DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 still holds up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/113594-xl1-still-holds-up.html)

David H. Castillo January 30th, 2008 04:59 PM

XL1 still holds up

I found a short film I shot with a XL1 back in 2000, sitting on a shelf. I watch the short the other day and was surprized how the image held up. I remember having some filters, a tripod and being very hungover. Oh, the kicker was I cut it on Cinestream, does anyone remember that program? I posted the film titled 'a memory' you will need quicktime 7 to view it.

http://www.bluebarnpictures.com/blog/

Cheers

Castillo

Chris Hurd January 30th, 2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David H Castillo (Post 817303)
I remember having some filters, a tripod and being very hungover.

And how's that any different from every other shoot you've ever done?

Anyway, great post, thanks.

Jenny made dinner for us and the only thing missing was you. Scott, Baby Mia and Thunder all said hello.

Chris Soucy January 31st, 2008 03:52 AM

Sorry David............

it just comes up empty for me, there's other stuff there that can be watched, could be me, could be it.

CS

David H. Castillo January 31st, 2008 08:26 AM

Chris

I missed the reunion, I got a couple drunk dials at 2 in the morning from the crew. I have a feeling we all might find ourselves at the Peppermill in the near future.

Chris Hurd January 31st, 2008 08:38 AM

Ahh... what better way to show the love than the ubiquitous drunk dial.

If I had been with them that night, we could have found the Cortez without rousing you.

Looking forward to near-future excursions...

(for Chris S., the XL1 video on David's blog loads fine for me in FireFox).

Chris Soucy January 31st, 2008 09:48 AM

Hi CH..............

Starting to feel like we're married - I just KNEW you were going to say that!

But, NAH, it's a Quicktime thing I guess. Don't know how many versions of it download a week but seems like a lot, all of 'em run once and then never again, no matter what inducements I try.

Seems QT doesn't like WXPSP2, or maybe it's just me.

Slightly (er, slightly!) off topic: was wandering around the gallery having been given the keys the other day - had always had a mental image of you (as one does) as a sort of Grissom from CSI, discovered a Suggs clone from Madness.

Strange transformation.

Still in shock.

Have a good one.

CS

Chris Hurd January 31st, 2008 10:08 AM

Ha! Lorinda thinks it's someone else, but that's probably just the booze talkin'.

How did we get so far off topic? Oh yeah -- it was my fault.

David H. Castillo January 31st, 2008 11:47 AM

I switch from flash to H264 compression, forgetting the 90% of the PC users. The below is quicktime 7 which will enable you to watch the videos on the blog.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Sorry about I'm living in my mac bubble.

Castillo

Don Palomaki January 31st, 2008 11:56 AM

An interesting short, and effective. But probably more effective reaching an older (vs. younger) audience that can relate to what the protagonist feels.

What is the music? Proof that sound is very important.

David H. Castillo January 31st, 2008 12:12 PM

Don

Thanks, I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the musician

Peer Landa January 31st, 2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 817705)
What is the music? Proof that sound is very important.

Yea, the foley is kind of crappy, but the shoot itself is great.

-- peer

Lorinda Norton January 31st, 2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 817648)
Ha! Lorinda thinks it's someone else, but that's probably just the booze talkin'.

Well! I scrolled down to compliment this gentleman on his post and clip, and what do I find? I have to defend myself…on two counts! (Who you callin’ a boozer, there, CH? ;)

On the other count, I give exhibit A.

Back to the original topic, from one who still uses an XL1(s) I want to thank you, David, for making me feel better about it!

Now where did I put that beer…

;)

Don Palomaki February 1st, 2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Yea, the foley is kind of crappy,...
Would you care to elaborate?

Tim Hodgson February 1st, 2008 10:57 AM

I remember Cinestream. Great software, ahead of it's time in many ways.

It was bought and sold a few times before it was intentionally murdered by Autodesk. That's the way it's done isn't it? Can't make a product as good as their's, then buy them out and kill their's, that then makes you the best, right?

I also remember at the time, that there was some reference that Cinestream originated with a program called Edius. I wonder if there is any connection to Grass Valley's Edius by any chance?

Hmmm ....

Tim

David H. Castillo February 1st, 2008 03:13 PM

Hey Tim

I throw this one out to Chris Bourne as well. Do your remember Cleaner 5, it was a fantastic compression software, I think even better then the currant Apple Compressor. The BBP gang was going through some old footage when we came across DVExpo 1999 with a very young Adam Brooks talking about Cleaner 5 and Media100. I also found a vey young handsome Hurd with an XL1s in his hand from an expo from 2002.

Cheers