DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon Vs Sony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1185-canon-vs-sony.html)

Rhett Allen March 15th, 2002 02:40 PM

A monopod is a very nice addition (after a tripod) Bogen (Manfrotto) makes a bunch of different ones and they are very reasonable in price (model 558B $75.00) and has the same quick release as the tripod.
The PD-150 does have 16:9 option but it will just cut the top and bottom of your image off (not good-low quality). You should look at an anamorphic lens like the Century Optics DS-1609-SB (about $700.00 retail) This will optically compress the picture so it uses the whole CCD when recording. You shoot in 4:3 mode and it looks vertically stretched until you put it on a 16:9 monitor. Like the old movies they used to show on TV where everyone looked tall and skinny.
As far as sound, SONY has a little DAT recorder (PCM-M1 about $800) that I have used before and I like it because it is so small but it is stereo mini input, so you are back to the BeachTek. I am trying to find a small mixer that has 4-8 inputs, and is battery powered so I can move around a little better. Right now we use a Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro which is nice and has 16 channels but is rack mounted and not very portable. I remember reading an article on 2-pop a while back about a small mixer but they have just destroyed that site and you can't find anything anymore, so I don't go there anymore. If someone can recommend one I am listening too.

Rhett

Ken Tanaka March 15th, 2002 04:18 PM

I think you'll be happier with that 501 head.

Re: the monopod, it's pretty useless for camera stabilzation. I have occasionally tried one with my GL1 but, honestly, just practicing holding the cam steady and rehearsing free moves will serve you better. Some people dangle them from the camera bottom and claim some degree of steady-cam effect. It's mainly malarkey but if it makes them feel better, why not.

GWPGearWorx March 15th, 2002 04:33 PM

ACK !!!!! hahahaha I think the blood is rushing to my head all of this equipment to buy to do what I need. I know this is NOT a cheap business to get into but I just have to great a love for film not to.

I decided to get the other tripod and the 501 fluid head like you said, spend a little more instead of fighting with it for an hour to get a smooth pan... I did that with my old analog cam one to many times.

Also the monopod will cost me $60 :) so that is not to bad at all.

I will be purchasing the:

CENTURY OPTICS DS-1609-SB

and the

RECTANGULAR SUNSHADE/GLASS FILERHOLDER DS-FH44-00

that holds 2 4x4 filters..... At a later date for sure but the list price here is $1300 just for the lense and another $600 for the sunshade/filterholder so the cash is not there right now ;)

I will post a complete list of stuff I am buying in about 30 mins :)

GWPGearWorx March 15th, 2002 06:00 PM

Ok I have come to the final conclusion on what items I am purchasing. :) Follow the link (refresh the page a few times to get up to date page) The items that have pictures are the items I will picking up all at once also two cases of DV Film (20 in all). It is costing me $9173.00 For the lot leaving me with $1826.89 which will be there to purchase the other small but needed items such as more advertising, extra tapes, cleaners, marker tape and a bunch of other small items. Also there is a list below the pictures that show a few other items I am building or plan on buying in the near future.

My Equipment: http://members.shaw.ca/kloudi/equipment.htm

I am pretty happy with the items I am buying as I am sure they will serve me well.

Please let me know what you think of my final list of goodies hehe.

Ed Frazier March 15th, 2002 07:17 PM

I use the Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer. It has excellent mic preamps (at least acording to Mackie) and will supply balanced XLR Main Out at mic levels. It is not battery powered but is a very versatile box.

One feature that we use often is to take two channels and configure them as an intercom. Using headsets, two or more crew members can be in constant communitation while at the same time monitoring the main output of the mixer. Intercom audio does not go to Main Outs but is available at the headphone jack.

I also feed camera audio (headphone jack) back into the mixer (channels muted to prevent feedback) and by pushing a couple of buttons, am able to monitor the camera without having to change headphones.

Mike Butler March 20th, 2002 04:54 PM

I bought a monopod but hardly ever use it, except with my 35mm still camera when using an extra long tele (which has the screw socket for the pod on the lens with a rotating sleeve so you can turn the camera from horizontal to vertical).

Oh yes, and on the Elura when I need to hold it up overhead like from within a crowd.

If you are not going to do either, I'd suggest taking the same money and putting it nto a dolly. It is amazing how much more versatile it makes your tripod.