DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Capturing HD in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/96948-capturing-hd-fcp.html)

Chris Fraser June 20th, 2007 04:17 AM

Capturing HD in FCP

Hi. Hope someone out there can help me.
I've been running my XLH1 on SD on FCP PAL (v 5.0.4) and it works fine.
Recently I shot some HD footage and converted FCP to HD via Easy setup (1080i 50)
FCP can see and control the camera on startup but when I select log and capture the HD capture window appears allowing me to play,stop and jog etc but there is no image on the capture window.
FCP can read the time code but is unable to capture either by logging or 'capture now'.
The XL VCR menu settings are are set to the default settings.
I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Alistair Briggs June 20th, 2007 02:37 PM

Hi
I have a similar problem. I can digitise with the set-up on DV, but FCP refuses to see the camera if settings are for HDV. I have a very old firewire lead (one of the first generation, cost me over £50!! some years ago!) - could it be the cable?
Can anyone put us straight on setting up fcp to in take HDV via the HVD setting!
A.

Chris Fraser June 21st, 2007 02:59 AM

Capturing HD in FCP

Hi Alistair. Can't be the cable. I've tried both 400 and 800 firewire.
I think it's a problem with the camera settings. I was able to load HD footage from a Sony camera using the same FCP settings.
I agree, we need help.

Nick Hiltgen June 22nd, 2007 12:40 PM

Are you certain that FCP 5.0.4 works for the setup you're trying to use? I know many of us had to wait for 5.1 to be released before we were able to import HD footage in NTSC land.

Chris Fraser June 25th, 2007 02:43 AM

Capturing HD in FCP

Thanks Nick. Appreciate your reply. Will get the upgrade and let you know. By the way I'm on Pal.
Thanks again

Nick Hiltgen June 25th, 2007 10:15 AM

Chris, copy that. I think many of the people on this board are ntsc guys unfortunately, and we can only guess at things in PAL land. That being said we were able to import SD out of the camera in 5.0.4 but we needed the upgrade to import hd.

John Kopicko June 25th, 2007 10:39 AM

I encountered the exact same problems while capturing footage. I searched high and low for an answer and I finally found it on another forum. As far as I know this is the reason for your problem. FCP 5.0 and below is not compatible with canon's 24f. You were right to capture off of the easy settings but the 24f conversion simply isn't compatible. I believe that all FCP versions 5.1 and above are indeed compatible with 24f however I have yet to test this. I will be doing so with in the next week as soon as I purchase FCS 2. If this is not correct I apologize but, to the best of my knowledge, this is the right answer.

Jamie Allan June 29th, 2007 05:03 AM

Remember that the 24f mode is fake progressive scan, which is why:

Quote:

the 24f conversion simply isn't compatible.
Which is true for most older version NLEs, I'd advise 6.0+ for complete satisfaction. You could also transcode it, but you'll need a capture card. I don't think this has anything to do with pal/ntsc tho?

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 29th, 2007 11:36 AM

Hi from NTSC land.

The first version of FCP able to ingest 24f via firewire was version 5.1.4.

The only other way to ingest 24f is via the SDI port on the Canon. You will need a card like a Blackmagic or AJA in your Mac to ingest that.

The method of going SDI is very time consuming and boring, involving a long render time to get it to 23.976. If you want the method, then go to LAFCPUG.com and look up my posts under the name "harry323". I gave the whole method there about a year ago in full detail.

Best wishes,

Harry