buy a canon, i have been contracted to film a lot of live events using tow cameras, sure its not a massive problem currently, i just align audio cues in fcp and well you know the rest.

Im told the xl H1 has timecode that you can sync with another camera, my questions are..

1. How do you lock the time code, when the second camera is nearly 50 meters away and constanly moving, on and off stage?

2. can you lock the code in to say a z1 as well?

3. what extra equipment would i need?

4. does fcp use this time code without recording it on the tape?

Sorry for the silly questions am quite new to this camera and have a lot to learn, from what i have seen i will buy one of these over the sony z1, is this a good idea?

Daniel Epstein February 17th, 2007 07:03 PM

Yes you can jam timecode with the XLH1 but you have to stay cabled together and Genlocked as well as running free run timecode on both units.
You might want a small black burst generator or a video DA which you can duplicate one of the cameras signals to send to the other camera.
If you want to go wireless there are ways to do it but most people just use free run timecode after syncing the cameras and deal with the drift.
See this link if you want to see one solution
http://www.ambient.de/clockit.html
The XH-G1 can also jam timecode. The Sony cameras and the Canon XH-A1 can just do free run timecode but have no way to be jammed.
In your case it sounds like it doesn't really need to be jammed.
To me the biggest issue you will face with the XLH1 and shooting live events is lens controls (you can only zoom or focus at the same time) so it is good for simple front and center wide to medium shots but not great pulling focus on close moving shots.
You may want to get the SD manual servo lens so you can focus or get an external focus control (ie Chrosziel DV Studio Rig Follow Focus System)
The timecode is recorded on the tape and Final Cut uses it but it is not recorded in the picture if that is what your question really means HTH

Andy Lunn February 18th, 2007 07:44 AM

thanks for the response. i cant get the images to load on your link.

Why can we only zoom or focus at the same time? do we still have iris control? seems very weird. If you have a z1 and hlx1 close is it just a matter of linking them with an xlr cable? to sync the time code?

ps. where does the battery go? cant seem to see it on any photos.

thanks again.

Daniel Epstein February 18th, 2007 08:35 AM

Andy,
Do a google search for ambient and clockit and see if that works for you.

The explanation as to why the Canon 20x and 6X wide angle lens can only zoom or manually focus at the same time is design issues. Apparently they put in one motor/controller to handle both functions and both functions try to use it when manually trying to focus and zoom. As long as you are even resting on the zoom rocker enough to trigger the zoom then you can't change the focus. When you are focusing you can't zoom. I have never heard of any other camera above consumer level with this limitation. There are ways to work around this but usually not in live event coverage. Yes you still have Iris control
As for the timecode issue... no it is not a matter of connecting the different Z1 and XLH1 cameras together. The Z1 only has audio inputs and does not send or receive timecode or genlock signals. You could record the timecode on one of the audio channels of the Z1 but it is not going to be all that more useful in post compared to having an offset on the built in timecode.
The battery goes in a slot at behind the deck side of the camera above the jack pack. Personlly I bought the Anton Bauer adapter and use Hytron 50 batterys instead of the Canon ones.