DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   "X" the xl-1s ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/14900-x-xl-1s.html)

Sean Sheehan September 23rd, 2003 08:13 PM

"X" the xl-1s ?

I'm having my third issue with my camera in its first year. That does not include several issues with Irvine's repair site. After 2 back focus problems and recent replacement of heads. My clips are displaying two large colored dots in the upper left and bottom right corners of my footage. Checked monitor and other dv tapes in my camera from sony camera and no dots. The dots have increased in size for footage from 6 months shows them much smaller. Any assistance or comments are needed asap. This will be the 3rd time in less than 7 months that the camera will need repair. I love the camera for its perfect for the conditions and setting I shoot in. X it or not???? (dots appear in night and low light conditions) thanks dv community.

Jeff Donald September 23rd, 2003 08:57 PM

Can you post any samples?

Sean Sheehan September 23rd, 2003 11:53 PM

posting details needed

this site is new for me. i can post them or email if needed. i will have them shortly .....

Nathan Gifford September 24th, 2003 10:28 AM

If you have a website put them there. Viruses are so common some people may be reluctant to open them in e-mail.

Sean Sheehan September 24th, 2003 07:01 PM

thanks for the info dv com. looks like a pixel problem and i will contact canon. once i have some details i will post again......

it should b interesing on how canon deals with this being its my 3rd problem.....

my next shoot i will use a fulll manual lens and see if problem continues

Jeff Donald September 24th, 2003 08:56 PM

For people reading this thread, Sean emailed me (don't worry, I've a Mac) and he sent images that show hot pixels in low light scenes. I urged Sean to contact Canon and go over his service issues and concerns and see what they offer to do. This topic has been covered before and Canon will, under some conditions, treat hot pixels as a warranty service.

Sean Sheehan September 25th, 2003 07:07 AM

XXX - 3 strike rule?

Jeff , I just finished shooting with a full manual 14x zoom lens. It's another strike with the pixels on my footage. I thought that a pixel was a lens issue ?
As for contacting Canon ?
First, I must brush off the dirt, recover, and prepare for this match up. This has been a rough year for this newcomer and his canon.

Jeff Donald September 25th, 2003 07:28 AM

No, pixels are a camera issue. Pixels (Picture Elements) are transistors that are covered by a lens, that make up your CCD's.

James Emory September 28th, 2003 07:02 PM

Hot Pixels

Sean. I have a standard XL-1 and have had the same issue with bad pixels in the CCD block. Three bad pixels with highest being the north star! Below is a link to my post when I discovered these with more info and the cost for repair if your camera is not under warranty. According to Canon, the S models can be electronically masked without having to replace the entire CCD block.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=10567

Sean Sheehan September 29th, 2003 10:16 AM

thanks for the info

i'll take a look at your link and will post some samples sooon. Unfortunately, my camera will not play mini dv tapes. the sound and footage is not playing correctly. my heads were just replaced. the camera is under warranty and is only 7 months old. i left a messsage on thursday with my customer-service rep in irvine. no reply from them. i also had to cancell 2 jobs that were scheduled from last month last month. as new business owner with a new camera this has been a 1st bad year. very stressed and disappointed.........

Sean Sheehan October 4th, 2003 08:59 AM

"x" update

thanks for the link james and the dv community. it's a little less stress on me and my new camera that i found this site. spoke with "my" irvine rep and will drop it off this week. they said the chip will be replaced and my drums checked for playback problems. one interesting fact: i send the camera/lens in its proper canon "safe foam", but, it never has been returned in it ????
maybe the shipping department needs to review canon's rules for sending it back to the consumer.....
my fingers are crossed : don't "x" the canon

Sean Sheehan October 23rd, 2003 07:13 AM

"X" the CANON XL-1s part II

Jeff its a rough and tuff time for me and my canon. Can I pm a warden before I report my latest details on my camera? Or is it best to post my details?

Before I post part II - can someone help me at a warden level ?????? I like my camera and have respect for your site and its future users, however, canon has not showed me any ......

Actions would speak louder than words or posts and CANON has me feeling like " AN X HOLE " .......

please help before I lose my love for this industry....

Jeff Donald October 23rd, 2003 07:23 AM

I sent you an email. I'm going to temporarily lock this post and you won't be able to respond. It will be unlocked after we correspond.

Sean Sheehan November 25th, 2003 08:53 AM

"XXX" the canon xl-1s

This is part 3 of "X" the Canon.

Dear DVI + BH Photo :

This week is a special one and I owe it all to DVI and BH Photo. A new camera is due this week. BH confirmed they have "the xl-1s lemon".

Your assistance, support, and sponsor has given me hope with the xl-1s. Canon-Irvine has lost me as a consumer/promoter, etc....(do they care?)

After all the issues and time wasted with them, I can never work or speak very highly of them...customer service is key in this dv world. It's very sad and I hope they improve soon.....

I'm a small man in size, company budget, and in the dv world. However, my strength is promotions and I can blow a loud horn.

This year you can expect a nice whistle sound and maybe a horn. It will be a posistive one for DVI and BH Photo. In the past week my whistle sent BH 5 new consumers who seeked my advice. For the DVI Community : anyone who meets me will be sent to your site for all dv consumer info.............

Thank You............

soundspeed productions

Sean Sheehan November 30th, 2003 07:20 AM

follow up "x"

the new canon has arrived and tomorrow will be my first event with it. i played with it yesterday and the lens focus is 10x's better.

i did review footage after the old canon was repaired. a small pixel spot appeared and was in a different location.....

i pray this is my last post with "x" the canon and for the record :

the canon xl-1s is a fine camera and i hope the new one has no problems.....

if your new to "x" the xl-1s threads : see others that i posted and you can see the history of my first year with it......

sean sheehan
soundspeed productions
sd.ca.usa