DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   6x lens length & weight? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/97039-6x-lens-length-weight.html)

Josh Dahlberg June 21st, 2007 12:59 AM

6x lens length & weight?

Hi Guys,

I'm considering the 6x lens. I've searched everywhere on the net but I can't find its dimensions or weight.

How does it compare to the stock 20x? Is it any lighter, shorter? I'm wondering if the camera is any better balanced with the 6x.

And one other thing, does it begin stopping down from f1.6 at about the same focal length as the 20x?

Thanks to anyone who can help :-)

Marty Hudzik June 21st, 2007 06:36 AM

You are out of luck if you are looking for lighter and shorter or better balanced. This thing is the exact opposite of all of that!

It is bigger than the 20x. It is heavier than the 20x. It is slightly longer than the 20x.

It still exhibits the variable iris through the zoom range but being less of a zoom lens it is not so severe. I believe it is 1.6 at full wide and 2.6 at full tele.

All that being said, it is the best looking lens I have ever used. It is sharp as a tack and to me just looks so much better than the 20x in image quality. The 6x range is useful for most shooting except for extreme tele shots.

For me to praise this lens so highly is a big deal since I absolutely hate the servo focus and zoom system on the Canon cams. But the image is astounding.

So if you buy it, do so for the image. Because it isn't like the old 3x which was much smaller, lighter and more convenient.

Peace.

Steve Rosen June 21st, 2007 10:43 AM

Marty: Another thing about the 6x is that because of the short focal length there isn't as much breathing when doing a follow focus... I use the lens whenever I want a cleaner focus transition..

FYI, due to a request from the funder of my next film I have purchased a Panasonic HPX500.. originally I had intended to keep my Canons, because I like them alot, but since this particular film is going to keep me busy for over a year it makes more sense to sell..

So watch the classifieds on this site in early July, I'll be selling an H1 w/ the 20x, a 16x manual, and the 6x WA (and, no, I won't switch lenses).. I am out of town, so it won't do any good to try to contact me before July..

Barlow Elton June 21st, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik (Post 700239)
...it is the best looking lens I have ever used. It is sharp as a tack and to me just looks so much better than the 20x in image quality. The 6x range is useful for most shooting except for extreme tele shots.

For me to praise this lens so highly is a big deal since I absolutely hate the servo focus and zoom system on the Canon cams. But the image is astounding.

So if you buy it, do so for the image. Because it isn't like the old 3x which was much smaller, lighter and more convenient.

Peace.

Image is everything. :)

I too can't praise the 6x enough. It's just awesome...and damn good looking on the H1 too!

Josh Dahlberg June 21st, 2007 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. Very informative.

I currently have an H1 and an A1. I bought the A1 to partner the H1 for event work, but as it turns out I'm generally shooting promos and I don't really need the second cam. I'm thinking of selling the A1 which will pay for the 6x and an HV20 to use as a deck.