DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Norwegian Landscape 1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/86875-norwegian-landscape-1-a.html)

Geir Inge February 19th, 2007 07:44 AM

Norwegian Landscape 1

Some clips from the west coast of Norway.
I just call it Norwegian Landscape.
Sonicfire music/Edvard Grieg, "Morning" from Peer Gynt.
File info: 81.4 MB, 2 min 42 sec
Feel free to somment :)
Norwegian Landscape 1

Steven Dempsey February 19th, 2007 08:55 AM

Geir, this is a nice piece. I love seeing the rugged coastline of Norway. Nice choice on the music. I noticed you chose a fellow Norwegian for the job :)

Be careful to keep your pans slow when shooting in 24F, otherwise you will see quite a bit of stuttering, like in some of your footage. This is just the nature of 24fps, fast pans are always a no-no.

Also, cut down the length of some of your edits unless you are going to be revealing something completely different at the end of the shot. Long pans of landscape subjects with no real variety can get a little boring to the viewer.

Anyway, keep it up, I enjoy your work.

D.

Geir Inge February 19th, 2007 09:15 AM

Thanks for your comments Steven.
Well, I must admit to have this weakness, I don't want to cut the lenght of the clips in the editing process, but than again we have some huge fjords over here ;-)
About the speed of pan, I have to remember this one, thanks.
The pile of stones you see at 1.25, which I'm standing on, it's a viking graveyard, we have 60 like this one on this little island where I shot this clip.
I'm born and raised just 50 meters from this pile.
I also forgot to set the white balance on one of the clips :(
The music, I had to use it on this one, after all I'm a Norwegian patriot :)

Tony Davies-Patrick February 20th, 2007 06:39 AM

I agree with most of what Steven has said. Not only the speed of the pan but also the pan needs to be smooth and at same speed throughout instead of stuttering in stages, slowing down and speeding up - I know that it is dificult to sometimes to do a smooth full circle pan, so try to do it many times and then pick the best one of the bunch during the edit stage.

I would have maybe placed the short 'walking to the edge of the cliff clip' at the beginning instead of the end to provide an opennig impact and then crossfaded it in, or done a follow-up slow lifting pan to the background mountains surrounded by water.

Nice work, Geir, and at least you're lucky enough to have awesome landscapes to work with there...because it has been thick fog for the past 24-hrs in northern France where I'm filming!

Geir Inge February 23rd, 2007 05:42 AM

Hi again.
Well, I've done some changes and hopefully learned something from your advices and tip :) I thank you all for that.

Maybe I have to explain, that this is a small part of a bigger videoproject I'm working on. I'm making a wildlife documetary from the westcoast of Norway, finished (hopefully) late 2007 and with a total lenght of an hour or so.
I'm filming wildlife and also trying to get a historical point of view (vikings graveyard). I'm filming, otter, seal, seabirds and nature and in this short clip you will see just some of it. It's a big task, and I'm not sure how the end product will turn out, yet. That's why I'm happy, that this forum gives me a chance to improve my skills in videomaking and editing :) I also think this forum is the best school to learn from other film-makers around the globe.

Around 16. - 18. March my friend Per Johan will join me and I think we will have some nice days filming wildlife :) We've never actually met before, but share the same interest in wildlife filming. We get in contact through the Norwegian Avid Liquid forum. He also wun the first UWOL contest in this forum.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 23rd, 2007 08:01 AM

Per will be the perfect guide to help you end up with some awesome footage. I wish you luck and all the best in your venture.

Franco Zefferi February 26th, 2007 09:19 AM

fantastic shots.
i really love your country, i was there last summer for 2 weeks holiday, and I really enjoined all those beautiful places your country offer... amazing.
your video brought me back to those days... great video, great job really.
best wishes for your project.
bye
franco

Geir Inge March 5th, 2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Zefferi (Post 632190)
fantastic shots.
i really love your country, i was there last summer for 2 weeks holiday, and I really enjoined all those beautiful places your country offer... amazing.
your video brought me back to those days... great video, great job really.
best wishes for your project.
bye
franco

Thank you very much, Franco.
I must admit that I changed some of the clips after getting advice from Steven and Tony.
I also changed the music, it's made in Sonicfire pro.
DVi is a great forum :)