DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Metallic "teeth on foil" sound on audio peaks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/146159-metallic-teeth-foil-sound-audio-peaks.html)

John Paulsel March 19th, 2009 08:55 AM

Metallic "teeth on foil" sound on audio peaks

I had a off-and-on problem with audio on my XL-1. Regardless of the mic used (on camera, wireless lav or handheld), I sometimes get a short, annoying metallic noise that only shows up in the peaks of audio when recording voice. The levels are fine and it's not distortion from too much gain. Even if I turn the gain to a below normal level, I can still get the noise in the peak areas. I can't hear it while monitoring recording. Oh, and if I'm not dreaming, it happens more when recording female talent vs. male (perhaps the higher frequency of a woman's voice?).

It's due for a tune-up, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem and if a simple tune-up/realignment, etc. took care of it.

This camera is close to "retirement" so I don't want to invest much more money than the cost of a tune-up.

Thanks!

John Paulsel March 19th, 2009 09:01 AM

I said "had" and meant "have"

Didn't want to imply that I no longer have the problem! I still have it occasionally.

Bob Hart March 19th, 2009 05:19 PM

This is likely an electronic issue within the audio system with a high-frequency spike going into the clipping zone. But just maybe it might simply be a bit of loose crud like a sliver of dried grass or a hair fragment inside the microphone capsule or maight also be a ripple in the mylar diaphragm which might be causing a particular sensitivity in a narrow frequency band.

Try turning the camera upside-down, then face-down whilst holding it close in front of an operating desk fan operating at its slowest setting and see what that does to it. No warranty of satifactory cure is made either express or implied.

Don Palomaki March 19th, 2009 05:51 PM

What you describe sort of sounds a bit like a clipping situation.

Tell us more about your configuration (including adapters, mics, sources, etc) and settings (including gain seetings) of the camcorder when this happens?

Is this in capture audio only, or in analog playback form the camcorder as well?

Can you post a link to a few seconds of the audio (in a .WAV file) that exhibits the problem?

Les Wilson March 19th, 2009 07:29 PM

That metallic description could be used to describe playback I experienced on my XL1s. I had it serviced and it solved it.

John Paulsel March 26th, 2009 05:31 PM

Metallic audio sound

Thanks for replying. Don, I'm using the standard XLR adaptor with a Shure wireless UP4 portable receiver, U1UA transmitter and a standard lav. I can't duplicate the problem anywhere else except on the XL1. I also get the same intermittent problem using the standard on-camera mic with a wind sock. I've also tried a wired Shure mic and still had the problem.

Setting-wise, I've tried everything... manual...auto...recording a bit low and bumping up in post, etc. Doesn't seem to matter. I've tried cranking the gain just to see if it got worse; it didn't.

I can't hear it when recording either through the camera monitor or the Shure monitor, but can hear it during camera playback. It's also audible when I playback on a Panasonic DV recorder deck that I use for capture.

The real pain is it that it is intermittent. I'm sure it will work just fine if I send the camera in for repair. Again, this camera is just about at the end of it's life cycle for me so I don't want to spend much to fix it.